Anyone still working or been called back to work recently?

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
I’m type 1, have been for 30years and I’m 46yo. I’ve been working right through this and have no issues being at work. I’m a residential worker in a children’s home and the kids have no concept of social distancing or the need to stay safe. One of them has been fined seven times for being out for no reason and he has a bad cough but refuses to get tested. Will have full PPE that I wear every day I’m working. I couldn’t have sat at home all this time as it would have driven me mental, but that’s the choice I’ve made and I hope to come out the other side safe and well, fingers crossed

Reactions: Tony337

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i've been furloughed since the 1st of April but got a call to go back to work next Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, is that advisable? Or should I still be self isolating? I didn't actually get a letter saying I should be isolating for 12 weeks...maybe due to my age (28) and the fact I'm still sort of newly diagnosed? (Got diagnosed less than 2 years ago). Last time I got my BP checked I got told it was good, and my usually ranges between 6-8 mmol, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or info that could help, thanks in advance.
Like you diagnosed just over three years ago, was.told to stay at home since middle of march, may go back to work for one morning a week from end of july and only if measures are in place, being working from home since mid April as needed to receive work laptop, mentally i like to go back to work, but worry about picking up anything at work, the constant need to wipe everything all the time and use communal toilets does throw me

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'd like to tell you all as a customer, patient and user of the product or service you supply me and my household with is........I'd not want you to sacrifice your health for us. Ever. So..... unless your boss can ensure your safety then they will face the law.
YOU are the best judge of what you need to be kept safe, in your working environment.

I fully support your decisions.
Keep safe!

AHAB1969

Hello My Diabetic Brothers n' Sisters, I am a 51 year-old Type1 of 28 years and also a Postie, So any kind of social distancing is impossible not to mention the hundreds of potential "dirty" knobs and flaps (sorry could not help myself) I handel each day, I have spent a lifetime cycling and running so I feel I am in good shape, my sugar levels run high at times but overall they are pretty good at about 7 m/l ,I have been off work since 23/03 on my contracted hours (24hr P/T the royal mail do not employ anybody on F/T contracts initially, talking years before you get a F/T contract) as pay so I am surviving able to pay the bills but earning no O/T of course
I received an unprompted call from my surgery on 20/03 telling me to self isolate for three months
The real problem here is that the very first Government "Vulnerable" list asking that group to self isolate did include Diabetics, only for a new list of "Highly Vulnerable" conditions including people with immune conditions etc. The list that recived the NHS letter. ..the first list of "Vulnerable" recived no official recognition at that point.
I had to ask my Dr. for a letter which thankfully he was willing to do.
As a Postie we have a very strong union thankfully, if you do not feel safe in your work pace due to C19 you can always quote the safety at Work act .join your Union.
I am officially off work until 16/06 and far from confident in being safe on my return in any meaningful way because of the nature of my work and how it is done
i am lucky as my manger has been very understanding, but I have heard some real horror stories regarding pressure/bullying of "Vulnerable" Posties
i have read some pretty judgemental views on here in the past " get on with it" etc.which is so wrong everybody should be supportive of all our unique circumstances.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Like you diagnosed just over three years ago, was.told to stay at home since middle of march, may go back to work for one morning a week from end of july and only if measures are in place, being working from home since mid April as needed to receive work laptop, mentally i like to go back to work, but worry about picking up anything at work, the constant need to wipe everything all the time and use communal toilets does throw me
Communal toilets? Who is responsible for them?

