32 year old male newly diagnosed type 1

Shaun*

Hey folks, as stated newly diagnosed 2 days ago with type 1. Still trying to wrap my head around it as was still in shock when being explained to me in hospital. I’m pretty strong willed and once I get into the swing of things I’m sure I will do just fine but it’s just the start..... bit overwhelming so any advice welcome. I am on Tresiba for daily injection and Fiasp for meals.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hey folks, as stated newly diagnosed 2 days ago with type 1. Still trying to wrap my head around it as was still in shock when being explained to me in hospital. I’m pretty strong willed and once I get into the swing of things I’m sure I will do just fine but it’s just the start..... bit overwhelming so any advice welcome. I am on Tresiba for daily injection and Fiasp for meals.

Welcome to the forums my friend.

There's more "advice" than any normal person can assimilate. Much better if you ask specific questions.

Have a good read around the forums, good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Shaun and a big welcome to the forum, so sorry that you are here, there is a lot to take in and it can be overwhelming at first, so just take baby steps and it will get easier in time. If there is anything you would like to ask, someone would normally be along with support and helpful advice.
ps I am on Tresiba too.
Take care :)

Shaun*

Thank you for the welcome(s). I do have one question already as don’t speak to dietitian till 2moro through video call, I have been eating 3 meals a day (some carbs, mostly protein) but I’m still hungry any advice on that matter? Should I eat more protein to fill me up?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Shaun*, welcome.
What sort of meals were you eating before diagnosis? Are you eating the same kind of quantities as you were before?
Bertie is a good course for understanding some of the basics of diabetes, I just did it last year and it helped me to understand some stuff and I've been diabetic 22 years https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ it can be overwhelming trying to understand everything about diabetes but you've found this forum so you're off to a good start :)

Shaun*

Yeah still eating pretty much same as portions as before although food sorts have changed slightly.

Thanks I will have a look

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome and this is a great place for advice, getting things off your chest and sharing any thoughts you have. I was told type 1 about 3 months ago, and I got home and spent two days bursting into tears, so it sounds like you aware handling it pretty well! It’s a big deal! As it’s not just for today or a few weeks, it’s every day going forward from now. I miss just eating and my body doing its magic without a second thought, now every meal is what level am I now, what will I eat, how many carbs and what insulin should I take? I had a brilliant bit of advice which was take each day at a time, each one is a new one with diabetes.
All we can do is try our best to keep our numbers in range and stay well. (Which does take a fair bit of effort I think!)
Within a few days you will already become used to injections. I hope you finding it ok and getting support from diabetes nurses or consultant? Even if just by email or phone?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for the welcome(s). I do have one question already as don’t speak to dietitian till 2moro through video call, I have been eating 3 meals a day (some carbs, mostly protein) but I’m still hungry any advice on that matter? Should I eat more protein to fill me up?

Many T1's seem to cope with a normal (non diabetic) diet using good insulin management. To keep my own blood sugars under control, I have found it easier to reduce my carbs, although it wasn't until I started carb counting that I realised I wasn't eating anything like as much as the recommended daily amount (250g) anyway.

So there's a bit of a learning curve ahead. You might be lucky and find you can manage by the text book guidance, you might not.Only through testing of your blood glucose before and after eating, will you find out what works for you. And that's the awkward bit, because we're all different and in many ways, your diabetes is unique to you.

Participation in a forum like this one, can give you a 'leg up,' as I found out myself a few years back.

Good luck with the video call to the dietician. Would be interested to know how it goes.

Reactions: Rose22

Shaun*

Yeah just trying to take it in my stride although I know it will change my life now. We have just had a baby 5 weeks ago so no time to dwell when have him and the other 2 boys (age 2 and 6) to look after really, maybe it hasn’t hit me yet. But I’m coping ok with the injections (for a person that wasn’t keen on needles) I’m generally a healthy eater anyways (have my moments where slip up) like you say quiet a bit of work to keep on top of levels etc but I’m hoping once I’m used to a routine my mind won’t be 100mph wondering if I’m “doing it right”. Glad I joined the group for advice and chat with people in the same boat though as it’s good to talk, especially when it’s so much of a change... so sudden.

I shall let you know how it goes after video call today with dietician

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Shaun*

I totally get how over whelming it is, I was diagnosed over 9 years ago now and felt exactly the same, it will get a lot easier in time and yes you will have hiccups along the way, we all do, but as others have said one day at a time and go easy on yourself, talk to those around you about how your feeling too as it’s vital to talk.

I personally found knowledge vital when I was diagnosed so a good book to help you on your way is ‘Think like a pancreas’- hope today goes well.

Reactions: JMoli

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome! Great insulin and good tech for us diabetics and my theory is that because we know of our condition we tend to take better care of ourselves. That said it can be tricky so good to know you are here and can ask questions or have a rant when needed...

MattH892

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shaun* Welcome mate! I'm 27 and got diagnosed with T1 nearly a year ago now. Any questions feel free to fire over a message, you'll find it's a big change but get in to the swing of things quick enough! I've found that the majority of questions I've had, someone has asked it on here before so really useful :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. In general you need to keep the carbs down and have fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. As you reduce the carbs if needed to control your weight you may need to adjust, possibly reduce, your insulin but use the meter to guide you and avoid hypos. BTW be careful with the dietician as many haven't a clue so if he/she suggests having low-fat food etc and carbs with every meal then you know you are wasting your time.

Shaun*

Thanks everyone I’m sure I will have plenty of questions to keep you all on your toes Yeah just trying to find my balance with the insulin at the moment. Sugar levels always in the teens at the moment current (17.2) I have mostly been avoiding carbs just having protein and fats with a bit of carbs added here and there. The hospital dietician gave me an app (carbs and Cals) to download I’ve been using it to calculate how much carbs/units to administer on a 20/1 ratio. One question actually... when I’m eating protein products ie steak/eggs does that mean I don’t have to use the insulin or should I still be using some before the meal after checking sugar levels to adjust?....Just spoke to nurse and have to adjust my tresiba by 2 units to cover my morning highs see how that goes.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks everyone I’m sure I will have plenty of questions to keep you all on your toes The hospital dietician gave me an app (carbs and Cals) to download I’ve been using it to calculate how much carbs/units to administer on a 20/1 ratio. One question actually... when I’m eating protein products ie steak/eggs does that mean I don’t have to use the insulin or should I still be using some before the meal after checking sugar levels to adjust?....Just spoke to nurse and have to adjust my tresiba by 2 units to cover my morning highs see how that goes.

Bring your blood sugars down slowly, there is evidence that lowering it too rapidly can be harmful to eyesight.

On the protein issue, I wouldn't worry about too much right now. Just keep accurate records of what you eat and how much insulin you take. After a few weeks you will start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Newly diagnosed T1's often experience something called the honeymoon phase. This is where your pancreas starts to produce a little insulin again. In conjunction with your injected insulin, it makes glucose management more difficult so be patient and wait for everything to settle down.

A lot of us here use or have used carbs and cals, you will soon be able to look at a plate of food and know the carb content without any assistance. If any of us ever get the chance to go to a restaurant ever again, you can sometimes get nutrition info from their website, especially larger chains like Maccy D and Wagamama etc.