What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t have breakfast and try not to eat until noon, 1100 at a push. So normally, tea, kofee x 2 and later a glass of turmeric. Then towards lunch time a glass of water with a fizzy vit C tablet in. However, if my fasting reading is high then I do have a bit of cheese or a few pork scratchings to calm it down.
Thanks @dunelm. Can I ask a supplementary? What fasting reading would trigger breakfast for you?

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm mildly vexed over missing breakfast for IF (we'll skip the h/m almond milk or even tea for pedants) versus squashing DP. My DP from fasting can be 1 to 1.4 with exercise or no exercise. I am not sure I need extra fat and cals just to dampen that rise. Anyhow, a rise of 1 from a breakfast worth having would be a stretch IMHO. Can I ask how many of you eat breakfast, what kind of thing and what rise/actual level + hrs do you get? TIA

I am sorry I cannot be of much help as I am experimenting with different foods at the moment.

If I don't eat breakfast then my blood sugar rises 1 to 2 points an hour and a half to 2hours later. If I have coffee and cream, or just cashew nuts for my breakfast then an hour an half to 2 hours later, it has risen by about 1 point or more.

But because I get up really early anyway, my dinner time is probably most people's breakfast time. This is usually just a protein meal eg eggs and bacon, and my reading goes down another maybe 2 points, it depends what my starting point in the day was.

But I am experimenting with some Polish breads at the moment. And for my dinner now I am having fried eggs on this Polish bread. And my reading still goes down about two points or a bit less.

The Polish bread is some kind of Ezekiel bread.

But if like this morning, I did some gardening after my nuts but before the eggs and Ezekiel bread, my reading went up just over a point.

This is probably no help at all...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry I cannot be of much help as I am experimenting with different foods at the moment.

If I don't eat breakfast then my blood sugar rises 1 to 2 points an hour and a half to 2hours later. If I have coffee and cream, or just cashew nuts for my breakfast then an hour an half to 2 hours later, it has risen by about 1 point or more.

But because I get up really early anyway, my dinner time is probably most people's breakfast time. This is usually just a protein meal eg eggs and bacon, and my reading goes down another maybe 2 points, it depends what my starting point in the day was.

But I am experimenting with some Polish breads at the moment. And for my dinner now I am having fried eggs on this Polish bread. And my reading still goes down about two points or a bit less.

The Polish bread is some kind of Ezekiel bread.

But if like this morning, I did some gardening after my nuts but before the eggs and Ezekiel bread, my reading went up just over a point.

This is probably no help at all...
Thanks @gennepher. It is very helpful and since your reply mentioned bread it really attracted my attention. Interesting how some foods can lower bg for certain people.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
4.6 this morning clear blue sunny sky this morning though Alexa is warning of thunderstorms later in the day.

@geefull I decided on the White Nights water colour pencils in the end Judith is having a great time experimenting with them.:)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @dunelm. Can I ask a supplementary? What fasting reading would trigger breakfast for you?
I have gone down into the 3’s but not worried about it as I don’t take any medication and have not been wobbly. If it goes above 6 then just a small bit of protein to drag it down a bit.

Reactions: karen8967

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and suffering lockdown media frenzy.

Blood sugars
Yesterday 6.9
Today 6.5

Yesterday was a little difficult, but I managed to survive at least 3 murder attempts.
Mrs J who I mistakenly thought was coping with lockdown reasonably well for a woman, but apparently not so.

It's a good job I am calm, placid and can still duck and run.

Have a good day and remember the clap. Aunties biotics do work reasonably well, so I have been informed.

