Lockdown diagnosis

glastobeth

Hi All , got diagnosed 26th March , 2 days after my lockdown birthday . Its been scary as GP cant give me usual support . Tried very low carb for 3 weeks and made me ill . Now on low carb and metformin , 500 mg every other day , have only had one initial blood test then lockdown . Not sure what im doing right or wrong , blood sugar was 5.1 tonight ? advice would be good
Im 49 and vegetarian ( eat eggs and dairy )

Reactions: LaoDan

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure what im doing right or wrong , blood sugar was 5.1 tonight ?
Hi @glastobeth , and welcome to the forum!

If your bg was 5.1 tonight you're definitely doing something right, it's a perfect number!
If you keep seeing numbers like that you'll be perfectly fine, even if it takes a bit longer to get your follow up appointments.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Going very low carb can lead to what is known as keto flu you may want to google it and read what it is.

Having said that 5.1 is great! Keep going! That is absolutely awesome.

Reactions: EllieM

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All , got diagnosed 26th March , 2 days after my lockdown birthday . Its been scary as GP cant give me usual support . Tried very low carb for 3 weeks and made me ill . Now on low carb and metformin , 500 mg every other day , have only had one initial blood test then lockdown . Not sure what im doing right or wrong , blood sugar was 5.1 tonight ? advice would be good
Im 49 and vegetarian ( eat eggs and dairy )
Here's another one who'll tell you it was probably keto/carb flu. It can make one feel wreched. You're detoxing, in effect, going cold turkey, and your body is expelling massive amounts of liquid at the same time. Carbs cause water retention, and with the carbs gone, the water goes too. And a lot of minerals/electrolytes with it. So you end up dehydrated while your body is trying to figure out the new normal. Headaches, general aches and pains, fatigue etc are part and parcel of that, and it usually takes between a week and a week or two. (If you've come from a very high carb diet, it can take a long time. If you restart carbs in the meantime, it'll take longer too).

So basically, you went low carb, and got a kick in the head (or daily kicks in the head as the case may be, because those headaches are awful!). If this ever happens again, try drinking plenty of bone broth and getting mineral and electrolyte supplements. That should help a whole lot with getting everything back up to par until your body's adjusted.

All in all though... 5,1? Excellent!

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little with answering the right-or-wrong question. ;)

Good luck, and good going on the 5,1mmol/l!
Jo