Freestyle Libre

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi. I hope you've all been doing well whether under a lockdown or 'fake lockdown' (as in the UK).

Ok, so. I've just put on a new Freestyle Libre (changing arms as recommended) yet after a few seconds blood started streaming out from under it. It's stopped now. But I can obviously see blood under the sensor.
I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what did they do? Did you leave it to scab and then use it? Did it work properly?

I'm wondering if I should just pull it off (but then of course it will be 2 weeks merchandise wasted as it's a new one).
Yep, been there done that. In my case it worked for about a week, started giving stupid numbers, then just stopped. I'd leave it, but double check any unexpected numbers. If it stops working, keep the sensor, as the manufacturer should swap for a new one.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
In the end I took it off. It was stinging a bit and I was going to wait and see. But when I did a few sensor readings over a 1 hour period and it was consistently and dangerously telling me I was LO 2.2 mmol then LO LO LO when i felt ok and my blood meter (that I dug out) was telling me I was 5.0-5.7 mmol the sensor just had to go.

Only problem is now I have to wait 2 weeks for another one and my strips are running out. So it looks like it's back to the good old days of guesswork.

What's with this reporting to Abbot thing ( I got mine on NHS prescription, UK if that makes a difference)?

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You still report to Abbott @SugarBuzz they usually replace poor monitors. They ask for 3 readings of Libre and monitor done 15 minutes apart. Which should show % out.
How many Libre and test strips are you getting on your prescription each month? I get 2 at a time and up to 100 strips, though I have a good stock and usually only get 50.

Reactions: UK T1 and SugarBuzz

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's with this reporting to Abbot thing ( I got mine on NHS prescription, UK if that makes a difference)?
Any faulty sensors, inaccurate readings, falling off etc should be reported to Abbott and they may issue a replacement after going through some troubleshooting, they often need the faulty sensor back although I just called one in on Wednesday and was told just to dispose of it, not sure if it's because of the current situation or that they know there is a rouge batch circulating, the customer service number is where you report to - 0800 170 1177 xx

Reactions: SugarBuzz

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey you guyyyysssss!

Just wondering if there is a reason why the Libre sensor has to go on a quite specific area of the arm and if anyone here has actually put it somewhere else and it's worked fine.

Ideally I'd like to try it further up the arm (closer to the shoulder) as being lower down in the t-shirt tanning zone I've actually got a small untanned circle - Is was the warmest April on record didn't you know. ;)

djfm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain
its not totally accurate as its not a CGM. but you can test as much as you like without need for fingerpicking and is good on the fly.

sometimes says you low but blood test showed otherwise but you can see the trajectory which is invaluable to catching a hypo before it happens

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hey you guyyyysssss!

Just wondering if there is a reason why the Libre sensor has to go on a quite specific area of the arm and if anyone here has actually put it somewhere else and it's worked fine.

Ideally I'd like to try it further up the arm (closer to the shoulder) as being lower down in the t-shirt tanning zone I've actually got a small untanned circle - Is was the warmest April on record didn't you know. ;)
Not sure why Abbott say where to put it but I put mine on my belly , I check it against a finger prick and it’s fine , the way I look at it is it’s my body and I have to live with diabetes so I do things which suit me , some work some don’t but at the end of the day if it doesn’t work I’ll put it somewhere else , I did it because I kept knocking mine off . But as a lot of people on here will tell u what works for one doesn’t for another , it’s a bit of trial and error.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi, I’m interested in this, just using a sensor(s) for a month or so, just to track my daily habits.

can I just buy the sensor only and use my phone? I noticed there’s a starter pack, but I don’t need another reader.

-Dan

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m interested in this, just using a sensor(s) for a month or so, just to track my daily habits.

can I just buy the sensor only and use my phone? I noticed there’s a starter pack, but I don’t need another reader.

-Dan
Yep that’s exactly what I did. I went on to Abbott website and bought 2 sensors and popped first one on my arm, and scanned with my iPhone. It has a step by step application guide first on the app which was helpful then you click through and it tells you to scan to sensor, and it was so fast and easy. An hour later ready to start taking readings!
The freestyle app is free. I didn’t think I’d use the reader. I still have my finger test machine so don’t want too many things. Plus self funding so wasn’t sure how long I’d use the freestyle.. would I like it? Would I see trends?.... found nighttime trend graph brilliant as I had no idea what my level was really before...you do have to hold the top end of your phone over the sensor to read it, not the screen.

Reactions: LaoDan

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
depends if your phone is compatible or not, I think Abbott have a list of compatible phones available on the website xx

Ross101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey you guyyyysssss!

they did tell us the reason in the induction
I had but I can’t exactly remember why it’s to do with access to the area needed to get accurate readings. They told us not to put it anywhere else as it wouldn’t be accurate

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yep that’s exactly what I did. I went on to Abbott website and bought 2 sensors and popped first one on my arm, and scanned with my iPhone. It has a step by step application guide first on the app which was helpful then you click through and it tells you to scan to sensor, and it was so fast and easy. An hour later ready to start taking readings!
The freestyle app is free. I didn’t think I’d use the reader. I still have my finger test machine so don’t want too many things. Plus self funding so wasn’t sure how long I’d use the freestyle.. would I like it? Would I see trends?.... found nighttime trend graph brilliant as I had no idea what my level was really before...you do have to hold the top end of your phone over the sensor to read it, not the screen.

fantastic! I ordered a couple, I may reconsider the reader since it does keto strips, my current one doesn’t.. one hurdle at a time,, thank you:)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LaoDan the reader doesn’t do Keto strips. Well mine certainly doesn’t. I rang Abbott and they said it didn’t.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
@LaoDan the reader doesn’t do Keto strips. Well mine certainly doesn’t. I rang Abbott and they said it didn’t.

