Stressed about going into insulin-Type 2

No need to feel depressed, and if you DO end up on insulin, it's no biggie.

I'd you change your diet drastically, you need to test before and after you eat. However, you need to be careful with your meds or you will end up in hypo territory.

I will be careful & will discuss with my diabetic expert.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
will discuss with my diabetic expert.
Some HPCs are not on board ith lchf. Tell them you are going to try the diet and ask how to manage your medication. If is not successful in your case, then you are open to other suggestions.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,
Thank you so much for your reply & valuable info. I’m not on any other medication. Just glicazide & linagliptin at the moment. I have only just started to test daily so getting in the swing of that. I will discuss the low or no carb diet with my dn. I do not want to go on insulin as I feel like it’s a failure & maybe I can avoid it by drastically changing my diet.
Just so you know, the only one on board with my going LCHF and later Keto, was my GP, who didn't know anything about diabetes and knew I tested like the strips were free. She figured it was worth seeing what it'd get me, and I was the only one in her practice ever to get back to non-diabetic levels. The people who told me I shouldn't? My endo, my nurse, and two dieticians. The NHS is catching on at the top, but it's taking a while for this info to trickle down in the UK. In the Netherlands, where I'm from, they're still pretty much lost.

Tell you what though: If you get a LOT of conflicting information, which is basically bound to happen, and you are really serious about wanting to avoid insulin? Turn to your meter. I'm just a stranger on the internet, as is everyone here really, and we could be telling you anything. Your meter has no agenda, doesn't try to sell you anything, doesn't adhere to some blind dogma, it just tells you what's working for you, and what isn't. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, if it's up no more than 2.0 mmol/l or less it's all good. Experiment with foods, and see what happens. That's basically what I did. Just gave it a go and saw the results. Been in the non-diabetic range ever since. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having seen what you are eating, those high carb foods could be over whelming the ability of the medication to assist in lowering BG. By eating low carb you could drop down too low - it is a very powerful tool in normalizing BG levels - I don't need medication at all.
You could continue eating as you are and use insulin in the same way as a type one, though you might require rather a lot of it as type twos can be insulin resistant rather than lacking in insulin.

Reactions: Curley Shirley
Thank you to everyone for their advice. I am so pleased I joined this forum. Of course I should have ages ago.
I have spoken to my diabetes lady this afternoon & she is very supportive of me not going on insulin at the moment & doing a low carb diet. My medication is ok with this plan. She said to test a lot & randomly. So, I am going to give it a month & see what I can do.

M

Member496333

Thank you to everyone for their advice. I am so pleased I joined this forum. Of course I should have ages ago.
I have spoken to my diabetes lady this afternoon & she is very supportive of me not going on insulin at the moment & doing a low carb diet. My medication is ok with this plan. She said to test a lot & randomly. So, I am going to give it a month & see what I can do.

That is great. It's good to know that you have the support of your healthcare people. Unnecessary added friction in this regard is never nice. You're now in a good place to make great strides forward, and I'm feeling confident that you will be able to make marked improvements to your health and quality of life. Good luck! :nurse:

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
My blood sugar is very high-14 this morning before breakfast, 16.8 yesterday. I have type 2 diabetes & am on 4 glicazide & 1 linagliptin per day. Apparently due to genetics or bad luck my tablets don’t work anymore & I am now threatened with going onto insulin. I weigh 9 stone 9 I play a lot of tennis & exercise everyday & eat what I think is a healthy diet. Can I change this by changing my diet drastically or is it too late? Any advice would be welcome.
Thank you.

I’m type 2 (20 years) and I’ve been on insulin for 4 years. My control since I’ve been low carb is fantastic, my insulin doses are very small (4 units of Humalog before meals, and 14 of Abasaglar at night). You’ve got nothing to lose by trying it, and everything to gain. Don’t be afraid of insulin, it’s helped me a lot and I don’t take anything else (no tablets at all).

Reactions: KK123

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Random testing will give you exactly zero idea of what you can and can't eat - the usual regime of testing just before starting to eat, and then two hours later should show up exactly what you can and can't cope with in the way of carbs.

