Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all. Another sunny day, promising to be hot again.
Yes, @Becca, I know fear is stultifying, and no, I’ve not succumbed to unreasoning fear. Many of the pavements on the route to the pharmacy are just 3 feet wide, and by a narrow roadway, so as a ‘vulnerable’ 70 year old I’m planning the best way to go. We’ve probably had far more cases here than where you live. I like your idea of a walk round a more congested area, and I think I know just where that will be. Watch this space.
Now which friend shall I ask to join me for it? Happy times ahead.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon, all!

100th-day de-motivation all vanished now and normal service resumed. I have a suspicion that the thought of tackling the big shop is definitely responsible for some feeling of "Argh, I don't want to go out there" and combining it with a favourite half-term activity not being possible was mostly what yesterday was all about along with more uncertainty about returning to work. There's new guidance out yet again - and the promised information about who is or is not on which rota had been delayed again, with many profuse apologies. I really do hate checking work e-mails right now! Plus, we have no idea which parents/carers want to send their charges back.... and so it all goes round and round.

Never mind, today is a new day in the round of Life as Currently Lived, the Big Shop is done, the step count is back up to normal, blood sugars slightly sulking after yesterday but coming back into line, and if I really do end up mostly at home until September (which is looking increasingly likely) I may well be tackling the painting and decorating. I enjoy it when I have time - but had held off because I didn't want to get started, then hauled back into work.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning (well not quite :p) groundhog day filling and sanding, the flea or whatever miscreant did it bites are itching but the skin's not half as red, 9 separate bites, 9, nine, and if I cycle later my trackie bottoms will be tucked in my socks so they will as I'm not having this nonsense again :)

Bloods are good, rose to 8.3 but have had a jab for lunch so waiting it down for ten minutes, I've half a marked down Cornish brie that needs fitting between a couple of slices of wholemeal and eating and if it works I'll cycle instead of correcting later :)

Enjoy the sunshine :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds yummy @kev-w, and with cycling too it’ll be two ways to flatten the curve.
Just watered the patch, a big patch, made bare by the falling tree. Well, it seems a big patch when viewed within the confines of the garden. Heavy clay. Now will I be able to persuade husband to share the digging it over? Hmmmm Hoping to plant more veg there.
Happy painting @Japes. I suspect that the planning for reopening schools is fraught with ifs and buts.
Had a photo of my Greek friends happily sitting in the sun, swimming, and sooooo wish I was there with them! It’s good to see them, even if it’s just a photo.

Reactions: Marie 2 and kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all!

Glorious day here again. Slightly amazed I was acknowledged as existing by almost all the gang of elderly neighbours and their carers who have had no sense of lockdown or social distancing for weeks and host daily gatherings on their gardens. I do understand why they haven't been getting it, but as I've been pretty strict about keeping away from other people, it's kind of involved a rapid exit from my garden path to keep a more than two metres distance from the gang. Normally I smile if they stare silently in my direction (which they always do) but otherwise keep going. Yesterday, for the first time since most of them moved into their flats, (there's been almost 100% turnover of tenants in the five or so years since I've lived here), I had returned smiles and "You OK?s" It confused me!! Especially as all of them had spurned any friendliness on my part as they moved in!!

I was also confused by an odd feeling before lunch. A 3.7! I'd forgotten about that feeling, not having had a hypo since lockdown began - lots of 4s, but no 3s or 2s. I'd even had to do a check on my unused stockpiled hypo supplies (for Dextro tablets and some Full Fat Coke cans were the only things I made sure to get on every shopping trip pre-lockdown.) for Best Before dates as I'd had a vague memory of May 2020 being the dates on some packets. I think it's actually the Best Before date on any supplies we may have for Young Vampire, who couldn't be persuaded to take those supplies home when we closed down. I know I bought my supplies home, as I've still got the labels on the two cans of Full Fat Coke I keep in the cupboard.

I have succumbed to a hitherto strongly resisted strategy to take my mind off the monotony of my current walking routes. I dislike being out and about with earphones in, as I prefer to be aware of my surroundings, I don't like the feeling of anything in my ears, but having checked I can still hear what's going on around as well as the music I'm listening to, I've been listening to Radio 3 (my preferred kind of music anyway, minimal news bulletins, and no adverts) as I wander.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon, spiked a little overnight but to 14mmol, not the 20.1 my libre/xdrip combo came out with, in fact the libre sensor will be rung in unless it settles :banghead: as it had me hypo most of yesterday when the lowest blood test was 4.1 :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Busy waiting for the postie as my 'xaphoon' should arrive today complete with a reed in the tenor mouthpiece so I shortly hope to be making new noiseso_O and this evening hope to get out on a ride with a couple of socially distanced mates on a new (to me) trail riding a disused railway line to a place called Stamford Bridge, unless they cancel so I'm 'hanging loose' on meal planning as I can do without insulin conflicting with exercise if we do ride...

