I'm not sure anymore

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning Everyone

My blood sugars aren't coming down.
Libre reports 0% in range 14 days. My diabetes nurse and dietitian dont have think my diet is bad, I told them. I eat potatoes and rice, pasta, tuna fish, throughout the week. Its different each day. I was told to eat the low GI foods.

My blood sugars I fear will never come down I have told my diabetes nurse I'm now on 15 units of novorapid and 19 units of lantus. Yet throughout the day I still stay above 20 and will rise again in the evening meal.

I exercise everyday and I drink plenty of water but still it's not enough to bring down my sugars from 20 down to a reasonable 7 or 8.

Anytime i eat within 20-30mins i will adapt to rise again, my problem is I'm not even with insulin I'm not coming down what else could I recommend to get checked? I have had c-peptide checked and dr said highly likely type 2.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - potatoes rice and pasta are all high carb foods.
I checked out 'low GI' and there was no difference I could see using an ordinary meter - possibly a slight delay or a longer lower spike, but the difference was nothing significant for me.
Try something lower in carbs and reducing the amount of the high carb foods little by little. As you are on insulin you need to be really careful as low carb eating is often very effective in reducing blood glucose levels so you don't want to be going hypo.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well - potatoes rice and pasta are all high carb foods.
I checked out 'low GI' and there was no difference I could see using an ordinary meter - possibly a slight delay or a longer lower spike, but the difference was nothing significant for me.
Try something lower in carbs and reducing the amount of the high carb foods little by little. As you are on insulin you need to be really careful as low carb eating is often very effective in reducing blood glucose levels so you don't want to be going hypo.

I have been experimenting.. I have fasted and yet my blood sugars haven't come down. I drink plenty of water everyday, - I told my dietician what I tend to eat throughout the week, tuna, rice, potatoes and meat too. At this point my blood sugars are of even going down with even with just meat my blood sugar are staying high longer and I'm pretty sure damage has been done already

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have consistently eaten rice and potatoes then the amount of glucose storage in your liver and muscles will be high - and you are using insulin which prevents those stores emptying easily.
Are you avoiding fat? That is very common these days and that also tends to keep things out of balance, so you break down protein into glucose rather than changing over to fat burning.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have consistently eaten rice and potatoes then the amount of glucose storage in your liver and muscles will be high - and you are using insulin which prevents those stores emptying easily.
Are you avoiding fat? That is very common these days and that also tends to keep things out of balance, so you break down protein into glucose rather than changing over to fat burning.

Insulin was my last option, I tend to eat potatoes and mix it around, I eat rice moderately with dhaal sometimes I even eat a meat-only meal to experiment- I really want to feel energised again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@UsmanMo96

You day you are on a fixed dose of insulin every day.
If you wish to continue eating the level of carbs that you are currently on, then your insulin needs to be adjusted to deal with them.

It looks like you need to contact your healthcare team and discuss increasing your insulin doses with them.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@UsmanMo96

You day you are on a fixed dose of insulin every day.
If you wish to continue eating the level of carbs that you are currently on, then your insulin needs to be adjusted to deal with them.

It looks like you need to contact your healthcare team and discuss increasing your insulin doses with them.

I spoken to them already if my numbers don't go down to 7-8 up my 3 units every 3 days

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoken to them already if my numbers don't go down to 7-8 up my 3 units every 3 days

Then do that, until you see your blood glucose levels coming down to the target set by your healthcare team.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with the others, Potatoes are high carb and many of us avoid them. If you want to continue eating higher carbs then you have to accept more drugs. If you want to try low carb discuss when you need to reduce the drugs - but it will take more than a day or two.
Even though I was diagnosed early and went low carb immediately it took a while for my numbers to drop into the normal range.

Reemap

Please try to avoid potatoes and rice .. you can replace it with salads, fish, cauliflower rice and eggs.
But you need to adjust the insulin accordingly because above are low carb food .

Adamspillman

Im type 1 always at the extremes either high bloods or lows it becomes a battle for me all the time,the only way i have found my bloods at the normal range is when i basically only get my crabs from veg excluding potatoes i also eat much more meat like chicken or tuna and some oily fish,even then i feel like poop.... i am not on a fixed does of novarapid and im on 40units yes 40 of the lantus :O and the docs have not really said thats bad lmao hmm i should exercise more

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im type 1 always at the extremes either high bloods or lows it becomes a battle for me all the time,the only way i have found my bloods at the normal range is when i basically only get my crabs from veg excluding potatoes i also eat much more meat like chicken or tuna and some oily fish,even then i feel like poop.... i am not on a fixed does of novarapid and im on 40units yes 40 of the lantus :O and the docs have not really said thats bad lmao hmm i should exercise more

I really hope you too get better control.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning Everyone

My blood sugars aren't coming down.
Libre reports 0% in range 14 days. My diabetes nurse and dietitian dont have think my diet is bad, I told them. I eat potatoes and rice, pasta, tuna fish, throughout the week. Its different each day. I was told to eat the low GI foods.

My blood sugars I fear will never come down I have told my diabetes nurse I'm now on 15 units of novorapid and 19 units of lantus. Yet throughout the day I still stay above 20 and will rise again in the evening meal.

I exercise everyday and I drink plenty of water but still it's not enough to bring down my sugars from 20 down to a reasonable 7 or 8.

Anytime i eat within 20-30mins i will adapt to rise again, my problem is I'm not even with insulin I'm not coming down what else could I recommend to get checked? I have had c-peptide checked and dr said highly likely type 2.

Hi,

From an insulin user perspective. Its a little like building a house?
Your Lantus is a long acting basal insulin. The "foundation."
You can't work out what your diet Novorapid is doing until you have something solid with your basal.

Hope this link helps. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/