You Did Not Eat Your Way to Diabetes

vic's

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
everything untrue about diabetes
(I came across this piece of knowledge and i thought i need your ideas) While people with Type 2 diabetes often are seriously overweight, there is accumulating evidence that their overweight is a symptom, not the cause of the process that leads to Type 2 Diabetes. People with Type 2 Diabetes often are overweight. And many people who are overweight have a syndrome called "insulin resistance," where their cells do not respond properly to insulin, making them need larger than normal amounts of insulin to lower their blood sugar. So the conclusion was drawn, years ago, that insulin resistance was the cause of Type 2 Diabetes and it made sense.
While people who have diabetes are often heavy, one out of five people diagnosed with diabetes are thin or normal weight. And though heavy people with diabetes are, indeed, likely to be insulin resistant, the majority of people who are overweight will never develop diabetes. In fact, they will not develop diabetes though they are likely to be just as insulin resistant as those who do--or even more so. The message that diabetes researchers in academic laboratories are coming up with about what really causes diabetes is quite different from what you read in the media. What they are finding is that to get Type 2 Diabetes you need to have some combination of damaged genes well known to scientists. These genes are involved with the complex processes involved in regulating your blood sugar. These damaged genes are often inherited, but not always. The same kind of genetic damage turns out to be caused by a large number of pesticides, herbicides, plastics,and other environmental toxins which are found in alarming concentrations in the bodies of those exposed to them. These chemicals are found in the foods we eat, the water we drink, and even cosmetics and shampoos we apply to our skin. When these genes are damaged, they keep your body from being able to regulate your blood sugar. If you don't have these damaged genes, you can eat until you drop, pack on hundreds of pounds, and never develop diabetes. WHAT DO YOU SAY TYPE 2'S, WHAT ARE YOUR REVIEWS?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Can you please provide a link to this?

Also, do you have diabetes? If so, what type?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@vic's I think you should do more reading of what is already in the forum rather than posting things you found from the internet.

Certainly Toxins in our food and water do us no good, but all that is requited is a Blood Glucose meter in order to prove that Carbohydrate intolerance is at least the main feature of T2 Diabetes and one which is simple (though not always easy) to fix. Just avoid/drastically cut down on carb consumption including below ground veg and fruits - though berries such as strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and blueberry are often OK in small quantities.

As a TOFI T2D I suspect that it is the Eatwell plate/ food pyramid (emphasising Low fat and high Carb) plus the highly refined carbs in the modern diet which are mainly to blame for the rapid increase in both T2D and Obesity.

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(I came across this piece of knowledge and i thought i need your ideas) While people with Type 2 diabetes often are seriously overweight, there is accumulating evidence that their overweight is a symptom, not the cause of the process that leads to Type 2 Diabetes. People with Type 2 Diabetes often are overweight. And many people who are overweight have a syndrome called "insulin resistance," where their cells do not respond properly to insulin, making them need larger than normal amounts of insulin to lower their blood sugar. So the conclusion was drawn, years ago, that insulin resistance was the cause of Type 2 Diabetes and it made sense.
While people who have diabetes are often heavy, one out of five people diagnosed with diabetes are thin or normal weight. And though heavy people with diabetes are, indeed, likely to be insulin resistant, the majority of people who are overweight will never develop diabetes. In fact, they will not develop diabetes though they are likely to be just as insulin resistant as those who do--or even more so. The message that diabetes researchers in academic laboratories are coming up with about what really causes diabetes is quite different from what you read in the media. What they are finding is that to get Type 2 Diabetes you need to have some combination of damaged genes well known to scientists. These genes are involved with the complex processes involved in regulating your blood sugar. These damaged genes are often inherited, but not always. The same kind of genetic damage turns out to be caused by a large number of pesticides, herbicides, plastics,and other environmental toxins which are found in alarming concentrations in the bodies of those exposed to them. These chemicals are found in the foods we eat, the water we drink, and even cosmetics and shampoos we apply to our skin. When these genes are damaged, they keep your body from being able to regulate your blood sugar. If you don't have these damaged genes, you can eat until you drop, pack on hundreds of pounds, and never develop diabetes. WHAT DO YOU SAY TYPE 2'S, WHAT ARE YOUR REVIEWS?

