What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast: 2x CWC, 2 eggs scrambled with butter.
CWC
Lunch: lettuce. Radish. Sort of coleslaw made with carrot, celeriac and spring onion, tin of sardines in oil on one slice pain kapnor toast. Water, tea. Half a tomato.
Half a dozen walnuts.
Snack, raw carrot and mangetout
Dinner: Bolognaise types sauce with 30 penne pasta, brocolli, courgette, ( first from the garden)sprinkled with parmesan.two.glasses of wine, few pieces roast celeriac, was meant to be for tomorrow, 2 squares 75% low sugar chocolate.
BG before dinner 5.9 expect the snack pushed it up a bit.
One hour 7.6
Two and a bit hours (rubbish timing) 5.1
The amount i ate am surprised BG was low.
Cup of tea and now off to bed.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am miles behind! I am absolutely fine and I seem to have finally shaken off this bug at long last. @DJC3 I am assuming you got the DGF bakewell? How are they?
Anyway need to get a few days done before I start catching up on the posts.
Last Sunday 24 May bed 5.7 FBG 6.
B. TAG and 2 Dairylea triangles.
L. Nothing - experimenting doing Hubby's dinner.
D. I had a gigot chop, mint sauce, mini cob and sprouts. Hubby's experimental dish was chicken and cashew nuts. Got the sauce right but I can't remember how I made it I fiddled so much with it.
Usual campari and soda. DGF blueberry and lemon.

Monday 25 May - bed 5.4 FBG 5.7. No 2 grandson's birthday today. He's 7. Bit of a faff this morning. We'd got him a new bike but son called late yesterday to say it had been damaged in transit and he couldn't get one of the wheels on. This morning consisted of a lot of telephone calls. One to get the bike secured and packed ready for a courier collection (still waiting) and two to get a replacement. I'd had it delivered and firm wouldn't issue a replacement until the damaged one came back. I settled for just buying elsewhere. Hubby found a cycle shop very near us, called, they were open and they had what I was looking for. They even assembled it. 2 hours later bike was collected and taken to the birthday boy who was highly delighted.
B. Just TAG.
L. Much later - 2 Dairylea triangles!
D. 3 GF pork sausages, fried egg and veggie chips from the depths of the freezer. DGF chocolate and hazelnut.

My car is starting to act up again too. More on that later.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back @ziggy_w. I look forward to reading your posts once I catch up again. @Chook - I have about 100 posts to go but I hope you are feeling better again. As @Annb said we were both the same. This thing kept coming and going with monotonous regularity. The longer it went on the symptoms lessened. @SlimLizzy - how is Mr Slim doing?
Tuesday bed 5.5 FBG 5.4. As I mentioned car is acting up again. The shudder has returned and it is happening on very short journeys now. I am still having to nurse it along as my new replacement car is stuck somewhere and isn't going anywhere until all the dealerships open. I'm trying to avoid wandering anywhere now.
B. TAG and a couple of GF seeded crackers with Philadelphia.
L. Nothing
D. Spit roasted chicken from the air fryer with veggie chips. DGF chocolate and hazelnut.

After all the tooing and froing yesterday remained at home and finalised the order for Morrisons for tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 27 May - bed 5.7 FBG 6. @Brunneria - expression on the pooches face is priceless. @Chook - I just knew it was going to be Jack. Hope your neighbour is recovering. @SlimLizzy - I do hope Mr Slim stays safe. Up here the care homes are complaining again about being told new residents from the community can be tested after admission and not surprisingly they are refusing taking into account the high infection rates.
Today was shopping delivery day so it was a case of checking what wasn't arriving and making a list to hit Tesco less than 1 mile away.
Shopping duely arrived, sorted for son's, dropped their batch then off to Tesco for the rest.
B. TAG and the GF crackers with Philadelphia.
L. I actually had a tomato sandwich with LC bread.
D. Beef wrap stuffed with sliced peppers and onion and cauliflower rice. Made a spicy sauce to go with it.

Weather is now glorious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you’re ok @maglil55 no I haven’t actually completed the DGF bakewell order. I was hanging on in the hope they would do more of the choc& hazelnut brownies, and the peanut blondie. Both out of stock but they didn’t say if or when they’d be making more. I usually buy 3 at a time to get free p&p but I still have some of the other varieties in the freezer so I’m not sure what to do now. I waited too long for the choc& hazelnut ones and missed the boat.
Today’s food : Lunch was bacon - 2 rashers streaky and 2 scrambled eggs. Followed by DGF strawberries&cream blondie with dollop of clotted cream
Dinner- Chinese takeaway I had 1/4 a crispy duck with stir fried veg that I made myself. Mine looked more appetising than the rest I think.
Couple glasses Champagne during tonight’s Zoom quiz which Mr C and I won so the Champagne worked it’s celebratory magic. We’ll have to have a bottle every week now.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Beautiful day! My neighbour across the road sold his motorbike (noisy but worked) and his ancient Landrover Defender (noisy but worked) and bought himself a collector's item motorbike which is incredibly noisy, blows thick blue/black smelly smoke and doesn't work. He is now having to use his wife's car to get to work - she's not impressed! He is currently out on his drive trying to fix the bike and its so noisy we can't sit in our back garden and I've had to shut all the windows. The bike obviously doesn't like him because its a kick start and it kicked back so hard yesterday that he ended up flat on the floor with the bike on top of him.

