Anyone still working or been called back to work recently?

DotsDots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1 and a Nurse in the NHS. I received a phone call today and told to expect a shielding letter. I’m very confused as working all the way through including today.

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m type 2 and have been working for NHS throughout. I asked to work from home but was told not possible. My union did say I should be enabled to work from home but when my employer ( NHS) said no it’s not on the shielding list so you have to come in, the advice from my union rep was to see my GP!! I didn’t do that. I also have high blood pressure and a BMI of 34 so all three high risk conditions! My personal view is that diabetics should be shielding but the government realised how many people that would involve so downgraded it to at increased risk! All about money not health sadly.

Kreade1958

That's strange! I wonder why? Different GP, different view maybe?
I have been off since February 26th as had knee replacement. T2D, hypertension and take various meds including statin. I am night nurse in home that has covid patients and I can't say I'm overly thrilled about going back Que sera I suppose!

Richmy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i've been furloughed since the 1st of April but got a call to go back to work next Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, is that advisable? Or should I still be self isolating? I didn't actually get a letter saying I should be isolating for 12 weeks...maybe due to my age (28) and the fact I'm still sort of newly diagnosed? (Got diagnosed less than 2 years ago). Last time I got my BP checked I got told it was good, and my usually ranges between 6-8 mmol, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or info that could help, thanks in advance.

nclemale

i've been furloughed since the 1st of April but got a call to go back to work next Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, is that advisable? Or should I still be self isolating? I didn't actually get a letter saying I should be isolating for 12 weeks...maybe due to my age (28) and the fact I'm still sort of newly diagnosed? (Got diagnosed less than 2 years ago). Last time I got my BP checked I got told it was good, and my usually ranges between 6-8 mmol, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or info that could help, thanks in advance.
I have been off for 9 weeks now. Luckily fully paid. Due back on the 15th june. Am 49 and been type 1 since I was 9. Complications started a a few years ago. I feel being at work helps me keep me physically better but if I get a chest infection it knocks me out so Coronavirus I think would get me bad. If your fit and healthy and your sugars are balanced then I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Richmy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been of since 5th of April I’m type 2 and insulin dependent and tablets I had mild symptoms of covid 19 but was extremely ill my security company will only pay statutory sick pay £95.48 a week I received a letter from Nhs 4 weeks later to say I was I risk so I had to sheilding for 12 weeks which runs out 1st of July wether they extend it I don’t know

Fedupsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never have self isolated, should I have?

suzanjm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have been at home with type1 and asthma since the 14th March. Schools are going back on the 1st June and my boss would like me back in the classroom, I am not going! They will not be maintaining social distancing or allowing “at risk” staff to wear masks in case we worry the children. I didn’t get a shielding letter either as the government decided we weren’t extremely vulnerable only critically vulnerable. My anxiety levels are through the roof and that’s not good for blood sugar levels either!

Nichola211

Hey should I be worried about going back to work? I’m asthmatic and was told I was type 1 a few months ago. My hbc1was 64. Is it safe for me to go to work and my kids to go to school? Can I say no to work? Where do I stand?

Malcolm.Smith

I’m type 1 and have been cycling into work every Monday’s and Tuesdays because my work said the official government website didn’t mention diabetes as an at risk group despite everyone else saying it was. Now they’re telling me in need to go in Monday to fridays business as usual despite half my team not coming in as they live 2 hours by train away . Don’t think that’s very fair , plus my workload will treble as I’m having to do their work as well as mine.

Rob 1

I am a type 1 Registered Nurse working in a large teaching hospital, I have not been furloughed & I believe diabetics are not generally furloughed, just advised to work from home if possible, unfortunately that is not possible for most front line staff & I found myself dealing with Covid patients, I contracted Covid Pneumonia & was hospitalised, touch & go, but pulled through, in total I was off sick for 7 weeks, I am now, after annual leave, due back at work next Thurs, I still feel under the weather, but going back on shortened hours, I truly believe that Diabetics should all be furloughed, however there are approximately 4 million Diabetics in the UK, which is clearly not feasable for them all to stay at home, There are around 200 thousand type 1 Diabetics, which I believe should have been furloughed, type 1 Diabetics are three & a half times more likely to die & type 2 are twice as likely to die from Covid, sober reading, am just hopeful that having had Covid O have a level of immunity.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was sent home just as the Government advice was being issued, 9wks now, and our policy is to work from home so I feel lucky that they are trying their best to look after me. My wife has received a text saying that she should be shielding (we were already for her condition) but I don't know if I should be as a T1 (history of a stroke, High Blood pressure and due to my weight training am classed as morbidly obese< go figure) so I would say that I'm at risk. But again work are not expecting me in at all until the advice say's its ok. Heart goes out to others that are expected in.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A slightly different dilemma for me. I’ve not worked for sometime for various reasons. Last year I volunteered.