Just so you know, the only one on board with my going LCHF and later Keto, was my GP, who didn't know anything about diabetes and knew I tested like the strips were free. She figured it was worth seeing what it'd get me, and I was the only one in her practice ever to get back to non-diabetic levels. The people who told me I shouldn't? My endo, my nurse, and two dieticians. The NHS is catching on at the top, but it's taking a while for this info to trickle down in the UK. In the Netherlands, where I'm from, they're still pretty much lost.

Tell you what though: If you get a LOT of conflicting information, which is basically bound to happen, and you are really serious about wanting to avoid insulin? Turn to your meter. I'm just a stranger on the internet, as is everyone here really, and we could be telling you anything. Your meter has no agenda, doesn't try to sell you anything, doesn't adhere to some blind dogma, it just tells you what's working for you, and what isn't. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, if it's up no more than 2.0 mmol/l or less it's all good. Experiment with foods, and see what happens. That's basically what I did. Just gave it a go and saw the results. Been in the non-diabetic range ever since. ;)

Thank you again. I see this as very positive & am hopeful that I can change things. As you say the meter says it how it is.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Welcome to the forum.

What do you consider a healthy diet, what do you eat in a typical day?
The diet I consider healthy is low carb high fat. My regular meals consist of low GI veggies, meat, poultry, fish, nuts, legumes and healthy fats - sourced fats and olive oil. On a typical dinner table, there is hardly any starchy food (bread, rice, pasta, potato, etc.). Actually, I am thriving on this diet. You can see my labs on my blog. They speak for themselves.

Anavrin

I’m new to this as I’ve only recently been diagnosed as Type 2, I’ve done my research and so far to me it seems odd to me that anyone with Type 2 Diabetes would use insulin as a Treatment.

Type 2 Diabetes is caused by high insulin levels, and this high level is a result of bad diet over many years, even decades.

As blood glucose rises from a sustained poor, sugary high carb diet, the body responds by producing more insulin to deal with the glucose, the increased insulin leads to insulin resistance and fatty liver, this is a perpetual cycle and eventually the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to keep the blood glucose in check, at this point your A1C goes up dramatically and your soon Pre diabetic or type 2, eventually the liver exports fat to other organs including the pancreas, which reduces its ability to produce insulin, thus adding to problem further.

Treating a condition caused by high insulin with more insulin is not the cure, it may treat the symptom (high blood glucose) but not the cause ( high insulin)

Ive come across a great book, I first spotted it from somewhere in this site, It’s called The Diabetes Code, By Dr Jason Fung, well worth a read (or listen)

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugar is very high-14 this morning before breakfast, 16.8 yesterday. I have type 2 diabetes & am on 4 glicazide & 1 linagliptin per day. Apparently due to genetics or bad luck my tablets don’t work anymore & I am now threatened with going onto insulin. I weigh 9 stone 9 I play a lot of tennis & exercise everyday & eat what I think is a healthy diet. Can I change this by changing my diet drastically or is it too late? Any advice would be welcome.
Thank you.

I did a quick lookup of the two drugs glicazide & linagliptin. If I’m understanding correctly, these drugs want to increase the insulin. My understanding is if your IR more insulin is not going to help. For myself I went HFLC, meat and green veggies and 2 meals a day (just kept it simple). Look up these names on the internet (you tube) Dr. Sten Ekberg Dr. Ken Berry MD and Dr Eric Berg and Dr Jason Fung.

Please research and research it will help you so much.

Reactions: giftedbean

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I havent been testing for a few months, then I got new strips and shocked to find i was in double figures. After a hard day at work i was 12mmol, and 13.7 on the morning. So i missed lunch, had no snacks and this morning is 13.9. Ive contacted my docs and im expecting to be put on insulin. My last hba1c was 48 but that was way before lockdown.
I have started a new job which is very phisycal hard work..dont know if thats why its up but id expect it to be lower if anything.. im resigned to my insulin levels being ********. Ill be eating just protien and no carbs until ive seen my diabetic nurse.. **** happens eh