Worried I’m diabetic and red feet issue

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello,

It’s been a while since I posted but in 2015 I had a hba1c of 40. I was 36 years old at the time. I’m 5FT tall and weigh 9 stone so not overweight and my diet isn’t bad. My go at the time said they were fine and to not think about it and he didn’t see the need to re test.

It was included in a routine blood test in 2015. Then in 2016 I had routine tests again due to fatigue issues, my hba1c then was 35, tested again and it was 35 and the most recent in July 2017 was 34.

My new GP at the time had a real thing about diabetes as his young son had recently been diagnosed with it. He did a hba1c late 2016 and random glucose on the same day. I hate needles and had a severe panic attack before and during the test. I also ate a Naked bar (fruity cereal bar) half an hour before the test. The random glucose came back at 8.9 and hba1c 35. He wouldn’t let it drop and hounded me with phone calls for months saying he thought I was diabetic, then he was worried I had cancer as my lymphocytes were a tint bit out of range as was my sodium. He would call weekly asking me to repeat my sodium, repeat my hba1c, repeat my glucose, and be even wrote to a haematologist about my lymphocytes which he said were fine. I ended up with anxiety from all the worry he caused me and I literally couldn’t do another test my anxiety got so bad.

He left to go to a new practice nearer to his sons school and on the day he left he rung me and asked if there was any department in the hospital I’d like him to refer me to. I had fatigue, was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and he was still trying to diagnose something else. I politely declined.

I had a full blood count in the July 2017 and all was ok. Lymphocytes still a tiny bit out of range but my new gp wasn’t concerned at all. She reassured me I wasn’t diabetic, my hba1c again came back at 34 so she said there was no way I was diabetic. She said the random glucose of 8.9 my other go had panicked about was nothing to worry about as it’s the hba1c that gives them a better picture. She understood I’d developed such a fear of needles and doctors so didn’t want to repeat the glucose so we did urine and that was fine. She told me to take a break from doctors. She said she could hear how anxious it had all made me and she apologised for the way the doctor scared me and pushed so many unnecessary tests on me. I was told I had CFS and hypothyroidism so she told me to just focus on them and take some time out.

A few months later I lost someone who meant a lot to me. I broke. I started with severe 12 hour panic attacks daily for months on end. Then in November 2017 one evening after my father in law had been rushed into hospital with a heart attack, I had a bad panic attack that wouldn’t stop for hours. A few hours later I got off the bed to go to the bathroom and my feet were hot as soon as I walked about , with red blotches all over the toes. I thought nothing of it but from that day onwards it flared every night.

2 years on and it still flares every night but in the last few months I get flares during the day too. Some days it only flares at night but some days it’s during the day when I walk around. My feet feel so warm and right, then when I sit down I see they’re all blotchy and red. Some days it’s mild when it flares where the blotching and heat are milder, then I have weeks it’s bad redness and heat. It usually flares up when I’m walking about the house , my toes and top of the foot go red or small red blotches on them. They don’t hurt but they are very warm and as soon as I lie down the heat and colour goes again. Sometimes it’s out of the blue once I’m walking about, other times it starts just before I get up, i will be lying down and I feel a blood rushing sensation in my feet, then I know it’ll flare once I stand up. Heat is also a trigger. I never wear socks.

Lately it’s milder, much better than 2 years ago, but at some point each day it still flares up. The redness and heat now I’d say is 40% less intense even during a bad flare up. But it is still something I deal with daily. It limits how long I can walk about for. Sometimes I walk about fine and it doesn’t happen at all. It’s so strange. I have no numbness or weakness in my legs or feet.

My gp has seen photos of when it flares and she said it’s not neuropathy as I’ve not developed any numbness in my feet, and after 2 years she said I would have. We think it’s maybe erithyromyalgia after doing some googling but for 2 years my GP had no clue and I was just deemed a mystery with how it flared just at night and then on activity during the day. She said it was so strange that once I lie down it goes within a minute or 2. It does, within 2 minutes of lying down it all goes back to normal colour. Sometimes I get a a flare that hits when I’m just resting lying down. It’ll feel hot in my toes and foot, blood rushing sensation in my feet but no redness blocking, sometimes they look a bit flushed during those attacks but the main red glitching and heat hit on walking about but I do maybe twice a month have an attack like that just when resting with he out walking about to trigger it.