Hmm.... I can't help think that you might be trying persuade T2s that it's okay to eat carbs and sugar.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I’d agree it’s more than just weight as a cause (although that certainly won’t help) and genetics play a part and all the chemicals in life are not a good thing I think this article is reaching beyond that. By now you should be able to add links as you have enough posts to do so. I’d second the suggestion to read a bit more on the forum or stick to asking specific questions rather than ask of whole wide reaching articles what do you think

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Totally disagree, now I know I ate my way to Diabetes. I did not leave a healthy life style cause it to happen. But I have changed my life style around and now my Blood sugar are normal.
I understand thin people can get diabetes too but the people I know thin Type 2 live a terrible life style lots of sugar and get it that way.
Articles like that are dangerous, also there is the body positive moment which is posting stuff like that all the time. clamming it is from a scientific study. When it is not.
Insulin resistance is a big cause but that is caused in the most cases by being big. Also the more insulin in the body the more fat you will have.
Read Dr Jason Fungs book the diabetes code. That will give a proper scientific approach to diabetes and explains insulin resistance very well.

Reactions: Grannypat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally disagree, now I know I ate my way to Diabetes. I did not leave a healthy life style cause it to happen. But I have changed my life style around and now my Blood sugar are normal.
I understand thin people can get diabetes too but the people I know thin Type 2 live a terrible life style lots of sugar and get it that way.
Articles like that are dangerous, also there is the body positive moment which is posting stuff like that all the time. clamming it is from a scientific study. When it is not.
Insulin resistance is a big cause but that is caused in the most cases by being big. Also the more insulin in the body the more fat you will have.
Read Dr Jason Fungs book the diabetes code. That will give a proper scientific approach to diabetes and explains insulin resistance very well.
Define terrible and healthy. According to who and what guidelines?

I only occasionally ate sugary things and not a huge amount of carby stuff either as I never much liked most of it but still became insulin resistant, then gained weight and then became diabetic. In that order. Despite changing these things and losing the weight I don’t see the huge positive response some others do, mine are much more modest. I’m not alone.

Undoubtedly diet is a factor. But not the only one and for different people different factors effect them more than others. It is widely speculated that type 2 is actually numerous subtypes, likely with different triggers and optimal approaches for management. Some diet, some genetics maybe even some caused by other things?

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Filling your plate with Carbs, Eating Processed cheap food, Not having salad or Veg with your meal. Eating poor quality meat. Snacking all the time. Not moving enough. Also one that does get missed in these conversation is alcohol consumption, to much booze. That to me in unhealthy. I would say the majority of Type 2 is brought on with a life style involving one or more of those things. This is why I dont think these type of articles help the majority. I actually think they can do harm. Also the timing hasn't probably helped, but I have had a body postive random DM me on instagram because I have posted before and after pictures and told why didn't I love my body when i was fat. When I said being fat was killing me and explain it all to her. She point me into similar articles.
I did a lot of reading a looking up on different approaches to Type 2, as it scared me. So i found a plan of attack that worked for me. Low carb, intermittent fasting and exercise (weights,Hiit and steady state). I put my HAC1 back in normal range in 12 weeks.
So in my experience and my reading which obviously got me in a good place.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Filling your plate with Carbs, Eating Processed cheap food, Not having salad or Veg with your meal. Eating poor quality meat. Snacking all the time. Not moving enough. Also one that does get missed in these conversation is alcohol consumption, to much booze. That to me in unhealthy. I would say the majority of Type 2 is brought on with a life style involving one or more of those things. This is why I dont think these type of articles help the majority. I actually think they can do harm. Also the timing hasn't probably helped, but I have had a body postive random DM me on instagram because I have posted before and after pictures and told why didn't I love my body when i was fat. When I said being fat was killing me and explain it all to her. She point me into similar articles.
I did a lot of reading a looking up on different approaches to Type 2, as it scared me. So i found a plan of attack that worked for me. Low carb, intermittent fasting and exercise (weights,Hiit and steady state). I put my HAC1 back in normal range in 12 weeks.
So in my experience and my reading which obviously got me in a good place.
Glad it worked for you and it does many. I hear you about the potential for normalising poor metabolic health.

