What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing day shame mainly stuck indoors again working on PC but finished mays project at last and hoping to have a few days away from the screen! Happy though as achieved what I wanted to do. Went for a wonderful walk this evening to celebrate finishing the work - lovely golden light bathing the countryside amazing.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg with half a slice of toasted lc bread
Lunch two lc seeded crackers with cheese and celery followed by an Aldi nut and seed bar
Dinner two lamb chops, cheese stuffed mushrooms and a few onions with glass dry white followed by lc raspberry mousse and one strawberry with extra thick cream.
@Chook miss travelling the most but just meeting friends for meals and drinks would be so lovely and like @Goonergal especially if it was at a Brazilian meat bbq place!!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my sausage and veg casserole. It was not bad but the portion that I put out for myself didn't satisfy so I had to go back for more. Still the same amount left though. The gravy for the casserole was tinned tomatoes and while I was chopping veg and dealing with tomato, I made my tomato ketchup. Just got it all strained out and away in the fridge. Might manage to make the mayonnaise tomorrow.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good, provided I can find affordable almond meal again :)
Just a few questions:
- Is this granulated sugar substitute about as sweet as sugar? I can handle 3 tablespoons of sugar in a recipe with the ingredients adding up to 1000 grams I guess :)
- What does vanilla come like in your country? I can buy either the natural sticks or a sickly sweet vanilla sugar.
- Not a clue what's in this 'mixed spice' but guessing I'll be fine if I just play around with things like cinnamon, 5-spices, nutmeg, chilli, cardamom, ground cloves and such, right?

Reactions: Rachox and ziggy_w

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
27-05-2020
breakfast, 2 x CWH&H, last of the nut granola, 2 eggs scrambled with butter. Used to have this most days until eggs became a scarce commodity.
lunch: ham rolled up with soft cheese and chives, lettuce mountain, cucumber, coleslaw, one decent sized radish and a couple of marble sized ones.About a tablespoonful of wild strawberries with teaspoon of cream, water and tea.second cup of tea
dinner: Duck Parmentier warmed up in the oven while new batch of nut granola was baking. brocolli and carrots also warmed up, but this time in microwave. Had also the very first mange tout, straight from from the garden to the pan, knob of butter, absolutely fab. Water and later two glasses of wine .
snack: two slices of ham.
cup of tea.

Now, I realise I should know this by now, but at two hours after a meal should BG be back to where it was? Or is this where its not supposed to be more than two points up?
BG before dinner was 5.4
two hours later 5.6

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds good, provided I can find affordable almond meal again :)
Just a few questions:
- Is this granulated sugar substitute about as sweet as sugar? I can handle 3 tablespoons of sugar in a recipe with the ingredients adding up to 1000 grams I guess :)
- What does vanilla come like in your country? I can buy either the natural sticks or a sickly sweet vanilla sugar.
- Not a clue what's in this 'mixed spice' but guessing I'll be fine if I just play around with things like cinnamon, 5-spices, nutmeg, chilli, cardamom, ground cloves and such, right?
I just use ground almonds, it’s not as fine as flour but works just fine in this recipe.
For the sugar sub I use xylitol (poisonous for animals though so not good for your household) or erythritol.
The vanilla is vanilla extract or essence, it comes in a small bottle as a concentrated liquid.
Mixed spice varies, but the one I use contains cinnamon, coriander seed, nutmeg, clove and ginger

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Chook -- So sorry to hear about your neighbor's knee. It does sound very painful.
@Annb -- Hope you feel better tomorrow.
@Goonergal and @DJC3 -- Sorry that your blood sugars are not playing game. Personally, I find that my blood sugars are often coming in waves, a couple of days of somewhat higher blood sugars, then a couple of days of lower blood sugars without really seeing a cause for either.

In Germany, some of the stricter lock-down measures were lifted some weeks ago (not that they were ever quite as strict as where you are.) We now are only reminded to keep a distance and wear a mask when shopping or when we can't keep sufficient distance.

What I enjoyed most, after some of the measures were relaxed, was being able to be out in a side walk cafe, meet some friends, enjoy the fresh air and have a glass of wine. Also shopping stuff other than groceries was a boon.

