Insulin
5 years time fella, or that's what they told me when diagnosed :p :p

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 - nobody seems to know how and why our beta cells self-destruct so a true preventative cure does not seem to be forthcoming but the tech does seem to have made leaps forward. Am not pinning hopes on the mice cures but a reasonable closed loop system should be mainstream in the next 2 years.
Curing type 2 is controversial but it is proven to be reversible via diet in many cases and if you can keep yourself insulin sensitive via diet alone surely that is pretty close to a cure?

Reactions: Siddhantkhankal

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 is caused by antibodies and probably genetically related or viruses which may not be easily defined so I don't expect and 'cure' in my lifetime

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I searched, but did not get any hopeful information.

If it's not on Google, it's very unlikely that an individual will be aware of any specific research. Any research we might know about will be found by using Google.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's plenty of research going on for T1d, prevention, cures and smart insulins, and the latter do sound good in so far as they found a mechanism (in mice) where a blood sugar drop could be halted automatically, a British guy went to work with Novo Nordisk for that, 10+ years away if it happens.

And management for a T1 is easier these days with the Libre, better insulins, shorter needles, retinal screening and easier access to a DSN, it's still a pain in the you know where but much better than 30 years back.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Can we have diabetes cure in upcoming 10 years? Is Any research going on?

There is always research going on, but I was told 31 years ago that a cure would be around very soon, alas nothing yet. tbh I cant see it in my lifetime but I hope it will be, or something near to it, for other's ( thinking of my granddaughter and other younger type 1's)

Reactions: kev-w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'd got the advice 'ah you need to avoid high carb foods then' when I was a young adult trying to cope with an intolerance to 'the healthy diet' being pushed at that time I would most likely never have had problems.
I had the misfortune to find GPs who handed out diet sheets which all started with breakfasts of porridge made with water or skimmed milk, cereal, with skimmed milk or wholemeal toast with low fat spread.
Combined with low fat, little meal low calorie and it became a problem, but whenever I went back to Atkins I was fine.
I can only conclude that for a plain ordinary type two no cure is required, just a diet to manage it properly.