“Dates” and Diabetes

Mai Kuda

I have hunger pangs and was sdvised by a friend to add dates as a snack or in my weetabix
Can I have your opinion on this please
I have type 2 diabetes

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Mr Google says that per 100gms of dates there are 75gms of carbohydrate with 63 of those grams being sugar. For every 100gms of Weetabix there are 69 gms of carb. They're the simple facts.

If you want to do something to help control your BG by lowering your carb intake and without relying on more and more medication then neither dates or Weetabix are good options.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you go properly low carb or keto, you should not feel hungry. When I first started, I had a snack box that contained cheese, walnuts, olives and pork scratchings.

If you tell us what you eat in a typical day we might be able to help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That person was not your friend -
Seriously, neither weetabix nor dates should be on the menu. They are far too high in carbohydrate for many type twos and there are safer options to try.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have hunger pangs and was sdvised by a friend to add dates as a snack or in my weetabix
I have type 2 diabetes
Sadly your friend has no idea what is good for a type 2 diabetic. I’m sure they mean well but dates are high sugar and it doesn’t matter if they are “natural” or not. Same for all the other natural sugar alternatives Eg honey, coconut sugar etc etc. And weetabix is full of carbs which are krytonite to type 2

Please have a read of these links in red. It’s obvious no one has actually ever told you what food is good and why. You’d hope the nhs would but all too often doesn’t.......

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

Echoing the previous posters- carbs are not your friend. I stick to less than 20 grams a day but others may stick to 100g for example- in either case weet big with dates would not be helpful.

The thing is that many do not really understand type 2 diabetes. You really need to cut down the carbs- not just sugar all carbs. But rather than take this on faith- invest in a meter and start testing. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite it will let you know how your body coped with the meal. You want a rise of less than 2.

Many ion the medical Community city don't understand type 2 let alone the general public. The belief is that it ois a progressive illness and you can't do anything about it. That has been demonstrated not to be correct by many people on this site.

Start testing and then keep a record off what you ate and see if a meal with lower carbs is better for your body. and if so sweet. ix and dates are not lower carbs.

M

Member496333

Weetabix and dates are what I’d feed someone if I was trying to give them diabetes.

Reactions: rab5