I googled erithromyalgia and read it usually comes along side small fibre neuropathy. I stupidly googled that and read how serious it can be as the years go by and that it’s usually an early sign of pre diabetes. I couldn’t sleep last night, I was awake crying at 2am. My health isn’t great having chronic fatigue syndrome and thyroid issues. I have also developed agoraphobia and social anxiety after I was assaulted by a family member 7 years ago, then all the medical stress and losing my friend. It all led to anxiety and agoraphobia. So appointments are extremely difficult for me as are tests. My gp understands and she’s lovely.

I chatted to my husband this morning and he said ‘if you’d had diabetes since late 2017 you’d know by now’. I had a hba1c in the July 2017 and then the feet thing began in the November that year. I have fatigue, I have a dry mouth every day and my lips always feel like they need lip balm. He said ‘you’d have other major symptoms after 2 years, you don’t have a thirst or wee a lot.’. I don’t have a thirst but my mouth and lips just always feel dehydrated. Not dry to touch just a dehydrated feeling. When I wake in the morning my mouth is so dry it’s horrible and I need water but my husband says that’s normal. It’s not that dry during the day but it feels dehydrated in my mouth and lips.

Do you wee a lot with diabetes due to so much water you drink for the thirst or would you wee a lot anyway if diabetic, regardless of how much water you’d drink ?

I’m just worried and got myself in a huge flap. I’ve had a ****** few years with my anxiety and accepting my limitations with the CFS and thyroid. I’m terrified after this virus goes if I have a hba1c test done it’ll be diabetic. I’m anxious and worried sick. My gp hasn’t suggested the test but when we next speak I’m going to tell her what I read about neuropathy and see what she thinks even though she dismissed it last time.

Can anyone reassure me about the feet or diabetes? Would I be very ill by now with some obvious symptoms if diabetic? It’s been almost 3 years since my last hba1c , that was 34. And I’d had 3 tests prior at 34/35. Just the strange 40 and 38 a year or so before, that my gp said we’re fine and to not worry about. I’ve just got myself all anxious and worried I’ve got diabetes and have had it 2 and a half years and that’s why I have these symptoms with my feet and dehydrated mouth. I couldn’t cope with anything else. I’ve barely left my house in 2 years after all the anxiety I was struggling with and the CFS limiting me. I’m working on things now but I’m a work in progress.

I’m sorry this got so long, I just wanted to explain fully. I will attach a photo of what my feet are like when they flare up. Sorry for the foot photo in advance haha. These photos are of it mild to moderate, when it’s a bad flare the area is much redder and not blotchy, more a larger red area on the foot but thankfully those seem rare these days.

Thank you
Libby

Attachments

• BE130203-2711-4DA8-A37E-AFD3B7336BC8.jpeg
    BE130203-2711-4DA8-A37E-AFD3B7336BC8.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 409
  • B8C85CDE-85C0-4F9E-A253-40CDD4767A6E.jpeg
    B8C85CDE-85C0-4F9E-A253-40CDD4767A6E.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 416

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The feet thing may be related to your thyroid. When my hormone supplement wasn't at the right dosage, the soles of my feet would often be on fire. (Red, sometimes with swelling, hot to the touch. It made walking very difficult). If that's what it is it may be Burning Feet Syndrome, and yeah... I hate to say it, but you'd need to get your thyroid hormone levels checked to see whether your dosage needs adjusting. Vitamin B5 might help.

I know it's hard to go out there and get the tests done (I'm like you, though thankfully never had a GP-stalker), but they're worth looking into. I don't think it'd a diabetes problem, as Diabetic Neuropathy is something that's developed after years of high blood sugars, which isn't the case with you. That your thyroid's wonky is a bit of a red flag though. But we can't diagnose on here, and I'm just one person with nothing but personal experience to offer.

You take care of yourself eh, though I know it's hard. (And yes, you wee a lot when you have diabetes because you're so insanely thirsty all the time and end up gulping down gallons. Gallons tend to come back out. ;) )

Hugs,
Jo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

It’s been a while since I posted but in 2015 I had a hba1c of 40. I was 36 years old at the time. I’m 5FT tall and weigh 9 stone so not overweight and my diet isn’t bad. My go at the time said they were fine and to not think about it and he didn’t see the need to re test.

