This is going to sound weird but I actually feel better when I have high blood sugars

C

CelalDari

So I was feeling great therefore I thought I must have excellent blood sugars. The Libre says I was on 6.5 but when I checked manually I was 10. For some reason when my blood sugar is within range I feel low in energy. When my blood sugar is around 8-14 I feel much more lively although when I wake up with a high I am very thirsty.

Is this normal? Have you guys experienced this

Buzzer81

I have felt worse since losing two stone in weight and bringing my blood levels down to around 6-8mmol as an average.

However, I was only diagnosed end of Feb 2020 and since then it’s mainly been lockdown so I think that has also had an impact on how I feel.

Regardless of how I feel I know I need to keep my blood sugars low and I hope/ prey that I will start to feel better soon with more energy.

C

CelalDari

I have felt worse since losing two stone in weight and bringing my blood levels down to around 6-8mmol as an average.

However, I was only diagnosed end of Feb 2020 and since then it’s mainly been lockdown so I think that has also had an impact on how I feel.

Regardless of how I feel I know I need to keep my blood sugars low and I hope/ prey that I will start to feel better soon with more energy.

What was your initial HbA1c? I was diagnosed on 20th of April (slightly more than a month ago). My initial HbA1c was 134 mmol/mol which went down to 84 mmol/mol in a month’s time. When initially diagnosed we all feel bad, like I lost a 1/3 of my body weight from 86kg to 57kg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your initial HbA1c? I was diagnosed on 20th of April (slightly more than a month ago). My initial HbA1c was 134 mmol/mol which went down to 84 mmol/mol in a month’s time. When initially diagnosed we all feel bad, like I lost a 1/3 of my body weight from 86kg to 57kg
In that case your body is used to higher blood sugars and it will perceive normal blood glucose as too low. It takes time for your body to readjust. With an hba1c of 134 your body must have been used to blood glucose being in the 20's regularly, give it a bit of time.
It's called a 'false hypo' (google it) if you feel hypo at normal or even high levels. It's very normal to experience this when quickly lowering your bg.

Wish you all the best!

Buzzer81

In that case your body is used to higher blood sugars and it will perceive normal blood glucose as too low. It takes time for your body to readjust. With an hba1c of 134 your body must have been used to blood glucose being in the 20's regularly, give it a bit of time.
It's called a 'false hypo' (google it) if you feel hypo at normal or even high levels. It's very normal to experience this when quickly lowering your bg.

Wish you all the best!

Very helpful, thank you for that. I do hope my body readjusts. I wasn’t as high as the OP but only slightly less.

Reactions: Antje77

Buzzer81

Wow, that’s a lot of weight loss. Good work. My initial hba1c was 91. It was quite high and has worried me. I am trying to get it down to at least the low 40s ASAP. Thanks to this forum I have made some serious headway, change of diet and weight loss have been great. I was prescribed Metformin but after taking for a week or two i decided to scrap it and focus on diet only for now. I have a blood test booked in now for 9th June so fingers crossed I can get a good result then! I’m starting to worry that it will still be high though! That would be hard to take. Anyway, keep up what you’re doing as it’s working and let’s hope energy levels are restored!

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that’s a lot of weight loss. Good work. My initial hba1c was 91. It was quite high and has worried me. I am trying to get it down to at least the low 40s ASAP. Thanks to this forum I have made some serious headway, change of diet and weight loss have been great. I was prescribed Metformin but after taking for a week or two i decided to scrap it and focus on diet only for now. I have a blood test booked in now for 9th June so fingers crossed I can get a good result then! I’m starting to worry that it will still be high though! That would be hard to take. Anyway, keep up what you’re doing as it’s working and let’s hope energy levels are restored!
Sounds like you have a great positive attitude! Goodluck xox

Reactions: Buzzer81
C

CelalDari

Well I’m a Type 1 diabetic so the likely scenario is I produced no insulin or very very little insulin. Therefore I was entirely living off my fat reserves for month. Because my weight loss was gradual and I was a little bigger but still within the healthy BMI range it took me a while to realise it’s not normal, especially since I was eating quite a bit of food. But I honestly didn’t feel that bad. I mean I’ve had the flu much worse.

My doctors were so surprised that I “looked so healthy” despite my ketones being extremely high (4-5 mmol/L)