One for the ladies - coming off contraception... help!

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all , I’m hoping someone can help as my erratic sugars are really getting me down.

I’m 32 and have been diabetic since I was 5. Since I was 16 , I was on the mini pill , and when using this I didn’t have periods at all. I use an omnipod insulin pump and my hba1c is 51 so I’m fairly well controlled

I decided in March this year to come off contraception as it was giving me unpleasant side effects. My periods returned and are regular , but the week of my period I am having awful lows.

From day 1 of my period my insulin requirements drop dramatically! I’ve been trying a -50% basal reduction , reducing my carb ratios from 9g to 15g and I can’t seem to get on top of these constant lows. It’s now day 5 and it’s not easing up :(

As I haven’t ever had periods in 15 years I feel like I’m learning from the beginning , is this normal ? If anyone has any recommendations I would really welcome any guidance or support as this is misery!

Thank you from a frustrated hormonal , hypoing type 1! X

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sophc yes it is quite common with females who are menstruating, and yes it’s an absolute pain - I got really hung up on it at one point and ended up having a rather heated discussion with a male GP who was adamant that hormones wouldn’t affect my t1 :banghead: Another GP recommended a partial hysterectomy but I wasn’t prepared to go through that. I get massive insulin resistance in the days leading up and then as soon as my period starts my resistance disappears and I fight hypos, it’s not even consistent each month either so not even something I can plan for, I don’t have any solutions except extra vigilance with testing and making basal adjustments where required or add a basal pattern for this event to change settings quickly to manage the event more easily.

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Juicyj ! Thank you , it’s reassuring to know I’m not alone with it, as when I’ve read online it seems people mainly experience the opposite affect. The last few months weren’t as bad as this , it’s just hit me from nowhere. Thank you , at least I know it’s not just me, being a woman is certainly not fun at times xx