Had Enough

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, Steve, it's easy and fair for you to feel that way: I like your responses on this thread though- there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel: your numbers aren't actually that bad, and if you just start eating low-carb: like bacon and eggs, pork chops and sausages, cheese- that sort of thing, your blood sugars will improve and you'll probably start feeling better all round. The odd beer doesn't do much to my blood sugar, but if it raises yours, you can have wine or spirits instead- very low carb. Good luck with it: I think you just need to get the hang of it, then you'll get on top of it, and then you'll feel a lot better

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@southamptonsteve1959 - I know you feel strongly about paying for any form of dietary support, but, and it is a huge but, everything you say, about not knoiwing what to do, not really knowing which food choices to make, about being preparation time poor, and potentially finding a dietician input to be useful, is almost like a tick box menu for the Low Carb Programme.

That is is currently on a massive discouts - at £21 for a year's membership, with support from mentors, behavioural change coaches, exercise folks and a dietician - who is fully on-side with the Low Carb way of eating.

At £21, it's almost a drop in the ocean to what it could cost to flounder for some time.

However, on an overall basis, by suggestion to you would be to concentrate on the things you can have, rather than those which would seem like less good ideas these days.

Reduced Carb eating, like many other things, is a matter of habit. Once those habits become a little more engrained, it gets easier.

OK, I've been eating that way for several years, butI never even pause in the caakes and biccies isle, unless my OH needs something. His current favourite is a particular brand of dark chocolate covered stem ginger cookie. He can have that. I'm not bothered.

All the best with it, because one thing is for sure, you deserve better than a life littered with health issues and likely complications further down the line. You cite losing a partner, and a feeling of little prospect of finding another, but the picture of someone whose life is limited (in terms of what you can do, rather than necessarily time), is hardly the biggest draw for someone looking for love.

At the beginning, and from time to time, my OH has commented some frustration over my way of eating (I happen to also need to be gluten-free, but that's zero to do with my T2), but he does appreciate that I am fit, energetic and have a massive desire to live a good and long life, and that's important to us both.

Life and relationships are aboiut compromises. I prefer to compromise for the best outcome I can manage.

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Thank you G_P
I’m taking in all reply’s, thank you for taking the time to send yours.
A life style change is never going to be easy with me but I’m encouraged by responses on here.

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Thank you . I think for £21 I may review that, I was looking at £70...I’m not happy at £70 but £21 is do-able.
If everyone is on low carb diet and looking after their levels how come they are not all in remission?
Is remission a myth to encourage you?
Thanks again. Steve

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Oppo ice cream.
85 percent or higher is delish. Especially grated over oppo!

I have tried the Oppo ice cream today and agree it is delish. Have to control myself to not scoff the whole tub.
Don’t understand your end sentence...especially grated over oppo??
Oppo grated over Oppo?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you . I think for £21 I may review that, I was looking at £70...I’m not happy at £70 but £21 is do-able.
If everyone is on low carb diet and looking after their levels how come they are not all in remission?
Thanks again. Steve
I think it ends soo. So review it soon. It’s been on quite a while.

not at all a myth. Many of us don’t mark our avatar as for some reason it used to have something like reversed and many don’t like that term. I see looking now these have been updated to include remission though. There are a lot of people in here who achieve totally normal numbers. Even those that don’t still see great improvements, less medication and fewer complications. Some choose not to take it too low and mix protocol with medication by choice.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried the Oppo ice cream today and agree it is delish. Have to control myself to not scoff the whole tub.
Oppo grated over Oppo?
85% dark chocolate grated over oppo ice cream.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oppo grated over Oppo?
Sorry, 85pc chocolate.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again. Steve

I just need to emphasise that the £21 offer ends at the end of this month, so that's Sunday. From Monday, it reverts to the usual cost.

Why isn't everyone on remission?

In my opinion that's almost a "how long is a piece of skin" question.

Many, many do achieve remission - some maintain it and others find their new habits are easier to maintain than others. Similarly, not all T2s become T2 for the same reason. In some cases, they should have been diagnosed with a different type of diabetes - in reality being something like LADA, which is more a variant of T1, but with a very slow onset.

For others the reason can be the person can't find a balance in their lives where they live a decent life, and equally decent blood sugar numbers. For some that can be because they are juggle multiple comorbidities For some that can be that their pancreas just can't perform in the required way, and for some it could be they are taking medications which significantly impact their blood glucose levels, and importantly, some don't feel motivated to change. Again, that lack of motivation may be because of a package of issues they live with - both for themselves, but also in the immediate family dynamic.

The thing is, there is no definite predictor of who will and who won't achieve remission, and to what extent that remission will be maintainable long term.

I am absolutely not putting myself on any sort of pedestal here, because it can be painful when one falls off, but at I do seem to have been very lucky indeed, in that by and large, my body has recovered to a large extent from any damage my T2 did to me. Personally, I don't find living a lower carb lifestyle for the last 6.5 years to have been too much of a hardship, but and it is a BIG BUT, I do have my days. You know, those days when we think a sort of random, "I just want x, y or z".