It was included in a routine blood test in 2015. Then in 2016 I had routine tests again due to fatigue issues, my hba1c then was 35, tested again and it was 35 and the most recent in July 2017 was 34.

My new GP at the time had a real thing about diabetes as his young son had recently been diagnosed with it. He did a hba1c late 2016 and random glucose on the same day. I hate needles and had a severe panic attack before and during the test. I also ate a Naked bar (fruity cereal bar) half an hour before the test. The random glucose came back at 8.9 and hba1c 35. He wouldn’t let it drop and hounded me with phone calls for months saying he thought I was diabetic, then he was worried I had cancer as my lymphocytes were a tint bit out of range as was my sodium. He would call weekly asking me to repeat my sodium, repeat my hba1c, repeat my glucose, and be even wrote to a haematologist about my lymphocytes which he said were fine. I ended up with anxiety from all the worry he caused me and I literally couldn’t do another test my anxiety got so bad.

He left to go to a new practice nearer to his sons school and on the day he left he rung me and asked if there was any department in the hospital I’d like him to refer me to. I had fatigue, was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and he was still trying to diagnose something else. I politely declined.

I had a full blood count in the July 2017 and all was ok. Lymphocytes still a tiny bit out of range but my new gp wasn’t concerned at all. She reassured me I wasn’t diabetic, my hba1c again came back at 34 so she said there was no way I was diabetic. She said the random glucose of 8.9 my other go had panicked about was nothing to worry about as it’s the hba1c that gives them a better picture. She understood I’d developed such a fear of needles and doctors so didn’t want to repeat the glucose so we did urine and that was fine. She told me to take a break from doctors. She said she could hear how anxious it had all made me and she apologised for the way the doctor scared me and pushed so many unnecessary tests on me. I was told I had CFS and hypothyroidism so she told me to just focus on them and take some time out.

A few months later I lost someone who meant a lot to me. I broke. I started with severe 12 hour panic attacks daily for months on end. Then in November 2017 one evening after my father in law had been rushed into hospital with a heart attack, I had a bad panic attack that wouldn’t stop for hours. A few hours later I got off the bed to go to the bathroom and my feet were hot as soon as I walked about , with red blotches all over the toes. I thought nothing of it but from that day onwards it flared every night.

2 years on and it still flares every night but in the last few months I get flares during the day too. Some days it only flares at night but some days it’s during the day when I walk around. My feet feel so warm and right, then when I sit down I see they’re all blotchy and red. Some days it’s mild when it flares where the blotching and heat are milder, then I have weeks it’s bad redness and heat. It usually flares up when I’m walking about the house , my toes and top of the foot go red or small red blotches on them. They don’t hurt but they are very warm and as soon as I lie down the heat and colour goes again. Sometimes it’s out of the blue once I’m walking about, other times it starts just before I get up, i will be lying down and I feel a blood rushing sensation in my feet, then I know it’ll flare once I stand up. Heat is also a trigger. I never wear socks.

Lately it’s milder, much better than 2 years ago, but at some point each day it still flares up. The redness and heat now I’d say is 40% less intense even during a bad flare up. But it is still something I deal with daily. It limits how long I can walk about for. Sometimes I walk about fine and it doesn’t happen at all. It’s so strange. I have no numbness or weakness in my legs or feet.

My gp has seen photos of when it flares and she said it’s not neuropathy as I’ve not developed any numbness in my feet, and after 2 years she said I would have. We think it’s maybe erithyromyalgia after doing some googling but for 2 years my GP had no clue and I was just deemed a mystery with how it flared just at night and then on activity during the day. She said it was so strange that once I lie down it goes within a minute or 2. It does, within 2 minutes of lying down it all goes back to normal colour. Sometimes I get a a flare that hits when I’m just resting lying down. It’ll feel hot in my toes and foot, blood rushing sensation in my feet but no redness blocking, sometimes they look a bit flushed during those attacks but the main red glitching and heat hit on walking about but I do maybe twice a month have an attack like that just when resting with he out walking about to trigger it.

