Occasional vodka???

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok this is controversial but I’ve not drank any alcohol in over 18 months. Not because I had a problem but just mainly for health reasons. I realise alcohol makes a hypo more likely. But if I wanted one or two vodkas on a special occasion, is there a way of controlling any spikes if I were to try it? Or is it best just avoided altogether? My logic tells me if you had one or two clean low carb drinks with food and something fatty then it might be ok? Any experiences?? Or is it wishful thinking?!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wodka doesn't spike, unless you mix with sugary mixers.
It's only the mixers you need to watch, and of course as you mentioned, the increased risk of a hypo afterwards.

edit: I completely overlooked the fact this is in the RH subforum until @Rokaab pointed this out, apologies! The answer to wodka spiking remains the same, but I know nothing about increased risk of hypo's afterwards at all in reactive hypoglycemia.
The question about spiking and alcohol-induced hypo's made me jump to the false conclusion you are a diabetic on BG-lowering medication.

Last edited:

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vodka , as it's a spirit, has lots of calories but no carbs, so it's not a problem in itself. The problem about spirits is that your liver spends hours after the drinking session dealing with the alcohol and is not available to convert stored glycogen back to glucose for release into the bloodstream during this time. The end result can be a more severe hypo than those you normaĺly experience. The recommendation often made is that you have an extra carby snack before heading for bed. (My personal experience confirms this.)

Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The recommendation often made is that you have an extra carby snack before heading for bed. (My personal experience confirms this.)
Though with reactive hypoglycaemia I'm not sure what the best plan would be as said carbs may cause a hypo

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, as the OP just has 'member' against the posts, I missed that too.Sorry, tom2pin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @tom2pin

I’ve had RH for years, so I'm speaking from long experience of that.
But my experience of alcohol is usually restricted to a glass or so, with food. Am definitely not a binge drinker, or even a habitual drinker. :D

In my experience, alcohol takes many forms, and things like cider or beer, or spirits mixed with sweet carby mixers act like any carb, and may trigger an RH hyper/hypo. On the other hand, a spirit or a dry wine, have virtually no impact on blood glucose.

Some people report lower fasting blood glucose several hours after drinking (typically the next morning’s fasting blood glucose), but that isn’t something I have experienced, perhaps because of the smallish quantities I drink?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok this is controversial but I’ve not drank any alcohol in over 18 months. Not because I had a problem but just mainly for health reasons. I realise alcohol makes a hypo more likely. But if I wanted one or two vodkas on a special occasion, is there a way of controlling any spikes if I were to try it? Or is it best just avoided altogether? My logic tells me if you had one or two clean low carb drinks with food and something fatty then it might be ok? Any experiences?? Or is it wishful thinking?!

Hi again, sorry been teetotal for about fifteen years because, it was for some reason making my night and day after really bad!!!
But I did discover that neat Bacardi or a dram of single malt seemed to be okay!
Vodka is vile, so I just don't know! (But, if it doesn't effect you) why not have a shot!

Keep safe

Reactions: OrsonKartt

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I can drink 2 or 3 glasses of dry red wine or two or 3 small beers over an evening without any significant changes in my blood glucose. I rarely drink spirits but the result would be the same :)