Help with something?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Well here I am needing advice. I had thought I'd gotten rid of my type 2 when the dr said my hba1c was normal.

I then got cocky and decided to eat normally but mostly "healthy" over Christmas and new year , had some stress and ate too much sugar. Gained some weight back.

Fast forward to today I checked my blood sugar for 1st time in months and I was in the 9s a while after eating a bowl of porridge with full fat milk , butter and some honey drizzled in.

I can now see that I had it in remission and that I still cant eat carb high foods ! I also suffer chronic fatigue syndrome and i have been feeling worse lately brain fog etc . I dread to think how high my levels were getting in recent months.

Is it possible I'll always be needing a lower carb diet?

I am always hungry :(

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm also scared to go very low carb due to the fact I never have enough energy as it is. Its tricky.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was prediabetic some years ago, went low carb for a few weeks and all was fine, then over the next 18mths or so I gradually went back to my old diet. Then the shocking blood test, I'd gone from fine to full diabetic in less than a year.

I've been back on low carb for two years this time, in remission for nearly as long, and I only started allowing myself an occasional extra treat a few weeks ago. I wish I could stay fully low carb but I never lost my sweet tooth, however, I keep it in check with just an extra 25g of carb or so. And I retest once a week on rising and after one meal.

I assume this is for life, so while I don't maintain a fully low carb lifestyle I still stay below 100g most days and never go over 150g. If I know I'm going to be in a stressful situation (one of my triggers) I try to plan low carb treats, eg a coconut flour cake or some sugar free icecream, to help.

Energy shouldn't be an issue if you are eating enough fat, the keto flu some people get is only when they drop carbs suddenly and then just lasts a few days until your body adjusts to fat burning.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Porridge and honey raising you to a 9 isn't surprising, and it's not actually that bad, considering. You probably should stick to a low-carb diet, but it's nothing to dread: it's better for you, and you won't always be hungry. You're probably always hungry and fatigued now because you're eating high-carb trash like porridge and honey.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I thought that adding butter into the porridge with full fat milk it wouldnt be so bad. Imagine the spike had I not done that ! I will avoid now. I just need some snack ideas that are not just nuts or eggs as I use eggs for meals.

For lunch I had 2 eggs , 2 oatcake crackers with butter, cooked courgette and a small apple with almond butter. My blood sugar hardly budged

Was 4.3 before and 4.9 about 2 hours later.

That was way less carbs than I'd normally have so seems I need to now carb count. Thinking 100g a day see how I go with that again.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I couldnt believe I was still reacting that way to carbs. Learnt alot from this experience.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I like @TriciaWs have not lost my sweet tooth- I wish I had. I had a very bad day yesterday with trying something with artificial sweeteners and being really unwell following that and high blood sugars to boot. I have had a virus (not Covid) for a few days and really wanted some comfort foods- instead sicker than before.

I know it is for life and it saddens me. This forum and helped a lot. Ultimately I know that I either keep very low carb or I risk ending up with significant diabetic complications. The annoying thing for me is my 80 year old diabetic mother just ignores her conditions, eats high carb and has no complications. The thing is I know there are no guarantees.

I find moderation a lot harder than nothing but some days I do wish I could do moderation. If you are able to do that then it comes back to regular testing and seeing what your body can tolerate. I don't think there really is any alternative to regular testing if not doing low carb. If you do go low carb then the testing is less necessary. For me testing is one way to make sure I don't carb creep- I have been guilty of that this week anyway- feeling unwell just drives me to the old habits of comfort food.

I guess I've only been eating this way for less than a year after a lifetime of high carb- I've still got time for my sweet tooth to die out- seriously if I know which of my teeth was that sweet tooth I'd be off to the dentist to get it pulled out lol.

I think you either make the choice to test regularly or accept that it's low carb.

Good luck

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. I will count carbs and test to see where I am at at times too.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible I'll always be needing a lower carb diet?
probably. Or you’ll just keep going back to where you were before.

I'm also scared to go very low carb due to the fact I never have enough energy as it is. Its tricky.
In which case you’re possibly doing LC without the HF? Low carb isn’t low energy. It’s different energy sources. Ones your body can use for energy instead of just eat and store!

I just need some snack ideas that are not just nuts or eggs as I use eggs for meals.
if your meals are filling enough you shouldn’t need to snack (and if you do it’s boredom and habit not hunger). This also allows insulin to fall and the underlying problem of insulin resistance to improve. Try websites like dietdoctor.com and ditchthecarbs.com and lots of others for ideas. Google low carb or keto xxxxx to get lots more similar sites and recipes and ideas.

Learnt alot from this experience.
. :) That’s the name of the game

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I will count carbs and test to see where I am at at times too.
You may not need to drop as many carbs as you think. I have managed to maintain a non diabetic Hba1c for 7 years on an average of 100 to 130g carbs per day which is just within the low carb range and even though I’ve been eating more carbs, mainly bread, potatoes and biscuits:woot::woot::woot: during the Covid-19 ‘lock down’ I still manage to keep my after meal figs between 5.5 and 6.5, with the occasional 7.0, and my FBS between 5.0 and 5.8. Although I do not test everyday I am happy with the results when I do.