Exante, Low carb or Keto

melodyuk2020

After 28 years of failed dieting I've been diagnosed type 2 last month. My hba1c was 54 in october and 55 in February.

I lost weight in 2016 on Cambridge. 4 stone in 4 months.... regained all that and more and now have 7 stone at least to lose.... I've tried loads of diets since but cant seem to stick to any of them anymore, even since being told I'm diabetic.

However I'm very scared that im never going to proove myself wrong and lose weight and be happier. I know losing weight will help me with so many symptoms.... exhaustion on mobility & aches & pains mostly.

My brain is left so confused from all the things I've read and all the previous diets I've tried. SW, WW, keto, etc

What is the recommended way for me to lose weight with good results. I've tendency to always give in to cravings and very slow losses like on slimming world make me lose motivation to carry on so trying to avoid that one!

thank you for your help

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was dx I decided to go keto because my number was so high. I did need to lose weight but I was concentrating on getting my numbers back to normal levels. The weight loss was a byproduct.

I thoroughly enjoy this way of eating and have no urge to my old ways.

SW have no way of supporting a diabetic through diet, they are just not qualified.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After 28 years of failed dieting I've been diagnosed type 2 last month. My hba1c was 54 in october and 55 in February.

I lost weight in 2016 on Cambridge. 4 stone in 4 months.... regained all that and more and now have 7 stone at least to lose.... I've tried loads of diets since but cant seem to stick to any of them anymore, even since being told I'm diabetic.

However I'm very scared that im never going to proove myself wrong and lose weight and be happier. I know losing weight will help me with so many symptoms.... exhaustion on mobility & aches & pains mostly.

My brain is left so confused from all the things I've read and all the previous diets I've tried. SW, WW, keto, etc

What is the recommended way for me to lose weight with good results. I've tendency to always give in to cravings and very slow losses like on slimming world make me lose motivation to carry on so trying to avoid that one!

thank you for your help
Hello @melodyuk2020 ,

Couple of things to answer your questions: We can't process carbs. Practically all of them turn to glucose once ingested. We make a whole lot of insulin, but we're insensitive to it, so it doesn't help us burn off the glucose. Instead, the glucose just gets stored in fat cells, exactly where you don't want them. So if you weren't losing weight anymore on SW or WW, that's basically why. Carbs are a problem when you have a metabolic condition like we do, and those diets incorporate them. Which is exactly wrong for us! Far as that goes, keto is a good way to go, if you think you want to try that again. You could also go less rigorous, if keto's not an option, and go for low carb/high fat. (Still low carb, like keto, but not so low you enter ketosis). Thing is, this is a for-life kind of thing, so you'll have to find a diet that suits YOUR needs. Not just the physical ones, but the mental ones too. If a diet makes you miserable, it needs adjusting. As for cravings: carbs are addictive, your body will keep demanding them as long as you put some in... It'll always want more. Give yourself a little time to get past that stage eh. If you feel like eating a whole lot due to cravings (or if you're an emotional eater, like I am), make sure you have plenty of things on hand that are low to no carb, and are filling. Like nice cheeses, olives, eggs... I drink massive amounts of tea. For me personally, with keto I got my blood sugars under control, lost weight, practically fixed my IBS, my rheumatism only acts up when I do things I know i shouldn't, and keeps quiet the rest of the time... Cholesterol's fine too. So really, it can make all the difference. It's nice to be able to tie your shoelaces without your gut crushing your lungs while you're bent over.

You'v tried various diets, so I take it you know what they consist of and what the reasonings behind them are. now you know what goes wrong in a T2's body... I believe you'll be able to get a handle on this sooner than you think, exactly because of your past experiences.
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- might help. And if you've got more quetsions, throw them out there, there's always someone around with answers. :)

You've got this!!!
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the recommended way for me to lose weight with good results.
I'd say keto with intermittent fasting BUT... you have been dieting for years so your body is likely a bit messed up so it might take longer to get the best achievements.
So be prepared if you decide to go down that route for a bit of possible gain before the loss.
Eat satiating full fat foods but try for only 2 meals a day. If you have coffee then maybe add cream for satiety to replace meal. That's what worked best for me.

Reactions: melodyuk2020

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello Melody and welcome.
Am sure there will be some helpful person with useful advice for you along soon.
Best wishes for your journey to better health
Lizzy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Exante and then moved to low carb and have not gained back wieght after losing 7 stone. You lose the weight very fast on Exante , so it gives you a boost at the start and you can still lose weight with low carb-just more slowly. My bg went from 9.5 to 5.3 in 6 months using this way of eating. All the best with whatever way you choose.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
What worked for me was Low carb and intermittent fasting.
Also exercise, especially lifting weights.
As your burn energy after the work out with weight lifting and you dont have to go heavy. It is all about time under tension.
Your better off find an approach that you can stick with and enjoy. Low carb is good and easy. You don't have to work out calories for a start. The quick fix diets cause more trouble long term and can lead to poor relationship with food.

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

thank you for your help
Hi, type 2 same as you, diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Im also struggling to get the weight off, currently 18.1, iv lost about 3lb in 3 weeks. Iv totally changed my diet and do excersizes, walks, my nurse told me as well as metformin, theres another tablet i can take to get the weight off, forgot the name, but maybe speak to your diabetes nurse to see if you can have this pill.

Perminder1

Hello @melodyuk2020 ,

Couple of things to answer your questions: We can't process carbs. Practically all of them turn to glucose once ingested. We make a whole lot of insulin, but we're insensitive to it, so it doesn't help us burn off the glucose. Instead, the glucose just gets stored in fat cells, exactly where you don't want them. So if you weren't losing weight anymore on SW or WW, that's basically why. Carbs are a problem when you have a metabolic condition like we do, and those diets incorporate them. Which is exactly wrong for us! Far as that goes, keto is a good way to go, if you think you want to try that again. You could also go less rigorous, if keto's not an option, and go for low carb/high fat. (Still low carb, like keto, but not so low you enter ketosis). Thing is, this is a for-life kind of thing, so you'll have to find a diet that suits YOUR needs. Not just the physical ones, but the mental ones too. If a diet makes you miserable, it needs adjusting. As for cravings: carbs are addictive, your body will keep demanding them as long as you put some in... It'll always want more. Give yourself a little time to get past that stage eh. If you feel like eating a whole lot due to cravings (or if you're an emotional eater, like I am), make sure you have plenty of things on hand that are low to no carb, and are filling. Like nice cheeses, olives, eggs... I drink massive amounts of tea. For me personally, with keto I got my blood sugars under control, lost weight, practically fixed my IBS, my rheumatism only acts up when I do things I know i shouldn't, and keeps quiet the rest of the time... Cholesterol's fine too. So really, it can make all the difference. It's nice to be able to tie your shoelaces without your gut crushing your lungs while you're bent over.

You'v tried various diets, so I take it you know what they consist of and what the reasonings behind them are. now you know what goes wrong in a T2's body... I believe you'll be able to get a handle on this sooner than you think, exactly because of your past experiences.
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- might help. And if you've got more quetsions, throw them out there, there's always someone around with answers. :)

You've got this!!!
Jo
Fantastic advise

Reactions: Bridget66