sb2057

Hello My Diabetic Brothers n' Sisters, I am a 51 year-old Type1 of 28 years and also a Postie, So any kind of social distancing is impossible not to mention the hundreds of potential "dirty" knobs and flaps (sorry could not help myself) I handel each day, I have spent a lifetime cycling and running so I feel I am in good shape, my sugar levels run high at times but overall they are pretty good at about 7 m/l ,I have been off work since 23/03 on my contracted hours (24hr P/T the royal mail do not employ anybody on F/T contracts initially, talking years before you get a F/T contract) as pay so I am surviving able to pay the bills but earning no O/T of course
I received an unprompted call from my surgery on 20/03 telling me to self isolate for three months
The real problem here is that the very first Government "Vulnerable" list asking that group to self isolate did include Diabetics, only for a new list of "Highly Vulnerable" conditions including people with immune conditions etc. The list that recived the NHS letter. ..the first list of "Vulnerable" recived no official recognition at that point.
I had to ask my Dr. for a letter which thankfully he was willing to do.
As a Postie we have a very strong union thankfully, if you do not feel safe in your work pace due to C19 you can always quote the safety at Work act .join your Union.
I am officially off work until 16/06 and far from confident in being safe on my return in any meaningful way because of the nature of my work and how it is done
i am lucky as my manger has been very understanding, but I have heard some real horror stories regarding pressure/bullying of "Vulnerable" Posties
i have read some pretty judgemental views on here in the past " get on with it" etc.which is so wrong everybody should be supportive of all our unique circumstances.[/Q

Why were you told to isolate for 3 months? That is not the official advice

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting article yesterday from a Headmaster outlining his letter to parents that basically says "we cannot guarantee to keep your children safe". And he is right to be honest about this as it's impossible to socially distance 100% in schools right from the size of classrooms to ventilation to the transport children use to get to and from the school. Then there is how a staff member may have to apply First Aid whilst social distancing and other variables that haven't been looked at. Plus this new concerning Covid related Kawasaki disease in some children. Surely that needs to be looked into first? It's a minefield.
My kids are not back. I've committed my household to learning from home. At our capability limit due to illnesses and conditions. We have to just do what we can. I'm not trained as a teacher but hopefully a good example to my kids. We do some or more if able to. Luckily I had good practice with my older son for little one. Other son is a part-time carer on top of learning and having multiple distractions. But isn't that life anyway? Well for some it seems.

Kjh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This unfortunately is not media hype.
I have decided based on these figures I can not work for the foreseeable future as a childminder I can not socially distance.
Stay strong safe and healthy.
Date bern sent you NHS England.
Please see Partha Kar on Facebook or twitter

Steve_UK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As an insulin dependant type 2 diabetic, I have worked right through this pandemic, due to no offer or instruction to isolate for 12 weeks arriving on my doorstep.

Jules11

i've been furloughed since the 1st of April but got a call to go back to work next Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, is that advisable? Or should I still be self isolating? I didn't actually get a letter saying I should be isolating for 12 weeks...maybe due to my age (28) and the fact I'm still sort of newly diagnosed? (Got diagnosed less than 2 years ago). Last time I got my BP checked I got told it was good, and my usually ranges between 6-8 mmol, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or info that could help, thanks in advance.
Hi I’m type 2 diabetic but also on insulin , I work for the NHS in the hospital and have continued to work, never had a choice, at the start I /everyone was very anxious but I have adjusted and I have to say I don’t think I would have managed aswell if I wasn’t at work, you Must do what you feel comfortable with, I am the only one in our team with underlying health issues and my colleagues have been so fantastic and supportive x

Jules11

Im type 2 .ive been off 6 weeks 2 annual leave and 4 weeks the doc put me off with stress.
I have to go back to my care home saturday as no holiday left and my employer is not happy about paying me ive had a few phone calls asking if im definately coming back.
Not sure how i feel about especially with the news today

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, thanks for replying, the only thing was with meds was asked when joining this practice to tell them what I was taking on prescription, they never questioned why I was taking these meds, I have emailed my doctors tonight explaining all my problems and will wait to see, but the doctors are not very helpful in my surgery, I have had a heart in 2000 which is when I was given Propranolol, have high blood pressure taking meds prescribed for that, high Cholesterol am 37.5 bmi obese,take anxiety and depression meds, and a PPI for my hiatus hernia and have checks every year at the hospital to check my right side voice box as the left does not work which effects my left lung as the lung does not close when I eat or drink due to the flap in my voice box, they told me that if my right side voice box fails like the left side then I would not be able to eat or breath, so think this should be a reason to not go into work.
Do you have copies of medical letters you could share with your GP surgery or names of hospitals and doctors you have seen? Propranolol 40mg is often given for anxiety and palpitations. Could you give your GP surgery the name of your Cardiac Consultant? Results of tests you had to confirm your cardiac arrest etc?

