Lentils

rubypops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning
I've been eating a reduced carb diet for about two weeks now. It's making bloodsugar control much easier. (I don't want to eliminate carbs altogether, just manage them)

Yesterday I had a plate of lentils and chorizo for dinner which caused a huge bloodsugar spike. It seems that lentils need almost as much insulin as a plate of rice?!
Articles on the internet seem to contradict this.

Any advise about how lentils work? I've never eaten them much and they are a mystery to me.
Thanks

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think this can be a very individual thing, perhaps different metabolisms process them more or less efficiently.

I myself can eat lentils by the KG and i don't see a spike, others have a tiny amount and get a large rise.

Note this is from a Type 2 perspective, but i would guess the same differences in conversion rates apply to type 1, though if your not sure how many grams of carbs your getting out of them it makes it very difficult to guess your insulin requirements.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lentils a lot but I find the variety makes a difference with Puy lentils being the best. I wouldn't have more than 100g cooked weight usually less. I am type 2 on a moderately low carb diet and the above doesn't affect my BG.