Do I give in? Sometimes, and sometimes, I just move on and either choose something different or get distracted. Nobody's life runs to clockwork.

Honestly, please do try to do something, because I have observed individuals who have deferred and deferred actions, until even their best efforts are not going to achieve their dream. When it comes to preventing complications, the sooner we intervene the better, and to be honest, the feeling of empowerment when we're doing "something" is empowering. We're dealing with "it", rather than "it" dealing with us.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again. Steve

Hi @southamptonsteve1959,

Based on the results of the Virta Health study, about 60% of those changing to a low-carb/ketogenic way of eating experience remission. Dr. David Unwin and this site's low-carb program report similar figures. As @DCUKMod says, one reason may be that not all those diagnosed with T2 are truly T2 -- some might be LADA (slow-onset T1) or MODY (a genetic condition where beta cells, for the most part, don't function correctly -- though there many different forms of MODY). Another reason seems to be that after many years/decades of very high blood sugars, beta cells may be irreparably damaged (though there are some anecdotes that remission has just taken a bit longer and was achieved after being low carb for many years).

I also agree with @HSSS that many on this forum choose not change the description under their avatar from "T2" to "T2 in remission" and that this might create an impression that that remission for T2s is less common on this forum that it actually is.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Steve, please stop beating yourself up. From what you said in your original post you are trying to cope with the aftermath of cancer, loss of a partner, T2 and the pressures of lockdown and still maintaining a job. This would be a big ask for anyone and so far you actually seem to be just about be managing!!!! Your HbA1c is heading in the right direction. I am going to make a radical suggestion re testing. Don't do it all the time if it is distressing you. Do specific testing e.g. before, then 1 hour and 2 hours after chips. Decide on the basis of that test whether or not eating chips was worth the big increase in blood glucose levels. Similarly, work out a range of meals that you enjoy but don't give glucose spikes. You then know that it is safe to eat that meal without testing. A process of elimination can reduce testing and stress around food and meals.
Remission is certainly possible and many people have achieved it. It won't be easy but now is a really good time to focus on yourself and your health. You can do it!

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Thanks for your reply Doc.
I’m not going to test as often if it’s going to stress me. Fasting and 2hrs post meal will do me, I’ve not had chips now for long time, have lots of boiled eggs or meat over salads. I like food that’s quick to prep. Can’t be doing all that peeling carrots and washing veg stuff, use frozen mixed veg but only about once a week. Nearest I get to chips is the rare occasion of boiled egg with a small bag of crisps.
Come winter the salad will no longer appeal to me so not sure how that will go.
Thanks again.
BG fasting 4.3 and post stir fry this eve 6.2. I’m not even sure if that’s good or not. Need more suppprt with what readings mean.

Reactions: HSSS

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Thank you Ziggy.
Interesting read. I’ve signed up with the low carb diet, I like recording food intake and seeing the results in graphic charts, does make me think a bit more about what I’m eating.
The remission status is one I’d like to get to, there is not much info on how to look after yourself once you’ve achieved it, can you have a treat now and then once you’ve got there? What’s the rewards other than not taking meds?
Thanks again.
Steve

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @southamptonsteve1959,

Fasting BG of 4.3 mmol and 6.2 mmol after a meal are fantastic results. Seems as if you are on your way to having this licked. Seeing your progress on charts is really inspiring, isn't it?

The best thing about remission, for me personally, is that I feel good, have much more energy, and have stopped worrying about complications. I also really, really enjoy this way of eating. Who knows -- you too may after some time not even miss the naughty snacks.

By the way, there are now also a number of companies catering to our way of life. If you have a sweet tooth and don't really like to fuss with baking -- you may want to have a look at this site: https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Ziggy.
Interesting read. I’ve signed up with the low carb diet, I like recording food intake and seeing the results in graphic charts, does make me think a bit more about what I’m eating.
The remission status is one I’d like to get to, there is not much info on how to look after yourself once you’ve achieved it, can you have a treat now and then once you’ve got there? What’s the rewards other than not taking meds?
Thanks again.
Steve

Hi Steve, I would say the 'reward' is your short and long term health. The more I read about how diabetes can cause all sorts of ill health and terrible complications the more I strongly believe that what YOU do has a massive impact. It's not just diabetes it's the additional conditions that tend to go hand in hand with it. I don't think of it in terms of having to do this and that so therefore I need a reward, I see it as a necessary way of life. As for 'treats'?, again I don't look at it in those terms but if I decide I want to eat something now and again that wouldn't normally form part of my diet...then I do. You seem to be doing really well and once you've achieved your initial goals then you keep on going. x

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're looking for sausages that are suitable for low carb, try Heck 97% pork. They do other varieties, chicken with mozarella fir example. Available in Asda, Morrison's, Sainsbury's. The pork ones are my favourite. My husband and son like them too - and they don't have diabetes. Best wishes and good luck. I don't eat things I don't like either. You're not alone in that.