Help! Is this low carb?!

Toadnbunny

Hi there, new to the forum but not new to low carb (though returning to it after a I’ll advised break!).

So - I have been given these bagels - they have 32.5g of carbs per 100g but 0.8g of toys sugars... on the front the little nutrition strip says they provide 1% sugar. Are they low carb? Can I eat them and not be booted out of ketosis / get sugar cravings etc?!!

I feel like if the answer is yes that I am somehow cheating!!
IMG_1590508488.511431.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NO!
32.5% carbs is not keto.. how many grams of carb per bagel.
Look at the label on the back never the useless traffic light nonsense on the front.

Toadnbunny

So I have myself in a right old knowledge deficit here! I thought it was the net carbs after taking away fibre etc that were the ones that caused spikes in blood sugar - which I have (wrongly?!) thought were the ‘that sugars’ part of the carb count?! So I’m barking up the wrong tree here and clearly need to read up a bit more - a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing
IMG_1590509936.390903.jpg

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are in the US you take away the fibre, however assuming you are in the UK, you do not
You need to use the carbs value (so 31.5 per 100g or 22.1 per bagel) - ignore the of sugars value (note: it can be useful for working out how fast the rise is likely to be, but not really anything else).

Gluten free stuff can often have more carbs than non gluten-free just for reference (I realise that non gluten-free is not an option for some)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where are you? In the uk we look at the carbs. In the US the have total carbs, less fibre = net carbs.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a UK label so the total carb figure is correct, the fibre hasn’t been included. If you’re looking for a ketogenic way of eating, then one bagel is more than 20g carbs, so yes, eating them will likely throw you out of ketosis and may well trigger cravings.

I’d eat more of whatever you’d put in the bagel (assuming that’s also low carb) - a big plate of smoked salmon and cream cheese, for example is delicious and both those ingredients are more tasty than bread.

Toadnbunny

Thank you everyone! Clears that up and kind of glad I hadn’t gone ahead without checking! Yes completely agree with the person who commented about eating more of what goes in the bagel than the bagel itself! Thanks all xxx

Reactions: xfieldok

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting...in Canada, that would be not too bad. Our labels here include fibre, and many non-nutritive sweeteners in the carb totals, so those bagels would be about 10g carbs after subtracting the fibre.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting...in Canada, that would be not too bad. Our labels here include fibre, and many non-nutritive sweeteners in the carb totals, so those bagels would be about 10g carbs after subtracting the fibre.

But the starting number would be higher so that the fibre could be subtracted - the nutritional content of the food doesn’t change, just the way it’s presented.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an argument on Twitter with someone who knew that fibre is a carbohydrate and that it was subtracted from the total - you really do need to watch out for different labeling in different parts of the world.

Reactions: Toadnbunny

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the label per 100g is 32.5 g carbohydrate. I find using 5g per 100g a useful guideline. Any more than 5g I try to avoid. Good luck with your diet