But I can honestly say I ate better than most people i knew, and according to your definition too, drank less than most, could’ve moved more but wasn’t idle. I lost a couple of stone but wasn’t ever obese. Making the same changes As you outline has definitely helped but the very fact that some start from a worse point and arrive at a better point with fewer changes In less time says to me it’s more than just lifestyle - although that is without doubt significant. Without doubt some people are more susceptible to the damage these things do than others. Some get away Scot free apparently.

My fear is you are almost saying “it’s because you don’t work hard enough at it that you don’t succeed as well as I have” which is as damaging to me as fat glorifying is to you.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Glad it worked for you and it does many. I hear you about the potential for normalising poor metabolic health.

But I can honestly say I ate better than most people i knew, and according to your definition too, drank less than most, could’ve moved more but wasn’t idle. I lost a couple of stone but wasn’t ever obese. Making the same changes As you outline has definitely helped but the very fact that some start from a worse point and arrive at a better point with fewer changes In less time says to me it’s more than just lifestyle - although that is without doubt significant. Without doubt some people are more susceptible to the damage these things do than others. Some get away Scot free apparently.

My fear is you are almost saying “it’s because you don’t work hard enough at it that you don’t succeed as well as I have” which is as damaging to me as fat glorifying is to you.

Sorry didn't want you to think I was meaning, it’s because you don’t work hard enough at it that you don’t succeed as well as I have.

I was just more pointing lifestyle and being is the biggest cause.

I just want people to think and use articles to shift the blame, from their life style. Again I know not everyone Type 2 is lifestyle but my fear is as the majority of people it is, and articles like that will make them go well there is not much I can do about it.

Read Dr Jason Fungs book the diabetic code, he explain insulin resistance really and good ways to combat that and reverse or great improve diabetes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry didn't want you to think I was meaning, it’s because you don’t work hard enough at it that you don’t succeed as well as I have.

I just want people to think and use articles to shift the blame, from their life style. Again I know not everyone Type 2 is lifestyle but my fear is as the majority of people it is, and articles like that will make them go well there is not much I can do about it.

Read Dr Jason Fungs book the diabetic code, he explain insulin resistance really and good ways to combat that and reverse or great improve diabetes.
I have read Jason Fung’s Diabetes Code, watched his lectures and delved deeply into his blog - and I am still uncomfortable with people blaming the T2 metabolic ‘epidemic’ that is sweeping huge parts of the world, on junk food and livestyle.

If someone wishes to blame themselves for developing T2 through ‘bad eating’ and lack of exercise, then that is their prerogative. I disagree with them, but they can accept the blame For themselves, if they want.

However, if that person spreads that blame onto others, without knowing their lifelong way of eating, their cultural and economic background, their health history (including autoimmune), their lifestyle and exercise, genetics and environmental pollution exposure... well, I disagree. Strongly.

Blame is not the way that we will successfully deal with T2 on either a personal or global level.
Indeed, I would go so far as to say that ‘blame’ is usually a step backwards in any situation.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have read that and many other sources of valuable info. Insulin resistance causes weight gain. Excess weight around the organs inhibits their proper function. Circular.

@Brunneria says it above perfectly.

Changes in life choices are often required to manage type 2 - but “blame” for the earlier” version isn’t always appropriate or accurate as a cause or a complete answer. Agreed, neither is using “genetics” as a reason not to tackle it and give up appropriate either but they can be an unavoidable part of the problem and a challenge when addressing it which your point of view dismisses.