Today...
Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch cooked by Mr C - chaffle, mushrooms, fried eggs, 100g baked beans
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: leftovers from yesterdays Greek feast (loads left - may be eating leftovers for a couple of days)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can recommend!
Just make a bit less than I did, this was twice as much as I needed. Good thing the dogs (4 of them at the moment) approved as well and I saved two bits to to see if they're good when cold or reheated :)

It will probably work even better if you crush the pork scratchings in a food processor or such, which will make smaller pieces than rolling them between baking sheets with a bottle of booze. I added chilli and black pepper to the beaten egg and made a dipping sauce of smokey sriracha and mayonnaise. (I'm Dutch so I can't imagine eating something resembling fries without a mayonnaise based sauce :D.)

100898169_10220883793598955_9023919691273338880_o.jpg
Another mix I use is Almond flour, parmesan and sesame seeds. About equal amounts. It gives a nice crisp coat when fried.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just reading about the people in New Zealand newly released from lockdown and all heading for breakfast at McDonald's or barista style cafes.... I decided the thing I would most enjoy (apart from hugging loved ones again) is to go to the Doncaster Toby Carvery for one of their gorgeous buffet breafasts. Mmmmm

What would everyone else do?
I want to go for a meal at our favourite restaurant which is within walking distance. Anything else it seems you can already do judging from the numbers out.

Reactions: Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Beautiful day! My neighbour across the road sold his motorbike (noisy but worked) and his ancient Landrover Defender (noisy but worked) and bought himself a collector's item motorbike which is incredibly noisy, blows thick blue/black smelly smoke and doesn't work. He is now having to use his wife's car to get to work - she's not impressed! He is currently out on his drive trying to fix the bike and its so noisy we can't sit in our back garden and I've had to shut all the windows. The bike obviously doesn't like him because its a kick start and it kicked back so hard yesterday that he ended up flat on the floor with the bike on top of him.

Reminds me of when I was trying to learn to ride a motorbike - it was a kick start effort and I was scared of it kicking back, so could never get it going. I was fine once it was going, but trying to get to that stage! We had a Lambretta at one stage which had an ignition key to start it - I couldn't ride that either because I couldn't get my balance on it. It would have been fine if I could have had a machine which had the best of both worlds (ignition button and sitting astride).

My plan was to have a kind of breakfast bake and later some lamb from a rack that I bought on Thursday. Best laid plans and all that. Felt so tired last night that I went to be about 3 hours earlier than usual so didn't put the lamb into the marinade. Then, despite being tired, it took me an hour to get to sleep and I woke up again about an hour later. After a short time awake, I did get back to sleep but woke again about 4 am. I got up at 4.30, had a cup of tea because I was so thirsty and eventually fell asleep again in the kitchen chair. Then I couldn't wake up properly until about 11.

But I'm awake now - after several cups of tea - still thirsty (FBG was only 7) and I have just put my breakfast bake in the oven and got the lamb into the marinade. Actually not hungry though. Still, knowing me, once I do eat something it will remind my stomach what it is there for and I will feel hungry. For now - more tea, I think.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria - Dr Almond have come up with LC porridge (they sent me an email). 2 types - plain and a cinnamon one. Haven't tired it but it is low carb. @Annb - sorry to read the symptoms are back again. All I have now is an occasional runny nose but that's to do with all the grass cutting that's going on. @DJC3 - think I'll have to order the bakewells.
I'm up to Thursday now 28 May. Bed 5.6 FBG 5.1.
Another busy, sweltering day. This morning the boys had Google classroom sessions. Eldest had an assembly- younger one a class meet up. It's a good system. Teachers are posting the tasks and the children do the work and submit for marking. The teachers are available at certain times if they want to ask questions. They then came to ours (we live very close) and sat outside going through old photos for a family tree project. In the absence of a portaloo, No , I did not refuse access to our toilet. Boys are skilled in cleanliness. One of them even likes cleaning toilets!!
B. TAG slice of toasted LC bread.
L. Nothing
D. Couple of cold salmon fillets, tomato, lettuce, boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, 3 walnuts and home made veggie salad. Later DGF choc & hazelnut. Oh and a little bottle of prosecco. Well it was really hot.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And it smelled so promising when I opened the marinading container. It was cooked in the oven rather than fried and ended up hard, rather than crispy.
Did you see Paul Hollywood’s recent program on Japan? He went to a top tofu restaurant and tried lots of different dishes but found them all bland and unappetising. No hope for me if the best chefs can’t make it taste good.
I watched all of these. It was mostly very interesting apart from the spatchcock guinea pigs which I found disturbing since grandsons have them for pets. Totally agree on tofu though.

