Confused

Siddhantkhankal

Hi everyone, I am 28 year old 60 kg, 5'6 height. diagnosed with T2 in november 2019. at very first my fasting BS was 205 and post meal was 311 in november. In december my fasting BS was 124 and post meal was 238 with metformin 500 mg and Alogliptin 25 mg. Today I checked, my fasting is 87 and post meal is 109.
I am confused, doctor said continue the tablets. Am i in remission or somehow my diabetes is cured or what is going on? Confused. Yesterday I checked BS at the lab,without taking medicine.

Siddhantkhankal

Hi everyone, I am 28 year old 60 kg, 5'6 height. diagnosed with T2 in november 2019. at very first my fasting BS was 205 and post meal was 311 in november. In december my fasting BS was 124 and post meal was 238 with metformin 500 mg and Alogliptin 25 mg. Today I checked, my fasting is 87 and post meal is 109.
I am confused, doctor said continue the tablets. Am i in remission or somehow my diabetes is cured or what is going on? Confused. I checked BS at the lab,without taking medicine.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
In december my fasting BS was 124 and post meal was 238 with metformin 500 mg and Alogliptin 25 mg. Today I checked, my fasting is 87 and post meal is 109.

Your answer is there, by taking the medication that you are taking your fasting and post meal BG readings have come down. That is true so long as you continue taking the medication unless you change your diet.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is possible to be type 2 at your slimness and age and it is likely that your meds have a) inhibited your production of glucose in the liver - metformin b) enhanced your production of insulin (the gliptin) thus resulting in lower blood glucose levels. If that is the case and nothing else changes diet and body composition wise, you may continue to have insulin resistance and may evenutally need more meds to get the same results.
The other possiblity is that you are type 1 with some residual insulin in which case your control would also dimminish as you lose insulin producing capability.
To establish the difference talk to your doctor about a c peptide test to determine how much insulin you are making naturally. If you are making plenty of your own then this supports the type 2 diagnosis but if its less then you could research into a different diagnosis.

It is best to know and then in both cases to get some advice on diet and lifestyle to best support whatever insulin levels you've got whilst keeping blood sugars low and stable. Usually for type 2 this is best done via diet.

Reactions: Siddhantkhankal