What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher hope you enjoyed your coastal drive. Maybe garner some inspiration for a painting?

Very little of the coast to see in 5 miles, and I had been hoping to come back via the Expressway (I can see way over the river and to Hilbre Islands from there), but it was closed for a few miles. I don't know why.
Maybe my next excursion might see something artistic!

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Crowds not surprising though, no work, no holidays, good weather and people suddenly discovering the beauty of Cannock Chase which is only 25 sq mikes and an AONB. I have never seen it this busy even on holiday weekends and I have lived here since 1972. A selfish side of me hopes all these people suddenly don't realise what a gem there is on their doorstep and continue to visit in these numbers. The humanity in me says good at last people realise this is a magical creation.

The down side is before C19 the AONB were struggling and worried about visitor numbers and how they could be controlled, rare heathland and ancient wood, lots of talk and surveys done to look at shutting car parks and laybyes, herding visitors to visitor centres. I fear this influxes of visitors could see the whole place locked down under SSSI, SAC and Natural England guidlines. There have been two devastating fires in the last week and today we noticed several smaller roads had been barred from entry.

I have never seen Cannock Chase packed with visitors @Muddy Cyclist

I am afraid I cannot see that being good. Visitors to the countryside, who don't know the countryside, just do not treat it with the respect it deserves and they have no idea the consequences of many of their actions.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

was 4.4 this morning

very hot here today so spent most of the morning reorganising the contents of a freezer ;)
We're trying Katy in a harness for walks and it's really helping to cut down on the whim-whamming and pulling on the lead :)

Since we live near by the sea today was a day of groups of visitors on the beach obviously not local. and a random selection of convertible drivers with the car top down and the radio on.

mr gee went into the village shop to buy some milk and the lady behind the counter was quite cross about some visitors' thoughtless behaviour. There are big notices up outside saying that you should wear a mask or other mouth/nose covering when entering the small shop and only two customers are allowed at a time plus the local ladies have done a good job making natty cloth masks which they have made available in the shop asking only that a small donation be made to a local charity if you take one.

It's not that they mind the extra custom but having made good arrangements to keep the staff and local customers safe she was disappointed that the visitors felt it was ok to ignore this and just wander in and out in family groups without masks demanding ice cream and the kids picking things up and then putting them back :arghh:

Spent about 40 mins in the garden pulling weeds and had to come in for my disreputable gardening hat, got to be good for my vitamin D levels ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - that's another lovely skyscape, we've been getting some stonking sunsets here these last few days too, fuel for artistic endeavour :)

@Muddy Cyclist - will be interesting to see how you develop those sketches, number two has an interesting composition and I like the vibrant use of colour in number three :)

Art catch up -
Love the stage of the crops when it looks like silk rippling across the fields in the wind :joyful:

View attachment 41784

It is simple enough for people to stick to instructions but unfortunately they don't. Your shopkeeper is doing her best but it's very disappointing when people can't keep to common sense safety rules @geefull

I came across a shop yesterday where you could not enter the shop. There was someone at the door, shop door was open to show that it was open but she stopped you entering. She asked me what I wanted and I had been shopping in it a long time ago, and I had not expected it to be open because it was a hardware type shop. She told me I could not browse and that I could not go in, and if I told her what I wanted she would go and get it for me and bring it to the door and show it to me. I did have a mental list from before the lockdown of what I wanted from that shop but trying to think quickly, I could not remember. And then I remembered a couple of things I wanted so I asked her and she got them for me and then I remembered something else and she got that for me. She brought the card reader to the door she would not deal with cash payments. As I was going back to the car I remembered a few more things I wanted from that shop, so next time I get there I will have a list and I will give them my list and see what she comes up with.

Maybe it's not practical but your shopkeeper may need to do something like this when the influx of visitors is here. Possibly to put a sort of half stable type door, or simpler still, a table across the door (either inside or outside of the shop door), to keep visitors/tourists/people/wayward children out of the shop entirely, and deal with people that way. She might need an extra person (volunteer?) to help her, but that method will stop too many people and children coming in the shop and touching too many things. And, it might even teach the tourists respect for the shopkeeper and what they have to do for a living. You used to have tobacco kiosks or newspaper kiosks years ago and you didn't all squeeze in to see the stuff inside the kiosk did you? You queued. Well, your shopkeeper simply has a very large kiosk by comparison, but people /tourists/and children can simply queue outside (whether rain or shine).

Would it be possible to suggest something like that because you still got the rest of the summer, and she is not going to be in a good frame of mind if she's got to deal with inconsiderate tourists for all that time. Then when the tourists more or less die off, I don't mean literally, then the shopkeeper can go back to the letting the local residents in the shop when everything is quieter. It's just a thought. Would it be worth her thinking about that?

Thank you for the compliment on my paintings.

Your painting makes me think of silk scarves, I think you mentioned the word silk in your words, and a gentle landscape you might see on a silk scarf or a silk painting.
It is gentle and beautiful.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.1

Temp 35.5

A sunny day dawns with blue skies, and my cat Popeye is 28 years old today. He was born on Sunday 31 May 1992.

He has had a lot of trials and tribulations recently with the feral cat attack attacking him a few times, but he's survived and managed to come through each injury. I don't let him outside unattended now because I don't think he would survive another vicious attack, so unfortunately he is on permanent lockdown as well.

He was not very happy with this initially but he is now adjusted, it took him a little while, and he understands all his new routines now. I have a large dog cage, from my hearing dog Meg, and that is kept in the garden, so I can move around the garden where I'm working or doing things, and he is next to me the entire time.

