Libre users do you use test strips aswell ?

buddyxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you only use libre scensors ? or testing strips at meal times ? or only testing strips if you feel unwell with finger pricking ?
Can you only use Libre scensors is it safe ? thanks in advance for help

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You do need to use test strips if its shows below 5, as it is known to be inaccurate below 5.
Also if you don't think you feel like the number it shows as it can be inaccurate.
I tend to check every day or two at least once to make sure its at least still fairly close to what the glucose meter shows.
In the UK if driving you are required to have a blood glucose test meter with you anyways to test if it shows below 5

Reactions: Rob.pratt

buddyxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You do need to use test strips if its shows below 5, as it is known to be inaccurate below 5.
Also if you don't think you feel like the number it shows as it can be inaccurate.
I tend to check every day or two at least once to make sure its at least still fairly close to what the glucose meter shows.
In the UK if driving you are required to have a blood glucose test meter with you anyways to test if it shows below 5
ty for info I thought I had still had to finger prick before meals to accurate reading for injecting insulin ?? but got told by diabetic nurse no only if feeling unwell basically so thought I would check on here ty

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
ty for info I thought I had still had to finger prick before meals to accurate reading for injecting insulin ?? but got told by diabetic nurse no only if feeling unwell basically so thought I would check on here ty

The libre works very well for some people, not so well for others. If I were you I'd test occasionally to check that it's working for you (some sensors can be off) - if you do a fingerprick test then check the libre 15 minutes later to compare.... Also, some people find that the sensors can be inaccurate for the first 24 hours....

buddyxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The libre works very well for some people, not so well for others. If I were you I'd test occasionally to check that it's working for you (some sensors can be off) - if you do a fingerprick test then check the libre 15 minutes later to compare.... Also, some people find that the sensors can be inaccurate for the first 24 hours....
ty for info very helpful

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you only use libre scensors ? or testing strips at meal times ? or only testing strips if you feel unwell with finger pricking ?
Can you only use Libre scensors is it safe ? thanks in advance for help

Hi,

I use the liber with a Bluetooth NFC scanner sending reading to my phone on a third party app every 5mins..
I can calibrate the sensor interpretetations to my meter.
I would also look at the Libre reading on the graph 15/20mins prior regarding a meter reading, just to be sure.

On the whole, the system works for me. But you should back up any errant readings & certainly lows using the meter.
From personal experince, the meter shows recovery from lows a little quicker than the sensor does.

Reactions: porl69

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, just in relation to this specific query, I have recently gone onto the libre and was told emphatically that I should be using it INSTEAD of finger pricks whether for dosing before a meal or whenever. That is why they now only give me 50 tests strips a month in case I need to manually do a test if my levels are low or high or not what I think the libre is telling me. I was a bit apprehensive about this because I am usually around the 4s and 5s so I'm not sure of the accuracy at all times, it often shows well below 4. Because of the time lag I am also wary about using it prior to meals to check how much insulin I am going to need but the Diabetes Nurse said that's perfectly fine. Having said all that, I like it!!!! x

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I would double check every now and then to ensure the libre is accurate.. also if you are in a situation where is shows very high or low double check before making any treatment decisions

It may show you to be say 3.2 you think you have to eat but you do a blood test find you are 5.1 and don’t need to.. if you eat you then go high

Sensors also fail from time to time

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my test strips halved when I started on the Libre. That half is still 100 I do not order that amount every month. And some months not at all. I am lucky enough to have good accuracy and read myself pretty well, as regards hypos particularly. I tend to test more on the first and last day of the Libre life. The first to ensure accuracy and the last as it’s accuracy tails off. Most days I don’t test at all and just go with the Libre. I scan a lot throughout the day so take a close watch on the trends. My HBA1C is 46 and has gone down one mmol each year of Libre use over the blood testing only. So I know where my faith lies. But that is a personal decision right for me.

Reactions: kev-w

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just started using a libre this week and have been doing 2-3 blood tests a day, just to check. My GP hasn't changed the amount of test strips I can get each month, but obviously I won't need as many as before. As yet I haven't had any guidance from the hospital on testing as my libre training was cancelled :nailbiting:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would double check every now and then to ensure the libre is accurate.. also if you are in a situation where is shows very high or low double check before making any treatment decisions

It may show you to be say 3.2 you think you have to eat but you do a blood test find you are 5.1 and don’t need to.. if you eat you then go high

Sensors also fail from time to time

Definitely agree with your comment, I do wonder though what a Diabetes Nurse/Consultant would make of the libre data when they are checking it, I have no doubt they would see a 'low' with nothing noted in the food/carbs part and give you a ticking off! That's the only negative with the libre, having to offer it up for scrutiny in certain circumstances. I have now asked for the test strips that go with the libre reader (taken off me and replaced with a cheaper monitor months ago because at least it will show the proof of a blood test reading perhaps in more serious circs like driving). We know it's better for showing trends than exact readings but it seems to me the Professionals are giving more and more credence to it as the holy grail. x

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I use the liber with a Bluetooth NFC scanner sending reading to my phone on a third party app every 5mins..
I can calibrate the sensor interpretetations to my meter.
I would also look at the Libre reading on the graph 15/20mins prior regarding a meter reading, just to be sure.

On the whole, the system works for me. But you should back up any errant readings & certainly lows using the meter.
From personal experince, the meter shows recovery from lows a little quicker than the sensor does.
Hi

Which app do you use to calibrate the libre? Mine always reads a little high.

Regards

Gav

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Which app do you use to calibrate the libre? Mine always reads a little high.

Regards

Gav

Hi,

Using an Andoid device. I was scanning using a free (add free) app called "Glimp." Which from memory, can be calibrated to the meter.
Now I use Xdrip. On my device it was the more stable using the Bluetooth reader & sender?

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I check with finger prick at least every morning and before bed. Also wen the libre reads below 4 or above 10. So.i still use quite a few strips. !

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use both but only if I feel the reading I’m getting on the Libre is a bit off normally in first 24 hrs. It’s never going to be same as finger prick but it’s good enough inaccuracy under 4 tends to be a slight problem . I think the pros of the Libre far out weigh the cons . I use to find with a finger prick test only it was just a snapshot in time so to speak, whereas the arrows on the Libre do help myself personally as I now know where I am going to be in say 15 mins whereas before I was guessing , this can have an effect on insulin dosage , I don’t tend to try and keep my blood sugars in a strict range mine tend to run between 5 and 8;5 sometimes 9 . So much better than 13 -20 , but what works for me may not work for someone else , as always it individual to the individual .
Stay safe take care

buddyxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all for help and info also order your libre scensors earlier as they are well at my chemist taking a lot longer to be delivered to chemsist thanks again stay safe

Reactions: sleepster

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for help and info also order your libre scensors earlier as they are well at my chemist taking a lot longer to be delivered to chemsist thanks again stay safe
It took a week for mine to come in, I ordered them last week and got them this morning. I had wondered if it was just my pharmacy!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It took a week for mine to come in, I ordered them last week and got them this morning. I had wondered if it was just my pharmacy!
Whereas last week it only took 2 days for mine to come in, they had the prescription on Wednesday and were in on Friday - about the same as normal for me.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whereas last week it only took 2 days for mine to come in, they had the prescription on Wednesday and were in on Friday - about the same as normal for me
Ah, that's interesting. It was my first time getting them and they just said they had to order them in, maybe it was their first time getting them in, it's a small independent pharmacy that opened last year I think. Hmm. I'll just order them early next time and see what happens :)