Blood sugar level rising....

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A
Hi, I have type two. It is controlled via two medications.

Unfortunately, I also have asthma and I am on antibiotics again (third course since March). Instead of having my steroids increased to eight a day for five days, then reduced by one tablet every three days, which really made me ill, a discussion with the GP and he decided to just double them. So wasn't expecting any issues with my blood sugars, how wrong could I be...

My blood sugar this morning was 5.3...now that was a surprise to be within normal limits as not had that for a long time. By this afternoon, it had gone to 14.2 - I'd had a sandwich for lunch.

But now I feel really ill, sick, dizzy and eyes blurring and extremely tired. Checked my blood sugar levels and they've shot up to 22.8.

People are supposed to exercise to get the levels down but I have a few health conditions that prevent me from exercising.

My question...how can I get the level back to a reasonable level? Should I contact the GP tomorrow morning or just wait till Thursday when I'm having a call to discuss the asthma issue and if the antibiotics are working?

Thank you.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're in the UK you should ring 111 and ask them for advice, you need to get your blood sugars down, especially if it's making you unwell. Hope you get sorted.

Reactions: Perminder1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have type two. It is controlled via two medications.

Unfortunately, I also have asthma and I am on antibiotics again (third course since March). Instead of having my steroids increased to eight a day for five days, then reduced by one tablet every three days, which really made me ill, a discussion with the GP and he decided to just double them. So wasn't expecting any issues with my blood sugars, how wrong could I be...

My blood sugar this morning was 5.3...now that was a surprise to be within normal limits as not had that for a long time. By this afternoon, it had gone to 14.2 - I'd had a sandwich for lunch.

But now I feel really ill, sick, dizzy and eyes blurring and extremely tired. Checked my blood sugar levels and they've shot up to 22.8.

People are supposed to exercise to get the levels down but I have a few health conditions that prevent me from exercising.

My question...how can I get the level back to a reasonable level? Should I contact the GP tomorrow morning or just wait till Thursday when I'm having a call to discuss the asthma issue and if the antibiotics are working?

Thank you.
Hi @whyme_again ,

If you're a T2, and on steroids, you will see your blood sugars go up. Two ways to tackle this, if you cannot do without the steroids (and I realise being able to breathe can come in useful): Stick with a very, very low carb diet of about 20 grams of carbs a day, and accept a 9.something here and there, or request to be put on insulin temporarily. Either way, you don't want to do this without medical help.

I go for the low carb myself, as sandwiches used to do to me what they're now doing to you (seeing 20's), but if I get a steroid shot now I don't go higher than a nine. Same with a flu jab. Which I can live with for a few days, you know? https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help. And step away from the sandwiches for the time being.

And if you are ever in doubt, call 111. Don't take risks, don't second-guess yourself into oblivion about whether or not to call. Feel off, scared, weird? Call them. And keep checking your levels. Hope you feel better soon.
Jo

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A
Hi @whyme_again ,

If you're a T2, and on steroids, you will see your blood sugars go up. Two ways to tackle this, if you cannot do without the steroids (and I realise being able to breathe can come in useful): Stick with a very, very low carb diet of about 20 grams of carbs a day, and accept a 9.something here and there, or request to be put on insulin temporarily. Either way, you don't want to do this without medical help.

I go for the low carb myself, as sandwiches used to do to me what they're now doing to you (seeing 20's), but if I get a steroid shot now I don't go higher than a nine. Same with a flu jab. Which I can live with for a few days, you know? https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help. And step away from the sandwiches for the time being.

And if you are ever in doubt, call 111. Don't take risks, don't second-guess yourself into oblivion about whether or not to call. Feel off, scared, weird? Call them. And keep checking your levels. Hope you feel better soon.
Jo
Thank you. I have a complicated diet so limited as to what I can eat. I've had to change from my gluten free rolls as they dint help control the sugar levels. My blood sugar level at 4.30 am was 13.6. I'm presuming that would be classed as a fasting reading as not eaten since 9pm the previous night.

I guess I'm confused about the level as the steroid increase is just one tablet rather than another seven. I certainly didn't expect one tablet to have such an impact. Unless it's with the antibiotic as well

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A
If you're in the UK you should ring 111 and ask them for advice, you need to get your blood sugars down, especially if it's making you unwell. Hope you get sorted.
Thank you. I have a booked telephone appointment with the GP so they may reduce my meds further.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @whyme_again

Steroids are notorious for raising blood glucose levels, so I would hope/expect your doctor to be able to deal with this through medication.

My only comment is that if your blood glucose is rising and falling from the steroids (you would have to test regularly to find out when and if this happening), then adding more medication into the mix may need even more careful testing to avoid you going hypo. Diet, and carb reduction would factor into this too.

If your steroids are causing your blood glucose to rise and then stay constantly high (again, this needs consistent testing to discover), then that may well inform your doc's choice of medication and will reduce the chance of hypos.

Please let us know how you get on?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I have a complicated diet so limited as to what I can eat. I've had to change from my gluten free rolls as they dint help control the sugar levels. My blood sugar level at 4.30 am was 13.6. I'm presuming that would be classed as a fasting reading as not eaten since 9pm the previous night.

I guess I'm confused about the level as the steroid increase is just one tablet rather than another seven. I certainly didn't expect one tablet to have such an impact. Unless it's with the antibiotic as well
Well, you're not on steroids and antibiotics for the heck of it. When your body's fighting something off, blood sugars rise too.The worse the inflammation/infection/virus etc, the worse your blood sugars become. So you're getting hit from all sides right now. If you're a coeliac (never quite sure if I spell that right in English, but you get what I mean), that "goes well" with a low carb diet, as there's no grains in it. Can we help tweak your diet at all?