Diabetes’ influence on my long term good healthier

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We hear so much about the negative influences on our lives because of diabetes and I have had a few.
However I want to offer my personal experience of diabetes having a positive influence on me.
Having had Type 1 for 74 years now, I often reflect on how my life could have been much worse without it.
During my adolescent years I really was a heavy drinker and enjoyed the take-a-way lifestyle which resulted in increased weight decrease in sporting interests. Probably because I was losing my skill and previous ability levels.
However my doctors warnings about long term problems brought me back to reality.
I have since played sport all my life, including football till I was 51, marathon running and cycling etc. This love of sport has only been possible by virtue of good diabetes control. The two things, in my lifetime has, I believe, allowed me to get to 74 and still enjoying a good healthy lifestyle.
I have had my diabetes issues and recently underwent a vascular bypass on my left leg, but once Covid/19 is out of the way I will be taking up Pilates business again and helping people overcome their posture issues etc and keep fit.
Just a thought from myself about how I feel about my diabetes and the potential dread of what the alternative lifestyle might have been.
Cheers Ray B

Reactions: Buzzer81

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We hear so much about the negative influences on our lives because of diabetes and I have had a few.
However I want to offer my personal experience of diabetes having a positive influence on me.
Having had Type 1 for 74 years now, I often reflect on how my life could have been much worse without it.
During my adolescent years I really was a heavy drinker and enjoyed the take-a-way lifestyle which resulted in increased weight decrease in sporting interests. Probably because I was losing my skill and previous ability levels.
However my doctors warnings about long term problems brought me back to reality.
I have since played sport all my life, including football till I was 51, marathon running and cycling etc. This love of sport has only been possible by virtue of good diabetes control. The two things, in my lifetime has, I believe, allowed me to get to 74 and still enjoying a good healthy lifestyle.
I have had my diabetes issues and recently underwent a vascular bypass on my left leg, but once Covid/19 is out of the way I will be taking up Pilates business again and helping people overcome their posture issues etc and keep fit.
Just a thought from myself about how I feel about my diabetes and the potential dread of what the alternative lifestyle might have been.
Cheers Ray B

P.S. what I failed to say was the competitive instincts I developed where I wanted to prove to my self and everyone else that having diabetes wasn’t going to stop me being as good as or (not very often) better than others in whatever sport we were involved in.
Thanks
Ray B

Buzzer81

Thanks Ray, enjoyed reading that and it’s a good point. That’s a positive way to look at it and I hope I can be as athletic as you clearly are! Pilates is a thought, but is something I have never tried. I’m rather inflexible!! Cheers mate, Jon

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Buzzer, pilates sounds just what you need. Great for strength and posture and increased flexibility

Buzzer81

Hi Buzzer, pilates sounds just what you need. Great for strength and posture and increased flexibility

I think I will look into it and try it as I hear many good things and I definitely think it can benefit me. I work in a rather chair bound job and have terrible posture so I need to start making more positive decisions. Cheers Ray