I googled erithromyalgia and read it usually comes along side small fibre neuropathy. I stupidly googled that and read how serious it can be as the years go by and that it’s usually an early sign of pre diabetes. I couldn’t sleep last night, I was awake crying at 2am. My health isn’t great having chronic fatigue syndrome and thyroid issues. I have also developed agoraphobia and social anxiety after I was assaulted by a family member 7 years ago, then all the medical stress and losing my friend. It all led to anxiety and agoraphobia. So appointments are extremely difficult for me as are tests. My gp understands and she’s lovely.

I chatted to my husband this morning and he said ‘if you’d had diabetes since late 2017 you’d know by now’. I had a hba1c in the July 2017 and then the feet thing began in the November that year. I have fatigue, I have a dry mouth every day and my lips always feel like they need lip balm. He said ‘you’d have other major symptoms after 2 years, you don’t have a thirst or wee a lot.’. I don’t have a thirst but my mouth and lips just always feel dehydrated. Not dry to touch just a dehydrated feeling. When I wake in the morning my mouth is so dry it’s horrible and I need water but my husband says that’s normal. It’s not that dry during the day but it feels dehydrated in my mouth and lips.

Do you wee a lot with diabetes due to so much water you drink for the thirst or would you wee a lot anyway if diabetic, regardless of how much water you’d drink ?

I’m just worried and got myself in a huge flap. I’ve had a ****** few years with my anxiety and accepting my limitations with the CFS and thyroid. I’m terrified after this virus goes if I have a hba1c test done it’ll be diabetic. I’m anxious and worried sick. My gp hasn’t suggested the test but when we next speak I’m going to tell her what I read about neuropathy and see what she thinks even though she dismissed it last time.

Can anyone reassure me about the feet or diabetes? Would I be very ill by now with some obvious symptoms if diabetic? It’s been almost 3 years since my last hba1c , that was 34. And I’d had 3 tests prior at 34/35. Just the strange 40 and 38 a year or so before, that my gp said we’re fine and to not worry about. I’ve just got myself all anxious and worried I’ve got diabetes and have had it 2 and a half years and that’s why I have these symptoms with my feet and dehydrated mouth. I couldn’t cope with anything else. I’ve barely left my house in 2 years after all the anxiety I was struggling with and the CFS limiting me. I’m working on things now but I’m a work in progress.

I’m sorry this got so long, I just wanted to explain fully. I will attach a photo of what my feet are like when they flare up. Sorry for the foot photo in advance haha. These photos are of it mild to moderate, when it’s a bad flare the area is much redder and not blotchy, more a larger red area on the foot but thankfully those seem rare these days.

Thank you
Libby

Hi Libby - I wouldn't like to speculate on your foot issue too much as that would be exactly what it would be - speculation, however, I would comment that there is now some work that suggests that CFS and to an extent fibromyalgia are symptoms of a poorly treat hypothyroid condition, rather than too much else.

Our thyroids are very clever glands, which are at the centre of our metabolic processes. When they go wonky, the impacts can go far and wide.

It isn't helped that hypothyroidism symptoms are often very bland and apply to many other conditions too, making it tricky to toally pin down.

Many, many people have hypothyroidism, and many are not appropriately treated, in my opinion. Once a person's TSH is within range, many medics consider job done. Frustratingly, it's nowhere that simple.

When my thyroid went well off-kilter, I headed off to Health Unlocked: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk I cannot relate how much I learned there.

Honestly, it could be worth a look.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Th
Hi Libby - I wouldn't like to speculate on your foot issue too much as that would be exactly what it would be - speculation, however, I would comment that there is now some work that suggests that CFS and to an extent fibromyalgia are symptoms of a poorly treat hypothyroid condition, rather than too much else.

Our thyroids are very clever glands, which are at the centre of our metabolic processes. When they go wonky, the impacts can go far and wide.

It isn't helped that hypothyroidism symptoms are often very bland and apply to many other conditions too, making it tricky to toally pin down.

Many, many people have hypothyroidism, and many are not appropriately treated, in my opinion. Once a person's TSH is within range, many medics consider job done. Frustratingly, it's nowhere that simple.

When my thyroid went well off-kilter, I headed off to Health Unlocked: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk I cannot relate how much I learned there.

Honestly, it could be worth a look.
Thank you.

Ah yes, I used to use that forum and they’re so helpful.