Last month my oh who is a Ltd company director had all work cancelled with little chance of more. Furlough in his circumstances is a tiny proportion of our usual family income due to the structure of his income. So we have next to nothing coming in money wise. We’re ok right now but it’s not sustainable. Probably going to lead to a career change shortly before retirement at much lower rates. Kids heading off to uni to be supported imminently too!

Today I was invited to apply for a paid role where I volunteered. It’s not a bad job, low pay but I’m not likely to achieve higher rates easily after a total change of career a few years back that I can’t return to, it will keep me active and they state they have appropriate distancing etc.

Now I’m in a dilemma. I barely leave the house, all shopping done online or in a near empty wholesaler. I’m very strictly social distancing. And having a fair amount of anxiety. My plan was to apply for work in a few months time when everything hopefully is “safer“. Now this has dropped in my lap and I don’t know what to do. Grab the opportunity and squash the anxiety and be as safe as I can or wait it out as originally planned and hope I find something later. Rest of the family are less “cautious” in attitude but complying for my sake and don’t see my issue. I want to hide away but know that financially and for mental health generally I need to work (covid worries aside). If only this happened in a month or twos time.

Joan AH

You didn’t say what’s your line of work is?
I’ve been working constantly as a retail manager with several thousand people passing thru the doors. Main concern is what people see as essential items , I’ve been subject to people using their Nhs cards to get into store quickly and avoid queuing just to buy wool !! Very frustrating and frightening you would think that people would know better !! Just keep yourself safe keep your distance and wash hands as often as possible

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I was initially sent home from work (pharmacy) for 3 weeks. I was then asked about how I felt about returning to work but on limited duties such as not serving customers Etc. My boss and colleagues have been great at helping to keep my shielded at work the best they can, but not always possible. Touch wood I’ve been fine so far, I have had type 1 for 17 years and I’m 28 years old. No other medical needs apart from diabetes. Hba1c is 80 so not great. Definitely worth speaking to your HR department as I’m not sure what work you do. Hope this helps

Claire23280

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Putting on weight
I’ve been working through out , I’ve been face to face with patients as I work in the community,NHS but I ensure I’ve got my PPE in place and I check for symptoms before I do anything . I’m type 1 and your BM’s seem good so wear a mask , wash your hands often and use sanitiser if you have it. More importantly try not to worry as all that will do is raise your BM.

AUDREY.CORR

This is my first time posting on site, I’m not sure if I have done this right,newly diagnosed type 2 on metforman,I am 53 with high blood pressure on tablets and high cholesterol on tablets and 94kg, I did not receive a letter to self isolate,so have been working as a theatre nurse in the NHS,wearing all the PPE. Over the past few weeks I have been struggling with dehydration,stress so diet not soo good,I have told my employer I’m sruggling but not taken me out of theatre, week before last I developed blurred vision, head aches and severe tiredness. Got blood checked HBAIC was 7.9 I asked for annual leave Have been off now for 3 week feel a lot better but I can keep taking annual leave, am worried to go back

GrumpyGandalf

I've been working throughout. As a HGV my time with other people is limited I wear gloves, sanitised frequently and wear a mask. Ask your employer what safety measures they have in place and voice your concerns if you have any. My employer introduced staggered start times, a one way system for pedestrians within the workplace and one driver in the transport office at a time. All the best.

gazt5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why haven't these amazing scientific advisors revised policy and got letters issued to diabetic community??
Project fear or not I will not be in no workplace until the 12 weeks minimum are up.
Shameful and shambolic

sb2057

Been working from home for 12 weeks and company has said no plans to bring anyone back into the office until at least September as the work is still getting done effectively. But I would go back tomorrow if I could! I really don't think there is any significant risk for anyone with decent control and good general health but I understand the nervousness of those who have other issues. I hope employers are understanding.