Why so high?

JenJen9

For the past two weeks my levels have been stuck in the high teens to low 20’s - i am a T1 diabetic

I have given myself more insulin, watched what i have eaten and even changed insulin pens. Given myself more insulin then needed to bring it down but it still remains high.

Does anyone know why my readings are so high?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Could you be coming down with something? High levels for no reason can often be due to the body fighting something.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is the new insulin pen from the same batch? Have you checked your fridge temperature?
Could it be stress? Hormones? The weather? Weight changed? Anything else changed?

JenJen9

Is the new insulin pen from the same batch? Have you checked your fridge temperature?
Could it be stress? Hormones? The weather? Weight changed? Anything else changed?

New pack of pens, fridge same temp as always. I was wondering if the hot weather makes a difference or maybe it is stress. I don’t know to be honest.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could well be the weather, I think a lot of people have increased insulin absorption when it's hot so have hypos (I think there was a thread the other day asking who else had had a hypo where it was hot) but I've never found that, and when it's particularly warm, I tend to run high

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Amongst all the other reasons suggested, I run higher when I'm not as active as usual. My job in education is pretty active and it's been hard to keep to the usual levels of activity since mid-March and being home most of that time. The two weeks I was least active, I was doubling my fast-acting ratios and adding 50% to basal. Also aware personally that I have put on a little weight with being less active and that could also be why my basal levels have remained higher whilst I've been able to edge down the fast-acting as I'm trying to get back to my usual levels of activity even though I'm still home, not at work.