Even when my thyroid was optimum on tests my fatigue issues continued and I have proper crashes/flares after exertion or stress so I was diagnosed with CFS alongside it. I do match the symptoms with how little I can do, how I crash after exertion etc.

Thank you for your reply

Reactions: DCUKMod

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
The feet thing may be related to your thyroid. When my hormone supplement wasn't at the right dosage, the soles of my feet would often be on fire. (Red, sometimes with swelling, hot to the touch. It made walking very difficult). If that's what it is it may be Burning Feet Syndrome, and yeah... I hate to say it, but you'd need to get your thyroid hormone levels checked to see whether your dosage needs adjusting. Vitamin B5 might help.

I know it's hard to go out there and get the tests done (I'm like you, though thankfully never had a GP-stalker), but they're worth looking into. I don't think it'd a diabetes problem, as Diabetic Neuropathy is something that's developed after years of high blood sugars, which isn't the case with you. That your thyroid's wonky is a bit of a red flag though. But we can't diagnose on here, and I'm just one person with nothing but personal experience to offer.

You take care of yourself eh, though I know it's hard. (And yes, you wee a lot when you have diabetes because you're so insanely thirsty all the time and end up gulping down gallons. Gallons tend to come back out. ;) )

Hugs,
Jo
Thank you so much Jo. You’ve really comforted and reassured me.

Cab an underactive thyroid cause the symptoms like I get? I did wonder if it’s thyroid. Weirdly though I was tested June 2017 and my TSH, T4 and T3 were all fine, in range. TSH was 3.49, t4 17.6 and t3 5. My feet issue then began in the November that same year.

My gp says it doesn’t match neuropathy and she did say similar to what you’ve said about diabetes causing the feet thing years down the line.

I do need to get over this phobia. My GP says I can use medicheck and do the test from home. I’m getting closer to braving it but I’ve done them before and they took ages and several pricks as it just wouldn’t flow out. Hubby used to prick my finger and we would have to massage it to get any out lol. I’m not sure I could do that now as I used to have anxiety then. If I could just have sit pricked then look away while it fills the tube by just dropping out and hubby dealing with it all maybe I could do it but my blood just won’t come out free flow lol. So I end up having to squeeze it and see it all. So annoyed my go put me through all that and I developed this huge phobia.

Thank you for being kind and replying to me xxxx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cab an underactive thyroid cause the symptoms like I get? I did wonder if it’s thyroid. Weirdly though I was tested June 2017 and my TSH, T4 and T3 were all fine, in range. TSH was 3.49, t4 17.6 and t3 5. My feet issue then began in the November that same year.

My gp says it doesn’t match neuropathy and she did say similar to what you’ve said about diabetes causing the feet thing years down the line.

I do need to get over this phobia. My GP says I can use medicheck and do the test from home. I’m getting closer to braving it but I’ve done them before and they took ages and several pricks as it just wouldn’t flow out. Hubby used to prick my finger and we would have to massage it to get any out lol. I’m not sure I could do that now as I used to have anxiety then. If I could just have sit pricked then look away while it fills the tube by just dropping out and hubby dealing with it all maybe I could do it but my blood just won’t come out free flow lol. So I end up having to squeeze it and see it all. So annoyed my go put me through all that and I developed this huge phobia.

With thyroid levels, well, they can be perfectly in range, academically speaking, but still not be quite right for you. Some just need a tad more to feel better (for me, 12,5 micrograms made all the difference). So it may just require a bit of experimentation, though it's hard when you need to get your gp on board with it and they're part of your anxiety issues, thanks to their predecessor. I found Izabella Wentz' Hashimoto Protocol book helpful, even if I didn't take all the supplements and such. Did explain a whole lot. And might help you articulate what you need from the doc. (Sometimes it's easier to correspond with a gp through email than it is to visit them. Anxiety can be a bit less crippling when you can formulate issues in your own time, in your own home)

And if you have trouble drawing blood: warm up your hands with warm water beforehand, it'll open up the veins. ;) It'll never be my hobby either, but when needs must...

Hugs,
Jo

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Hi @jingyd36 Can I make a tentative suggestion? Try using an ear lobe occasionally since they have minimal feeling. I'm sure hubby would help with applying the strip as it is otherwise like cutting your hair in the mirror! They used to take blood from the ear at King's College Hospital. I very much appreciated it. Good luck!