Free’ist Marshmallows?

Toadnbunny

Ok since making a mistake with carbs / Keto and gluten free bread I am double checking everything!

So have these marshmallows - Free’ist. The day sugar free, made from sweetened, gelatine, some maize starch.

Per 100g = 80g carbohydrate but less than 0.5g of which sugars. UK based.

So... no good for Keto? The whole pack is 75g and I’m unlikely to eat more than 1/4 pack... so???
IMG_1590583555.592117.jpg

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So... no good for Keto? The whole pack is 75g and I’m unlikely to eat more than 1/4 pack... so???
No, no good for keto, they still have carbs and a large percentage of carbs at that
You need to pay attention to the carb content not the sugar content.
A quarter of that bag would still be 15g carbs which given its a snack leaves very little carbs for the rest of the day

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’d bin it and have a spoon full of pure peanut butter instead. But that’s just me...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hang on a minute before you ditch them. It says 80 gr carbs, of which sugar <0,5 gr, of which polyols 76 gr. Which leaves you with only 4 gr of 'regular' carbs.
I don't have experience with polyols but I think this is the stuff not affecting bg in many people so you might be actually fine with those marshmellows!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For every 100g of product, they are 80g of carbs.
So for a 20g portion of product, they are 16g carbs.

However, since they are made of sweeteners, not sugar, and different ppl have different responses to different sweeteners, whether those responses are blood glucose rising, or insulin response, or even gut/mood/sleep disturbances, then really, you need to either bin them, or do some testing. You can use a meter to see if you tolerate them.

My opinion? If I were going to have something sweet with a few carbs in it, then marshmallows, especially artificially sweetened ones, would be way down on my list (along with licorice and second hand toenail clippings ;) ). But each to their own.

If you want 'em, try 'em, and see what your glucometer and ketone meters say. :D
One marshmallow probably has, what, 2g of those sweeteners? Hardly the end of the world. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok since making a mistake with carbs / Keto and gluten free bread I am double checking everything!

So have these marshmallows - Free’ist. The day sugar free, made from sweetened, gelatine, some maize starch.

Per 100g = 80g carbohydrate but less than 0.5g of which sugars. UK based.

So... no good for Keto? The whole pack is 75g and I’m unlikely to eat more than 1/4 pack... so???View attachment 41710

In theory they may not impact your blood sugars, but for me the red flag is malitol - serious laxative qualities!

I do spike with that type of sweetener - and also find the products too sweet. Others don’t so I’d test and see - but stay close to the loo!

Toadnbunny

Hang on a minute before you ditch them. It says 80 gr carbs, of which sugar <0,5 gr, of which polyols 76 gr. Which leaves you with only 4 gr of 'regular' carbs.
I don't have experience with polyols but I think this is the stuff not affecting bg in many people so you might be actually fine with those marshmellows!

Yes that’s what I had thought too but made a similar mistake with gluten free bread so completely don’t trust myself now!

I think testing might be the only way to know! X

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that’s what I had thought too but made a similar mistake with gluten free bread so completely don’t trust myself now!

I think testing might be the only way to know! X
If you test, be sure to tell us the outcome and how much you enjoyed them!
With the gluten free bread it's a different kind of mistake. Either the package or google would've told you it was full of carbs so you probably made that mistake before you knew what to look for. I guess we all made those kind of mistakes ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
maize starch is also something I would avoid.
Why? If it only makes for 4 grams of carbs per 100 grams of marshmellows and you eat 25 grams of it (which is rather a lot for something as light-weight as marshmellows) it makes for one gram of total ingested carbs.
So what is the problem with maize starch if it's not the carbs? I use it occasionally and this is the first time I've heard to avoid it in small amounts.

Reactions: Daphne917

Hotpepper20000

Why? If it only makes for 4 grams of carbs per 100 grams of marshmellows and you eat 25 grams of it (which is rather a lot for something as light-weight as marshmellows) it makes for one gram of total ingested carbs.
So what is the problem with maize starch if it's not the carbs? I use it occasionally and this is the first time I've heard to avoid it in small amounts.
Personal experience with testing that anything with maize starch spikes my BG even in small amount. Sometimes it’s not about the carb amount but what the carb is.

prestonmike1

I've eaten sugar free marshmallows in the past and they've had no impact on my blood glucose levels, however, if you eat more than a handful of them, id make sure you're not too far away from a toilet!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not eat polyols - once was enough. Read the reviews of the sugar free gummibears on Amazon if you need a more explicit description of the results.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've eaten sugar free marshmallows in the past and they've had no impact on my blood glucose levels, however, if you eat more than a handful of them, id make sure you're not too far away from a toilet!
I used to have Sainsbury’s sugar free marshmallows but only a couple at a time.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personal experience with testing that anything with maize starch spikes my BG even in small amount. Sometimes it’s not about the carb amount but what the carb is.
However we are all individual and have different tolerances. I don’t even look for Maize Starch so not sure what effect they have on me.

Reactions: Toadnbunny

Hotpepper20000

However we are all individual and have different tolerances. I don’t even look for Maize Starch so not sure what effect they have on me.
I agree!
That is is why I wrote “I would avoid” and “Personal experience” because we are all different and I was sharing how I react. Testing is the only way to know and that is what makes type 2 so frustrating.

Reactions: Daphne917