Have a great afternoon, I shall if allowed.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Breakfasts or breaking the fast.
Unfortunately I have to eat breakfast before I can take my morning medication and 50% of the time the last thing I want is breakfast, but if I don't eat breakfast and take my medication I end up back in hospital drinking not very good koffy.
If I don't take my medication then I die, simple choice really.
Now time for my afternoon nap.......if Mrs J allows.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not tried it before but it seems to have worked well. Just thawed in a bit of milk, quick rinse and then into a jar with some milk. I am trying for slow 24hr fermentations at the moment.
Fingers crossed that it goes really well.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How odd, Moet our Labrador follows us around and plonks himself at our feet whenever we move. Yes I know Labs are sociable but this is intense, he even does it when we are watering the garden. Lies at the bottom of the stairs if we go up, he's never been upstairs in his 13 years. Perhaps they know something we do not or perhaps it's just because we are all together longer under lockdown and the pack instinct is more prominent, still interesting though that both our dogs are doing similar things.
It is interesting that Moet has changed his behaviour also. Perhaps they are picking up that we are worried about the current situation.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm mildly vexed over missing breakfast for IF (we'll skip the h/m almond milk or even tea for pedants) versus squashing DP. My DP from fasting can be 1 to 1.4 with exercise or no exercise. I am not sure I need extra fat and cals just to dampen that rise. Anyhow, a rise of 1 from a breakfast worth having would be a stretch IMHO. Can I ask how many of you eat breakfast, what kind of thing and what rise/actual level + 2 hrs do you get? TIA
I always eat breakfast as I don't feel that good if I skip it. Usually have kefir, inulin, flax seeds, hemp seeds and a few berries and flaked almonds and a spoonful of Greek yoghurt Or - like this morning - bacon, eggs and mushrooms or an omelette with cheese.

The rise in blood sugars after breakfast are chaotic. Usually between 0.5 to 2.5. There seems to be no connection between what I have eaten and the rise in after meal blood sugars. So this morning after the bacon and egg it was 2.5.

I like to finish eating mid afternoon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Earlier I asked about your breakfast habit versus IF and the numbers that resulted. Not prying just trying to improve this pattern - really don't want the skyscrapers. In the time covered I think all the levels are higher than normal but the pattern is very usual.

upload_2020-5-21_17-16-51.png

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always eat breakfast as I don't feel that good if I skip it. Usually have kefir, inulin, flax seeds, hemp seeds and a few berries and flaked almonds and a spoonful of Greek yoghurt Or - like this morning - bacon, eggs and mushrooms or an omelette with cheese.

The rise in blood sugars after breakfast are chaotic. Usually between 0.5 to 2.5. There seems to be no connection between what I have eaten and the rise in after meal blood sugars. So this morning after the bacon and egg it was 2.5.

I like to finish eating mid afternoon.
Thank you so much @Krystyna23040 . The Greek yogurt, inulin, flaxseed and berries combo is where my tastes would lie. Never tried kefir and almonds mainly work as almond milk for me. After almost 5 years I can eat 2 or 3 whole almonds now.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask how many of you eat breakfast, what kind of thing and what rise/actual level + 2 hrs do you get? TIA
I struggle to face the day without breakfast.

If I rise early my Readings are usually in the 5s if I stay in bed a hour longer they rise into the 6s. Breakfast is usually protein, smoked salmon, ham, cheese and always a couple of dessert spoons of Full Fat yogurt with seeds and almonds, now also a slice of the Skinny Bread you introduced me to. Reading then Rise less than 1 unless I exercise (aerobic) which can push them up 1.5 or more but then the reading can be some 3 to 4 hours after eating so probably does not count for much. As I am only finger pricking I have no idea what goes on in between.

In all honesty, After 12 months of testing much of the information is still a mystery and continues to surprise or baffle me.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New set of lead pencils Fabre Castell arived today so have been playing with them. Here is one of many pencil sketches, this is part of a tree at the bottom of our garden....

IMG_3183.JPG

Then I realised I had not done the weekly challenge for our family meal on Friday night. Subject Tiger Lily in a pond. So did a very quick watercolour A4 trying to get the Tigers face in the reflections of the pond amongst the Lily Pads. MRs MC said I have failed and she can't see a Tigers Face :banghead: so I risk my poor reputation as a person who tries to be an artist and post it here, don't laugh or groan too much I'm sure I will get pleanty of that Friday night from the rest of the family :playful:
IMG_3181.JPG