Just because a thing helps now doesn’t necessarily mean the lack of it caused the situation in the first place. Eg Many people followed what they were told was the right thing by NHS and government and it certainly didn’t prevent them from getting type 2 and in some cases it even may have made it more likely (too many carbs recommended for a biology that’s susceptible), people never educated about nutrition for a whole myriad of reasons, difficult to access appropriate foods even if they know what they is beneficial, physical limitations regarding exercise etc etc Yes some people scoff sugar, cakes, biscuits, drink sugary drinks and alcohol and never get off the sofa despite knowing full well it’s not healthy and having choices but please take care not to label us all that way just because of those ones.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
o.k, Fair enough,
For me anyway, I was mortified when I got my diagnoses. But I decided to take responsibility for it and got my HAC1 back in the normal range. I am just great full, I didn't read any of those articles during my early days and research. As I don't think I would have been as motivated. Which is why I liked the likes of the beat diabetes you tube channel, Dr Jason Fungs book. As they made me feel I had the power to do it my self. " A diet Disease requires a Dietary solution"

That why I think articles like that, are dangerous and it makes people feel they don'have the control to change it. It is not an easy battle at all. But it is one worth fighting.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
o.k, Fair enough,
For me anyway, I was mortified when I got my diagnoses. But I decided to take responsibility for it and got my HAC1 back in the normal range. I am just great full, I didn't read any of those articles during my early days and research. As I don't think I would have been as motivated. Which is why I liked the likes of the beat diabetes you tube channel, Dr Jason Fungs book. As they made me feel I had the power to do it my self. " A diet Disease requires a Dietary solution"

That why I think articles like that, are dangerous and it makes people feel they don'have the control to change it. It is not an easy battle at all. But it is one worth fighting.

The quote is taken from the www.bloodsugar101.com website.
I would encourage any type 2 diabetic to read the entire site.
It is very informative far beyond the small, out of context, quote shown in the first post on this thread.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with a lot of the other posters. I thin k that blame and shame is completely counter productive for just about anything but for me in particular type 2 diabetes. As someone who dieted like mad for a long time and counted every calorie and every walk etc I tried for years to lose weight. I had a 'healthy' diet porridge fruit low fat no sugar yogurt for breakfast etc for years and could not lose weight. I am sure the various people I saw believed I was lying about what I ate. Now with the knowledge of exactly how bad carbs are for me I have have lost weight without all the calorie counting and without being hungry. If I had followed my doctors advice my type 2 would have become progressive and no doubt I would have felt responsible and ashamed.

My point is that many people follow the dietary advice given but people assume because they do not lose weight that they are lying. I ate under 1200 calories for years and spent a lot of time madly exercising without losing weight. I gave up- I still ate what would be called a 'healthy' diet but never expected to lose weight.

The advice given here has revolutionised my life but it is not consistent with the advice given to me by any of the medical professionals I have seen over the years.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If controlling this condition was as easy as some are led to believe ... sigh.

Many would do well to read experiences, learn from them and then "talk"

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
o.k, Fair enough,

Maybe the title should read something more like “You might not have eaten your way to Type 2 diabetes, but you can eat your way out of it “. A message of hope, no judgement but also no excuses for not making efforts in the future.

Reactions: LaoDan and ziggy_w

Max68

I've always been a bit confused on how things work to be honest. At one point a few years ago I had a summer of being really careful, or what I thought was really careful, eating salads and the like and was pretty confident at my HBA1c test and was mortified when it went up to 64. So annoyed I was that I fell of the wagon completely and ate a lot of what's perceived as junk food for the next three months and was in a pretty dark place mentally. Next HBA1c three months later and it had dropped to 46! I was baffled and so was my GP! I'm certainly not advocating junk food by the way. Maybe I was eating more meat and not loading salads with sugary dressings or maybe a more hearty chicken/shish kebab (more meat) was filling me up so I didn't pick and snack?! I'm still confused!!