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal - I had to laugh at the bean sprouts for Brussels! The certainly do get some odd substitution ideas but they are improving. My problem currently is trying to sort out refunds for items that don't appear. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often but it can take a couple of weeks when it does. @ziggy_w I've been doing some online teaching with the boys but it was much easier to finally bring them over on Thursday. Both households have been isolated and I was the only one ill (which I caught well before lockdown).
Friday now 29 May - bed 5.4 FBG 5.1.
Got a butcher meat delivery today having cleared freezer space.

B. TAG and slice of toasted LC bread with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. Cooked a chicken during the day so we had chicken salad, lettuce, boiled egg, 1/2 avocado , tomato, 3 walnuts, bit emmental, home made veggie salad, mayo. DGF strawberry & cream blondie.

Question - anyone else think this lockdown has removed any last vestige of common sense from some people? I'm finding quite a few now seem incapable of thinking for themselves.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched all of these. It was mostly very interesting apart from the spatchcock guinea pigs which I found disturbing since grandsons have them for pets. Totally agree on tofu though.

Yes I agree, it was mostly a good program. I do hope the boys didn’t watch it though.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 5.9 - yessss! Now up to yesterday Saturday 30 May. Didn't have to go out yesterday so focused on getting things done at home with the occasional seat in the sun. Weather is wonderful. Washing is up to date, ironing not so much. Way too hot. @shelley262 - loving the new avatar. I too was making scones today but normal sultana ones for Hubby. I looked at the LC version but couldn't be bothered. Still Hubby is happy. @Annb - don't know if you noticed, but East Renfrewshire Council are opening their primaries from 15 June for the reception class and the P7's. They are certainly important classes but interesting to see a council breaking ranks.
B. TAG and toasted LC bread with pate.
L. Nothing
D. Same as yesterday, chicken salad with lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, walnuts, boiled egg, veggie salad and mayo. 6 raspberries.

I have some hope on the replacement car but nothing certain. Their garages are opening for repairs for Joe Public - not just NHS but they are getting the showroom staff in to prep the area for reopening the showrooms in the HOPE! that you know who decides to grant them permission on 15 June. Fingers crossed as I am a nervous wreck with this one now. It must be seriously confusing for anyone on the border between 2 countries with all the different rules. That's what I'd find confusing.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Another glorious sunny day - even warmer than yesterday, I think. And another long walk in the sun, aided by the Emirates airline being open - even better, for social distancing reasons, 1 person per pod (unless from the same household). Great views and some welcome excitement!

Two meals today. Woke up very hungry so ate before going out - extra thick double cream mixed with 100% chocolate drops and some cheese. Odd breakfast but hit the spot.

Dinner was supposed to be short rib but didn’t get home in time to prep and cook it before a scheduled zoom chat with my dad, sister and Dad’s wife so settled for minced beef fried with 2 eggs and some grated cheese once the call was done.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I unpacked my new solar fairy lights. None of that multi colour flashing nonsense ;) just good old warm white, always on. Hung one string along the side wall. It was long enough to go end to end and back again. The other string is draped all over the rose arch. I hope I put them out early enough to catch the sun so we have illuminations tonight. The old strings gave up a couple of weeks ago.

We have had solar lighting in the garden for years, in various incarnations of spikes, fairy drapes, and PIR sensors, ever since I twigged that young pup No. 1 was scared of the dark outside.

I think there was a cat incident. He is half the weight of a prosperous cat, so it was probably a v unfair fight. I used to grow catmint, so it may even have been a psychotic hallucinating cat incident.
to this day, he still checks the garden out carefully before going through the cat dog flap.

B: lc hc
L: Lidl protein noodles with chorizo in a light cream sauce
D: will be curry, one of the many freezer portions :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I figured a pod was one of those binoculars you need to put a penny in in the vicinity of an airport where you were happy to watch planes flying for Emirates! How wrong I was!
But reread your post imagining you don't know and it does make sense. (Apart from the part where you go out of your way to watch planes through binoculars, that is. But what do I know about your hobbies?)

Anyway, when my trip to your country finally happens, a ride on one of those pods is definitely high on the wish list!
And another long walk in the sun, aided by the Emirates airline being open - even better, for social distancing reasons, 1 person per pod (unless from the same household). Great views and some welcome excitement!

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3