Type 1 Corona and isolating from Husband

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Type 1 and I am due to go on the kidney/pancreas transplant list, The issue I have is my Husband has been home while off work but now he has gone back to work and is staying at an apartment away from me to be safe, no one knows how long this is going to carry on for and also the risk of me going low in the night is more than the risk of Corona? I want him home but he says he would never forgive himself if I caught it off him. What are you doing to stay safe and what would you recommend to us?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @walshdon , this sounds like a pretty hard situation for the both of you, yuck.
I think isolating from your husband because of corona is pretty wise, as being on a transplant list suggests you're in a very vulnerable group.
Would it be possible to get a CGM with alarms if you regularly experience hypo's you can't deal with yourself? If that's not possible, have you looked into the Freestyle Libre with a Miaomiao addition?

I hope you'll find a way that works for the both of you!

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a tough situation and rubbish that you're having to make these choices :(
Is your husband at a high risk of being exposed to coronavirus? Is he coming into contact with lots of people in his job?
Whilst not ideal, could he sleep elsewhere in your home and keep a distance from you, unless you need his assistance in the night?
I hope this isn't too personal, but do you need his assistance with night time hypos as you don't wake up? Or do you need help treating the hypo?

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My husband is working around people but not in a high risk way, we do have a spare bedroom and separate bathrooms so could be apart, I don't need his assistance I do have hypo awareness at around 2.5 and use the freestyle libre, it is just the reassurance that he is here if I went too low which has only ever happened once in 15 yrs. I just really want to get back to normal but not if it risks me being seriously ill.