The one thing that hasn't returned to normal is my job. Everything happens virtually/remotely from home -- teaching, meetings, written and oral exams, as well as workshops to acquire the necessary technical skills to get all of this done. I really miss being in direct contact with students -- which really is the most enjoyable part of my job. Not to mention that this also means that my husband doesn't have the run of the house while I record lectures, attend workshops or meetings, or have Zoom meetings with students -- which honestly is most of the day.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's food ...

Breakfast: One double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A chicken wiener. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon.

Lunch: 120g of chicken-liver pate

Snack: About 30g of homemade Amarettini (good taste, but way to solid and hard -- should try to use less almond flour next time) plus four smallish strawberries.

Dinner: Two chicken legs roasted in the oven with just some salt and black pepper. Some dry red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: One double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A third of a T-bone steak with homemade sauce bearnaise. A serving of rhubarb cooked with erythritol

Snack: About 20g of chocolate, 4 smallish strawberries and about 20g of the Amarettini.

Dinner: Salad olivieh made with cauliflour rather than potato. Some dry red wine.

@Antje77 -- I usually use some cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon as spices for carrot cake plus usually something a bit citrusy such as lemon or orange oil. As to vanilla, I use sugarless vanilla extract, it keeps well and turns out to be a bit more economical than vanilla beans. As sweetener, erythritol is my favorite -- same texture as sugar, holds up well to heat, but is a bit less sweet (about 0.7 times the sweetness of sugar). As I like my cakes less sweet anyway, I just convert 1 to 1.

Let us know how it goes. I am sure @Rachox's recipe will turn out great.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 -- I usually use some cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon as spices for carrot cake plus usually something a bit citrusy such as lemon or orange oil. As to vanilla, I use sugarless vanilla extract, it keeps well and turns out to be a bit more economical than vanilla beans. As sweetener, erythritol is my favorite -- same texture as sugar, holds up well to heat, but is a bit less sweet (about 0.7 times the sweetness of sugar). As I like my cakes less sweet anyway, I just convert 1 to 1.
Looks like I've got the ideas as to the spices about right :)
I think I'll include fresh ginger and chilli powder too, or perhaps a fresh chilli pepper, and some zest from whatever citrus fruit I have laying about, great idea! Likely grapefruit as I always buy them because I love them but hardly ever eat them because thery're difficult to dose for.
As for sweetener, I think I'll stick to the sugar, A couple of tablespoons on a kilo of batter will be less carbs than the carrots. I'm not much into sweet stuff, even before diabetes a bag of sugar lasted more than a year and I think my current bag is over 4 years old. Would be a waste to buy a sweetener to replace an almost non-existent amount of sugar in my life :p

Reactions: Chook and Annb

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now, I realise I should know this by now, but at two hours after a meal should BG be back to where it was? Or is this where its not supposed to be more than two points up?
BG before dinner was 5.4
two hours later 5.6

Rule of thumb, no more than 2 points up. Really depends on what you’ve eaten how long it will take to rise to its maximum and then get back down again. At those levels you’d be good riding along all day.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Strawberries and Greek yoghurt for breakfast - a few minutes ago because I have to go out shortly.

I'll have some more of the sausage casserole later today, so it'll be an easy cooking day. Should, therefore, manage to find time (between some obligatory phone calls) to make mayonnaise.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all

Breakfast: omelette with carb free syrup (lemon sherbet flavour)
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: deconstructed scotch eggs (yesterday's leftover veggie sausages) with cold boiled eggs, grated cheese and lettuce, tomato, cucumber salad, probably with some mayo

Its the last day of Mr C's working week (he works Sunday to Thursday) so I'll be having a glass or two of red wine this evening

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Not sure when I last visited but its been a few days I think. @Chook sorry you’re out of sorts again and what a horrible accident your neighbour had. Good job Mr Zchook and you were able to help. @Annb sorry to hear your brother has Covid especially after being so careful. Hope its mild. i can only remember back to yesterday re what I ate,
Breakfast was usual Hilo toast, thick butter, lots of tea.
Lunch was two types cheese and coleslaw.
Supper was chicken, chorizo, red pepper, tomato and paprika with wilted spinach stirred in. Mr PM has pasta.
Today breakfast was the same.
Lunch was a bit of an event: my first lettuce and radishes from outside With egg mayo three cherry toms and cucumber.
Supper will be giant cod fishfingers and broccoli.
Nearly the weekend so might have a snifter of gin & soda.

