Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sonnyb2 ,

Hope you are well?

No, I don't come personally under the guidelines for recommended shielding. Just following the "gov.org" recommendations along with a sprinkling of my own researched advice on the topic.

I basically pretend I might have the virus. But don't wish to put anyone else (particularly if vulnerable) at risk..

It a little like playing a computer game. (But with no algorithm or logic with some of the reality generated .)

Did you get a shielding letter?

Last edited:
Reactions: Toadnbunny

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Hi @Sonnyb2 ,

Hope you are well?

No, I don't come personally under the guidelines for recommended shielding. Just following the "gov.org" recommendations along with a sprinkling of my own researched advice on the topic.

I basically pretend I might have the virus. But don't wish to put anyone else (particularly if vulnerable) at risk..

It a little like playing a computer game. (But with no algorithm or logic with some of the reality generated .)

Did you get a shielding letter?

Yes

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else got a shielding letter with type 1 diabetes
If you have Type 1 alone, you are not in the list of those who need to shield. Check gov.uk site fir up to date info.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you have Type 1 alone, you are not in the list of those who need to shield. Check gov.uk site fir up to date info.

Plenty of T1s have other conditions and I believe if your most recent hba1c is over a certain level you get to shield....?

Reactions: ianstead

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems different GPs have interpreted the advice in different ways. My hospital consultant told me he'd come accross many who had been given shielding letters if they had one condition from the 'clinically vulnerable list' plus any other health condition (not from either list).

He also advised effectively shielding for any type 1, regardless of control of whether you've had a letter. Let's face it blood glucose is hard enough to manage usually, let alone when ill! It's obviously up to us what we choose to do, but I was surprised my consultant spoke so plainly, when they've also always said I have very good control (trying to paint a picture, not boast, I've had struggles too don't get me wrong!).

You can always ring your GP if you want to query it. My understanding is that it protects you more in law eg to work from home if possible, and get food delivery slots.

Reactions: oldgreymare

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Yeah got mine, no other conditions. Type 1

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven’t had one, told won’t get one as don’t have complications or other health conditions and a good HbA1c ‍♀️

Reactions: Jackie100

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
From what I remember, @mooshk , your last few HbA1cs were a bit on the high side? That could be why you received the letter?
I asked the surgery on Friday and they said all type 1's under their care are now getting them so I'm guessing it's post code lottery situation now. Maybe since the new stats

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I called (post new research) and asked receptionist for one and then I got one same day. Doctor left voicemail saying in light of T1 he agreed I needed one. I’m 40 and hba1c s usually 7-8. No other conditions.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just to say I also contacted my GP, said I was wondering whether I should expect a shielding letter given the new research this week showing type 1s are at higher risk. I got a call back from my GP saying that was entirely appropriate and that I should get the letter within a week. I have no other conditions and according to my consultant 'very good control'.

If you haven't already asked your GP and are concerned, I'd send them a quick email.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

DotsDots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received a phone call on Thus from local Council Shielding Team to expect a shielding letter (unable to give further info). Shocked as working in NHS. Unsure as to why.

Pam R

No! I didn’t get a shielding letter either and I am well over 70 as well! Just been self isolating since 12th March and spending HOURS looking for delivery slots at supermarkets.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No! I didn’t get a shielding letter either and I am well over 70 as well! Just been self isolating since 12th March and spending HOURS looking for delivery slots at supermarkets.
Sainsbury's wrote to me at the beginning of the lockdown to say I was included in the priority for deliveries because I am over 70 and I have had no problem with deliveries ever since. I don't have a shielding letter or deserve one, so you should be on the priority list anyway.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a healthy, bang on weight, active 60 year old who has the advantage of not going to work. If I receive a shielding letter I shall rebel. Life is for living, not locking myself down for years (this virus isn’t going anywhere) only to die of something else. I am not a 20 year old with endless possibilities stretching out in front of me. This is it, I have reached the Autumn part. Being sensible for a couple of months is doable. And believe me I have done it in spades without interacting with anyone apart from hubby. In fact Morrisons have just delivered our 4 weekly order. Which was wonderful as we have been managing for a week without many basic items.
However, to remove myself long term from society until I succumb to something else isn’t. My grandson isn’t going to stop growing until I rejoin him. My aged parents may die tomorrow. Would I wish to not see and hug them again just so I can keep living-no what’s the point. We need other people and to live life in an enjoyable sociable way. If I had to shield and not go out tomorrow, I might just as well be a prisoner in Armley Jail.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.

Asda have saved us, they seem to have more slots than the other supermarkets. Morrisons also have more slots, but as they have gone local rather than delivering from a bigger depot they don't have the same range any more.
Tesco and Sainsbury's have been useless.

And yes, I was up at midnight pressing refresh hoping to grab one of the first new slots for 3 weeks into the future, lol. Like a really poor version of attempting to get a ticket for Glastonbury.