Ah thanks! I was reading about the starter pack on Singapore website, I better confirm before I purchase it. After seeing the price of the keto strips, I may just skip it.

two sensors are on the way, with all these gadgets, I feel I’m becoming a diabetic cyborg:)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Well, got the sensors, stuck one in my arm, downloaded the app. Did the initial scan... sorry, this sensor is not compatible... seems using a USA app won’t work with a Singapore sensor... it’s not easy being an expat : |

I think I have an android phone I’ll try

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, got the sensors, stuck one in my arm, downloaded the app. Did the initial scan... sorry, this sensor is not compatible... seems using a USA app won’t work with a Singapore sensor... it’s not easy being an expat : |

I think I have an android phone I’ll try

I'm not sure they work with android, be interested to find out.
I'm just using the reader, light and easy to carry. Periodically I down load onto my flaptop for all the graphs and stuff.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I'm not sure they work with android, be interested to find out.
I'm just using the reader, light and easy to carry. Periodically I down load onto my flaptop for all the graphs and stuff.

Indeed it does, I’m using an old Sony xz. Seems to read ever so slightly lower than the finger stab , but I’m ok with that

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the responses about the sensor wearing. So far I haven't found any biological reason as to why the sensor should be worn on the back of the upper arm as opposed to anywhere else on the skin.
As most probably know, you can inject insulin in different areas of the body (which I don't do) and this can have an impact on the way insulin is absorbed (speed), but ultimately it functions as normal. So I do wonder if this is a similar-ish scenario to taking blood sugar levels from different areas of the body.

Currently I'm still waiting for an official response from Abbot. If I get a reply I'll be sure to post here.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I can confirm my reader (received Oct 2019) is compatible with ketone strips and has worked a few times when I've tested. Recognises I've put ketone strips in as it has a different display when they're in.

I also use an android phone with the app :) I start the sensor with the reader but we were told the readers are very expensive and my phone is very old so I feel less precious about my phone I can also go back and adjust notes in the phone app if I haven't had time to add them during the day, and it syncs to the website as long as I have WiFi connection, so my readings wouldn't be lost if my phone broke. The reader needs manually syncing.

We were told the libre 1 sensors had only been tested for use on the arm, but they are testing alternative sites for the libre 2 sensors. It seems to be that they just haven't been proven to be accurate elsewhere. This doesn't mean they aren't. But Abbott doesn't have the proof to recommend it (yet). I've only tried it on my arm. Like others have said, you can always calibrate the sensor against capillary tests, just be careful if you're getting the Libre on the NHS because part of the agreement is that you reduce how many test strips you need, making the libre cost effective. You should test if the symptoms don't match the libre reading or if you're hypo or high, or if you don't have the sensor on (eg fault or travelling) but I always make a note of why I've tested in my app so they don't argue I'm doing it too much. Not had any problems so far!

I was told to try and alternate arm sites, so not just where a tshirt would end on my arms but also apply them slightly further up/down my arm each time too, ranging from roughly a hand's width up from my elbow to a hands width down from my shoulder. Always on the back/outside of my arm. I apply it on the back, sometimes slightly more towards the inside of my arm/torso. I haven't yet knocked one or had one come off (tempting fate by writing that I know!).

The needle you see when you prep the sensor is just so the filament can be inserted properly. It doesn't stay in your arm. The filament does but is only 4mm deep in you arm and is flexible. If you've got an old sensor that you've cleaned you can play and see how flexible the filament is!

I too have skinny arms and find the area a little sore when I first apply a new sensor but this goes within a day. I watched loads of YouTube videos when it came to applying my second sensor at home. I'd got myself a bit worked up but it was absolutely fine!

My first sensor bled during the training! They said it can make it more accurate, as sensors usually read the glucose values of your interstitial fluid, and it can take 10-15 mins for glucose to diffuse from your capillaries to your interstitial fluid, so your scan will tell you you blood glucose readings from 10 mins ago. If the filament has hit a capillary then your readings are more likely to show a more current glucose level. This being said mine didn't bleed much, and if you've ever applied sensors as per their instructions and there are errors then contact customer services they will send a replacement free of charge as long as you've applied it as per their instructions. They usually ask you to send the old sensor back so hold on to it in case.

Sorry that was a long post again! I hope you enjoy it. It has helped me flatten spikes especially surrounding meals and timing injections and I did initially have that 'my hidden disability is now visible' thing but as I got in in Oct I got used to it over winter months and now really wouldn't live without it! Scanning out and about is so easy and I do it when I otherwise would never have contemplated testing. I have also always been open about having type 1 with friends family etc etc so I haven't had any comments. I once had someone in an exercise class notice it and they were really excited for me that I didn't have to finger prick as often any more (so am I to be honest, my poor pin cushion fingers back in Oct are much happier now too!)

Hope some of this is useful and you're all keeping well!