And I've plenty of sanding to do in the meantime :p

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Busy waiting for the postie as my 'xaphoon' should arrive today complete with a reed in the tenor mouthpiece so I shortly hope to be making new noiseso_O

Ooo... the clarinet player in me is interested. My poor clarinet, however, needs three crucial new pads so whilst I had great plans for liberating it during this time, they've never come to fruition.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooo... the clarinet player in me is interested. My poor clarinet, however, needs three crucial new pads so whilst I had great plans for liberating it during this time, they've never come to fruition.

Ah, these are marketed as mini pocket sax's, and the guitarist in me hasn't got a clue, recorder lessons being 45 years ago, a nosy on YouTube shows a lass playing 'Baker Street' on one and it sounds good without too many finger movements over the holes, but whether 'money see monkey do' will work for learning's another thing :p

I'm in no shape or form a musician in any shape or form :) :)

Reactions: Japes

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my second phone call since lockdown from GP surgery. Am I fit and well, am I getting food and medication ok. Am I on my own or living with someone and is that person fit and well. Is there any help I need. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you do. Brilliant! Cannot fault them.
In not so good news Leeds has highest incidence in the country of people shielding according to news. The West Yorkshire are generally is high. Due to mining in its history apparently.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my second phone call since lockdown from GP surgery. Am I fit and well, am I getting food and medication ok. Am I on my own or living with someone and is that person fit and well. Is there any help I need. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you do. Brilliant! Cannot fault them.
In not so good news Leeds has highest incidence in the country of people shielding according to news. The West Yorkshire are generally is high. Due to mining in its history apparently.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday was nuts. DP had made my BG levels shoot up (I thought). I didn't eat and went snorkeling and my BG's shot up afterwards and I figured maybe I worked harder at snorkeling. It took me until night to figure out I had a bad pod when my Bg's skyrocketed again. Solved, but all of yesterday I felt ucky and I'm sure I wasn't getting full use of all that insulin I took. The after snorkeling was just strange and I should have figured it out then. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh, the good and the bad @Becca. Great to hear you’ve got a good GP, but tears for all the people in Leeds.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had an interesting day today. A visit to older daughter this morning showed just how long it’s been since lockdown began. She and our son-out-law have both worked from home except for the times older daughter’s been scheduled to teach the children of key workers, and they’ve at last had more time. It just shows how much of their lives is spent on the road to and from work! Their garden’s been transformed by clearing, and planting grass on one side of it, almost doubling lawn and the amount of space that meets the eye. It’s suddenly lighter. I love a wilderness of planting, but what they’ve done for the elbow room is great. It was like visiting a new place. They’d been planning to do this ever since they moved in.
It was wonderful to be able to go and see them, even though we were socially distanced. That’s two meetings now, it feels like riches!
I went to the pharmacy this afternoon too. I know you’ve all been out and about, some of you working on the frontline, many of you shopping; the friend I met this afternoon for a socially distanced tea (my own contigo) and chat, agreed that the precautions we’ve been taking really make us feel our age.
Oh to have our old lives back again, but I’ll take today as a fantastic gift.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any news of @MeiChanski? I hope you’re getting the better of the virus Mei, hang in there! Sending you Beat It! hugs.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all, had a call with my DSN today, going to get some dummy Omnipods to try as my current pump is now out of warranty and it’s time to change. BGs have been all over the place in the hot weather, tons of hypos, I’m jealous @Japes you only have one every few months, I get at least one every day I think. But if I take less insulin I’m easily in double figures *sigh*

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any news of @MeiChanski? I hope you’re getting the better of the virus Mei, hang in there! Sending you Beat It! hugs.

I must admit, the reason I popped in here this morning was wondering if anyone has heard from @MeiChanski in the last week or so.

Mai - I hope things are feeling a bit more comfortable for you both.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all, had a call with my DSN today, going to get some dummy Omnipods to try as my current pump is now out of warranty and it’s time to change. BGs have been all over the place in the hot weather, tons of hypos, I’m jealous @Japes you only have one every few months, I get at least one every day I think. But if I take less insulin I’m easily in double figures *sigh*

It's only in lockdown I have had no hypos for 10 weeks until yesterday. I've had more double figures than usual in this time, so not looking forwards to the nurses at they remembering they were going to call me back in for an early Hba1c because I just edged over a line last time to trigger it. Plus, my regular hospital appointments are all suspended unless there's an emergency.

Normally I reckon on 3 or 4 hypos, quickly sorted ones, a week. Usually, on the way home from work - there's a spot known to me as Hypo Central and I'm almost conditioned to check there even if I was absolutely fine when I checked 1/2 hour previously. I occasionally wonder if somehow my body knows there's someone I trust who lives close to that point because the other regular point on the way home is also very close to someone else I trust.