And he still love to spend every afternoon in the potting shed, It is still his favorite chill out sleep spot. But it's a little hot this hot weather and I have to put an extension lead from the garage to it, so I can put a couple of cold fans in there.

And I join him there as well. And I also have a small battery fan on him, and another on me! And a frozen water bottle in front of each!

Here he is at 5 am this morning. He was looking out of my bedroom door into the garden.

IMG_31052020_054518_(1500_x_2000_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, the sky is being a bit mardy here in the dark and dangerous north so I hope an hour on the naughty step will cause it to reflect.

The wonder wheel of avocado salad and video tea’s with the grandchildren came in at 4.3 this am. Why do you have to buy avocados three days in advance of fancying one even though the sign says “for today” - no, not for today, for the day after tomorrow.

Bread - I made a loaf of bread in our slow cooker yesterday -I know - the things you get up to when you are bored and suddenly remember that film Frankenstein. Took a couple of hours for the centre to reach the magic 96 deg C and then a couple of minutes under the grill to brown the top. Tastes good - might even have toast today.

Taiwan - the most successful country at tackling Covid-19 is not being allowed to WHO talks on tackling pandemics because the Chinese insist that the country is part of China - how crazy can humans be. We should be buying their tech and using their example instead of mooching about on the IofW. Perhaps we deserve a pandemic every now and again from the photos and reports I have seen just about the number of visitors and their discarded rubbish on our local beach. Trouble is Covid-19 does not target idiots.
“100 idiots make idiotic plans, and carry them out. All but one justly fail. The hundredth idiot whose plans succeeded through pure luck, is immediately convinced he’s a genius.”

—Iain M Banks, Matter

I am still not going out.

Have the most wonderful day that you can make it, I’m starting with koffy.

upload_2020-5-31_7-18-12.jpeg

upload_2020-5-31_7-18-36.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. My fbg today 4.9 @ 5.30 - was 4.2 @ 3.30. A timely reminder that managing bg/T2 doesn't happen independently of general functioning/health. Very warm lately and high pollen count plus very dusty in this area. Add in a considerable ramping up of exercise without enough hydration and my right ankle rebukes me sternly. So far not a disaster and perhaps I shouldn't delve too deeply into optimising everything. I read a few articles and papers which suggested that drinking too much tea can cause anaemia = lower hematocrit levels = higher A1c. On balance, I would say NSAIDs are a bigger problem. Take care, especially if you leave home as it appears to be a cross between Dodge City and a Darwinian nightmare out there now the Govt have given up.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
6.15am FBG 5.3
Didn't do half the jobs on yesterday's list, got diverted to another instead. So now have completed the sorting, listing and storing of the remaining boxes. Planned menu for next two days.
Ned to get some summer clothes out:cool:
Everyone enjoy your Saturday, but dont forget to stay safe.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Have been on a lovely you tube walk around one of our favourite places - Sheringham Park - to see the rhododendrons. I.so.hope the National Trust will.open it while they are still flowering.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen. Full stop.

A 5.3 this morning which means a recalculation of my insulin dose, nothing serious, a minor inconvenience.

Well folks according to the news people in the high risk category can relax their level of shielding oh whoopy. I am in this category and it terrifies me, I shall apply a bit of serious thought to this, but I do have an advantage over most, I have 6 personalities therefore 6 times the brain power or as serious mathematicians say 6 x 0 = 0.

Have a great day, stay hydrated in this heat, keep the sewerage busy.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Fbg 6.1

Temp 35.5

A sunny day dawns with blue skies, and my cat Popeye is 28 years old today. He was born on Sunday 31 May 1992.

He has had a lot of trials and tribulations recently with the feral cat attack attacking him a few times, but he's survived and managed to come through each injury. I don't let him outside unattended now because I don't think he would survive another vicious attack, so unfortunately he is on permanent lockdown as well.

He was not very happy with this initially but he is now adjusted, it took him a little while, and he understands all his new routines now. I have a large dog cage, from my hearing dog Meg, and that is kept in the garden, so I can move around the garden where I'm working or doing things, and he is next to me the entire time.

And he still love to spend every afternoon in the potting shed, It is still his favorite chill out sleep spot. But it's a little hot this hot weather and I have to put an extension lead from the garage to it, so I can put a couple of cold fans in there.

And I join him there as well. And I also have a small battery fan on him, and another on me! And a frozen water bottle in front of each!
Wow! Happy 28th birthday to Popeye. :singing:
Here he is at 5 am this morning. He was looking out of my bedroom door into the garden.

View attachment 41785

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
late afternoon.
up too late last night watching american TV

bg 6.4
temp 36.5

alarming scenes and some bewildering ones.
police in some states attacking reporters, others driving their police vehicles into crowds
yet in another laying down there batons and marching with the people.

Incredible sights

https://twitter.com/Goodable/status/1266933266545881088?s=20

Suspect with few obeying govt because of Cummings and the march Today,
London, just got a little less safe.

I pray your corner of the globe is safe and stays that way.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a short video of Sheringham Park which I think is my favourite place in Norfolk. Hopefully the link will work.

Nice video thank you for sharing this gem. We are going to Dorothy Clive Gardens on Wednesday Morining, booked and members only this week, there is a large quarry there full of rhododendrons might be lucky enough to catch some still flowering.

Reactions: geefull

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A strange day that vanished, daughter visited and sat at social distance in our garden, long chats but she really doesn't have any idea of time or when to go, takes after her mom. Lovely to spend the time chatting but Day disappeared. So very quick watercolour sketch of stepping stones from other angle, still not the stile I can see in my head, so frustrating. A5 20 minute sketch..
IMG_3263.JPG