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's strange! I wonder why? Different GP, different view maybe?
I have been off since February 26th as had knee replacement. T2D, hypertension and take various meds including statin. I am night nurse in home that has covid patients and I can't say I'm overly thrilled about going back Que sera I suppose!
Has your orthopaedic surgeon signed you off as fit for work? Was it a full or partial knee replacement? Hope surgery went well and function of the knee and pain has improved.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a type 1 Registered Nurse working in a large teaching hospital, I have not been furloughed & I believe diabetics are not generally furloughed, just advised to work from home if possible, unfortunately that is not possible for most front line staff & I found myself dealing with Covid patients, I contracted Covid Pneumonia & was hospitalised, touch & go, but pulled through, in total I was off sick for 7 weeks, I am now, after annual leave, due back at work next Thurs, I still feel under the weather, but going back on shortened hours, I truly believe that Diabetics should all be furloughed, however there are approximately 4 million Diabetics in the UK, which is clearly not feasable for them all to stay at home, There are around 200 thousand type 1 Diabetics, which I believe should have been furloughed, type 1 Diabetics are three & a half times more likely to die & type 2 are twice as likely to die from Covid, sober reading, am just hopeful that having had Covid O have a level of immunity.
Talk to your GP if you are not well enough because the NHS expects you to hit the ground running

suzanjm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey should I be worried about going back to work? I’m asthmatic and was told I was type 1 a few months ago. My hbc1was 64. Is it safe for me to go to work and my kids to go to school? Can I say no to work? Where do I stand?[/

suzanjm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey should I be worried about going back to work? I’m asthmatic and was told I was type 1 a few months ago. My hbc1was 64. Is it safe for me to go to work and my kids to go to school? Can I say no to work? Where do I stand?
Have a look at the uk gov guidance published on 11th May / clinically vulnerable people, hopefully that will help you.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is my first time posting on site, I’m not sure if I have done this right,newly diagnosed type 2 on metforman,I am 53 with high blood pressure on tablets and high cholesterol on tablets and 94kg, I did not receive a letter to self isolate,so have been working as a theatre nurse in the NHS,wearing all the PPE. Over the past few weeks I have been struggling with dehydration,stress so diet not soo good,I have told my employer I’m sruggling but not taken me out of theatre, week before last I developed blurred vision, head aches and severe tiredness. Got blood checked HBAIC was 7.9 I asked for annual leave Have been off now for 3 week feel a lot better but I can keep taking annual leave, am worried to go back
Have you spoken to Occupational health and your union?

Kreade1958

Has your orthopaedic surgeon signed you off as fit for work? Was it a full or partial knee replacement? Hope surgery went well and function of the knee and pain has improved.
Knee is good thank you. Having been in pain for years would highly recommend! Swells in heat but that happens for up to a year apparently! Off to my return to work interview in couple hours as back monday and will remind my boss of being clinically vulnerable but let's be honest, their only concern will be they dont have to pay out to agency to cover my shifts anymore! 38 patients currently and only nurse on shift so adds to stress and physical load. See how it goes methinks but wish they hadn't changed retirement age lol. I would have been sitting pretty these last 2 years!!

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have worked throughout...…
Type 1 of 45 years and a school caretaker.
Well controlled with a hba1c in the 6s.
I take anti depressants and am fine mentally but the thought of being off for a length of time is more worrying than the virus.
I keep myself to myself as best I can.

I am not saying what i'm doing is right i'm just saying that's what and why i'm doing it...…

Good luck everyone

Tony

Duotrans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been of since 5th of April I’m type 2 and insulin dependent and tablets I had mild symptoms of covid 19 but was extremely ill my security company will only pay statutory sick pay £95.48 a week I received a letter from Nhs 4 weeks later to say I was I risk so I had to sheilding for 12 weeks which runs out 1st of July wether they extend it I don’t know
Prof. Jason Leitch indicated last week that it is unlikely that those in the shielding group will return to society as normal (old normal) at the end of the 12 weeks, but guidelines will depend on which country you’re in.