@SlimLizzy hug for the concern re Mr Slim at Weston. Read about the outbreak and wondered if it was caused by crowds at the beach. Everyone needs to hold their nerve still. Hopefully Mr Slim will be ok, its wonderful what you are both doing.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Chook I’m trying to imagine what lemon sherbet omelette might taste like. I love eggs and lemon sherbets used to be one of my favourite sweets, but I can’t imagine them together!

Bit of an odd day food wise, but BG has finally been a bit more sensible.

Very hungry early on (up before 4am today as woke early) so ate some cheese as an early breakfast. Followed up mid-morning with some whipped cream - succumbed to buying a pot yesterday evening and finished it up today.

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs. Yum!

Large Morrison’s delivery due tomorrow- hopefully not too many missing or substituted items.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evening all.

@Chook I’m trying to imagine what lemon sherbet omelette might taste like. I love eggs and lemon sherbets used to be one of my favourite sweets, but I can’t imagine them together!

Bit of an odd day food wise, but BG has finally been a bit more sensible.

Very hungry early on (up before 4am today as woke early) so ate some cheese as an early breakfast. Followed up mid-morning with some whipped cream - succumbed to buying a pot yesterday evening and finished it up today.

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs. Yum!

Large Morrison’s delivery due tomorrow- hopefully not too many missing or substituted items.

It says lemon sherbet on the label but I couldn't taste sherbet - just the lemon. Before TKMaxx shut down i used to get an amazing elderflower and lemon sugar free syrup there - this one came from eBay and, while okay, isn't a patch on the one with elderflower. Hopefully TK Maxx will open again soon.

Its my Asda delivery tomorrow, i wonder what they'll send in place of bean sprouts this time - its been different every week.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w what a lovely surprise to see you here today. I can imagine that virtual teaching must get really tedious, glad to hear you have a bit more freedom now though.
Today I had black coffee until around 1 pm ( finally saw a 4 on my meter )then a salad of leftover stuff in the fridge: Lettuce, celery, last spoonful mayo, 1/2 avocado 1 Hb egg and 1/2 slice ham. 1DGF strawberry and cream blondie.
Dinner - was pleased to find a meal which was low carb for me, low FODMAP for daughter, vegetarian for daughter’s partner - https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/crispy-marinated-tofu with some stir fried veg. It was so disappointing - completely flavourless in spite of 24hrs marinating in ginger, sesame oil, cayenne and soy sauce. Humph!
Mr C didn’t fancy it so had pork leftover from yesterday. I’m still hungry so having some cheese and a glass of red to drown my sorrows. Might be easier if we all just made our own meals.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my sausage casserole around lunchtime because I was hungry so am having another meal today - I've been making steak, kidney and mushroom filling for NOT pies ready for the freezer. So I might use one of those - currently making savoury crumble topping with flax seed, hazelnuts and waterchestnut flour.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ziggy_w what a lovely surprise to see you here today. I can imagine that virtual teaching must get really tedious, glad to hear you have a bit more freedom now though.
Today I had black coffee until around 1 pm ( finally saw a 4 on my meter )then a salad of leftover stuff in the fridge: Lettuce, celery, last spoonful mayo, 1/2 avocado 1 Hb egg and 1/2 slice ham. 1DGF strawberry and cream blondie.
Dinner - was pleased to find a meal which was low carb for me, low FODMAP for daughter, vegetarian for daughter’s partner - https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/crispy-marinated-tofu with some stir fried veg. It was so disappointing - completely flavourless in spite of 24hrs marinating in ginger, sesame oil, cayenne and soy sauce. Humph!
Mr C didn’t fancy it so had pork leftover from yesterday. I’m still hungry so having some cheese and a glass of red to drown my sorrows. Might be easier if we all just made our own meals.

Yes, that's EXACTLY how I feel about tofu - no flavour and, no matter what recipe I try, I can't make it crispy!!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3