Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, busy couple of days and computer playing up. Planning some gardening-in-the-shade today. Have caught up with what I missed; @Fairygodmother before you go to the effort of digging your new veg plot have a look at this: https://charlesdowding.co.uk/ I live near him and he's a bit famous in the veg growing world. He really doesn't dig yet produces the most amazing stuff in seemingly a very short time. Has lots of info on his website & youtube and has columns in mags & newpapers. During the lockdown he's been providing the village with salad and stuff.

Hope you all have a good day whatever you're doing, and keep well.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I really like the no dig method @hh1 and constantly battle to keep husband away from the dedicated veg plot. I daren’t turn my back! The bit of ground in question though is a patch of heavy clay that’s been previously given to lovely lovely comfrey - great for smelly fertiliser, and pretty flowers. It’s been compacted, really needs a big load of seaweed etc, and the ivy that’s crept in over the last three years needs removing, hence the forking over first. I’m hoping to let it be after that.
The rest of the garden has been a playground for convulvulous and brambles while my knee was bad.
Very pleased today that there were lots of seedlings from last year’s tomatoes under the staging, and I removed the staging today, so now they’ve got the space to themselves.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s been one of ‘those’ days today; apart from the above I’ve spent far too long munching stuff and getting bloods to rise again. The joy! And GP nextdoor neighbour didn’t approve of the masked trip to the pharmacy yesterday. Oh well, she’s seen all the sickly oldies come through the surgery door.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all (at least I think it’s morning...) - up in the night, first to treat a hypo, then to settle the baby, now back up again feeding...

Feel a bit of a zombie, but on a 6.2 so at least that’s ok!

Have a good day all, hope Mei is feeling better x

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning :) a little special this morning waking with a 2.6 blood, first night without a transmitter on the libre in 6 months too and to add insult to injury must have slept funny as I've had some pins and needles in my hand and shoulder.

The joys :banghead::)

Sanding filling and a little cycling for me, and making noises on my new mini sax, sounds A ok when it sounds right but seems to have a habit of screeching like a duck whistle but it reads that that's my faulty embouchure as I've never tried a reed instrument (aye, I Googled it too :p ) but I'm a boy with a new toy so it's all good :)

Enjoy the sunshine!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Mmmmm, A pie place made me a mango pie today with no sugar! Stuffed with mango's and that's all! It's delicious, of course I didn't wait quite long enough for my insulin to start working as a prebolus, so I am paying with a little higher numbers than I'm used to, but it was worth every bite!

PS Not the whole pie, I just had a slice, I'm resisting!!!

Reactions: hh1 and kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh my, mango pie @Marie 2, no doubt not one made with mangos that have suffered the cell structure wrecking effects of shipping. Just a whole, fresh, ripe mango straight from the tree would be all I need, and some blue sparkling sea to sit by while I eat it. My grandfather worked In the tropics for a while - he said a mango should always be eaten in the bath. So much juice. Our mango tree was always raided by little boys, and one squealing wild little girl, same with the guava. Luckily they weren’t so fond of pawpaw.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s a shame so much baby time passes in the zombie state @ArtemisBow, I remember it well. The 6.2 is a triumph in a broken sleep time!
I’ve reduced basal again, especially after yesterday’s debacle. Even so, one night hypo corrected, and still woke to a 3.8. I’ll ride with the new doses for a day or so and hope the j-babes don’t all get glued together in the sun. Social distancing for j-babes?

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You’ll get there @kev-w, mini sax will come good. I suspect the neighbours think it’s another diy tool you’ve got.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve been thinking about Charles Dowding @hh1, wondering if there’s any chance things will be better by September. Always wanted to go to the Isle of Scilly

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother I am trying to figure out if I want to plant a mango. They get pretty big and I still want an avocado and they get big too.
A difficult one! I’d want both - and to grow from the seed of a delicious one. Can you get nearly mature trees where you are? If I remember rightly they take a while to get to the fruiting stage. Our Greek friends have grown avocados from the pit/stone/seed but the oldest, at six years since years it sprouted, still isn’t mature enough.
A friend from West African days had a wonderful avocado just by her front door, it had the biggest, creamiest, tastiest fruit I’ve ever eaten. Even in the heat of Kaduna it liked the reflected heat of the front wall.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I want a Pomegranite too @Marie 2. They’re quite small, but do they grow in your climate? Pretty flowers and fruit full of myths, and an ingredient of delicious Middle Eastern food.
Apparently some have been bred for cooler temperate zones too, so maybe one day . . .

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
...and making noises on my new mini sax, sounds A ok when it sounds right but seems to have a habit of screeching like a duck whistle but it reads that that's my faulty embouchure as I've never tried a reed instrument (aye, I Googled it too :p ) but I'm a boy with a new toy so it's all good :)

Enjoy the sunshine!

Single reed player nerd moment alert. What kind of reed did it come with? That can be as much of a problem as embouchure. But, to be fair, reeds can randomly screech even when everything else is fine. Have fun!

Reactions: kev-w

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all, out early with Mattie to avoid the heat, got back and cut half my grass before I got sunned off (is there such a thing? Think there is now ;)). Am avoiding the heat by doing some much-overdue housework. Pah. Hope you're all having a better day than that!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been thinking about Charles Dowding @hh1, wondering if there’s any chance things will be better by September. Always wanted to go to the Isle of Scilly
Am I missing something? Isles of Scilly?

And yes, Mei hasn't been on here since May 19, which is worrying.

I know nothing about wind instruments @kev-w, have fun with it!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all! I'm getting back into the swing of my usual amounts of walking and can socially distance best if it's mostly early morning. Plus, it gets me back into the routine for returning to work if that is required of me. I'm also working myself up to a second shorter post-prandial evening walk again but that's currently a bit trickier on the avoiding other people front!

Reactions: hh1

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother I love pomegranates. I had a pomegranate before I moved that gave 100's of pomegranates, so I did plant one here. I have seen them around so I know they grow but mine doesn't seem to be thriving like so much else does. Maybe it's too wet right here for a pomegranate. Or this pomegranate is being stubborn.

I have been trying to find a pure Haas Avocado, those are my favorites. We have over 200 varieties of avocados here and they all have blended with each other. So the pure one is the catch and they don't want to ship it either. I might try to sprout one or settle for a different one. I do absolutely love avocados!