How to treat hypos during prolonged exercise, for keto...

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking for advice from anyone who is both type 1 and keto - how to treat hypos during prolonged exercise? I like to cycle long-distance, and normally do so fasted, but if I hit a hypo, I have to treat it with glucose, which tips me back into carb-burning...

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm on keto and am type 1. I drink coffee with a splash of cream before exercising while exercising (10 km run) and I don't hypo on just long-acting. On reflection, it could be the small amounts of long-acting I take.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Colin of Kent - unfortunately when you hit hypo you have to treat with fast acting glucose there isn’t any way round this and more so when exercising to limit the time when hypo, getting your levels back to a safe level is vital. Have you tried even eating something small/lowish in carbs beforehand to keep your levels up during periods when your exercising and to avoid the hypo this way ?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies. I think the problem is an excess of insulin, so my next step is simply to take my pump of an hour before I plan to ride. We'll see how that goes - it's all trial and error!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. I think the problem is an excess of insulin, so my next step is simply to take my pump of an hour before I plan to ride. We'll see how that goes - it's all trial and error!

Hi Colin, and just remember that once you are in a hypo it is imperative that you take fast acting carbs to get you out of it without worrying about it dropping you out of keto. It's actually a medical emergency as you know of course, so fast action is vital. I think sometimes we focus too much on 'ruining our dietary aims' than anything else but please always have in mind that dealing with a hypo is crucial (especially on a bike :)). Yep, I definitely agree that hypo's are down to too much insulin, not your fault as it is very hard to inject the EXACT amount of insulin at the EXACT right time given that a 'normal' person's pancreas stops and releases insulin constantly when needed. If you are keto and don't wish to take those extra pesky carbs then all I can think to do is reduce the insulin before/during/after a ride!! I don't use a pump so I hope that helps you. x

Last edited:

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Colin, and just remember that once you are in a hypo it is imperative that you take fast acting carbs to get you out of it without worrying about it dropping you out of keto. It's actually a medical emergency as you know of course, so fast action is vital. I think sometimes we focus too much on 'ruining our dietary aims' than anything else but please always have in mind that dealing with a hypo is crucial (especially on a bike :)). Yep, I definitely agree that hypo's are down to too much insulin, not your fault as it is very hard to inject the EXACT amount of insulin at the EXACT right time given that a 'normal' person's pancreas stops and releases insulin constantly when needed. If you are keto and don't wish to take those extra pesky carbs then all I can think to do is reduce the insulin before/during/after a ride!! I don't use a pump so I hope that helps you. x
Thank you, and yes, please be assured that I do treat the hypo first and worry about ketosis second! :happy: