Type 1 Injected Novorapid instead of Lantus

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I injected 11 units of Novorapid instead of my night time Lantus a few minutes ago. Is there anything I can do? Thank you. Loey

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What's your insulin to carb ratio? eg if it's 1 unit to 10g then you need 110g of carbs..... If it's 1 to 3 then it would only be 33g.

So, time to enjoy a late night snack....(feast?) Imagine you're just eating a meal at a slightly unusual time.

In your position, I'd inject the lantus as per normal, but make sure that you aren't going hypo from the novorapid first. Maybe set an alarm for two hours time just to make sure you're still OK then???

There's a discussion here on the time profile for novorapid which may help.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/novorapid-profile.29923/

(I did this once at a campsite where the only food was my emergency glucose tablets - I ended up scoffing the lot and doing anxious blood tests while I waited to see if my blood sugar would stop dropping....:))

Good luck. Be prepared to do lots of blood tests if you're not sure how much food to take.

Last edited:

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's your insulin to carb ratio? eg if it's 1 unit to 10g then you need 110g of carbs..... If it's 1 to 3 then it would only be 33g.

So, time to enjoy a late night snack....(feast?) Imagine you're just eating a meal at a slightly unusual time.

In your position, I'd inject the lantus as per normal, but make sure that you aren't going hypo from the novorapid first. Maybe set an alarm for two hours time just to make sure you're still OK then???

There's a discussion here on the time profile for novorapid which may help.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/novorapid-profile.29923/

(I did this once at a campsite where the only food was my emergency glucose tablets - I ended up scoffing the lot and doing anxious blood tests while I waited to see if my blood sugar would stop dropping....:))

Good luck. Be prepared to do lots of blood tests if you're not sure how much food to take.

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much Ellie M. I have already taken cornflakes, 2 Alpen bars and an energy gel and my bs are going up, so far so good. I’m not going to sleep yet (but anxious) but will then take Lantus. Thank goodness you confirmed this for me. Loey

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I injected 11 units of Novorapid instead of my night time Lantus a few minutes ago. Is there anything I can do? Thank you. Loey
Eat enough carbs for the novarapid you have taken then take your lantus as usual keep testing and everything should be fine, i have done this myself not so long ago and everthing turned out fine x

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I did exactly the same took 24 units of novorapid instead of lanctus , was a case of lots of sugar TREATS Took lanctus a and tested blood every couple of hours , it turned out fine , and I’m sure it will be same result for yourself , maybe a good idea to get different coloured pens , saying that I’ve still done it with different coloured pens lol maybe it’s because I can be a total numpty sometimes lol
Take care stay safe

MarkHaZ123

Hi I did exactly the same took 24 units of novorapid instead of lanctus , was a case of lots of sugar TREATS Took lanctus a and tested blood every couple of hours , it turned out fine , and I’m sure it will be same result for yourself , maybe a good idea to get different coloured pens , saying that I’ve still done it with different coloured pens lol maybe it’s because I can be a total numpty sometimes lol
Take care stay safe
Ouch. That's alot 24. It's not good knowing you have to eat to cover it, especially if you arent hungry

Iv taken my morning levemir and about half an hour later really panicked that I'd actually taken my quick acting by mistake. Had to really watch my bloods for a couple of hours but thankfully I hadn't taken the wrong one

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Y
Ouch. That's alot 24. It's not good knowing you have to eat to cover it, especially if you arent hungry

Iv taken my morning levemir and about half an hour later really panicked that I'd actually taken my quick acting by mistake. Had to really watch my bloods for a couple of hours but thankfully I hadn't taken the wrong one

Yeah It’s a lot to try and cover but quite a few Mars bars and cans of cola jelly babies etc etc the list is long and full af stuff I rarely eat so was a little bit like Xmas lol. Saying that the feeling after wasn’t good but luckily it was over in about 5 hours .

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you're feeling fine afterwards @Loey1953? I've done that (luckily only once) eventhough I have different coloured pens. As Ellie says, I treated it like I'd injected for a large meal, though I wasn't at all hungry so had to force myself to drink lemonade (really don't like fizzy drinks, but didn't want to use up all my dextro tablets!). Was a bit scary as I naturally eat lowish carb, usually no more than 3 units novorapid at any one meal, ratios fluctuate between 1:10 and 1:15. My housemates found it quite amusing when I started measuring out the lemonade using a measuring jug :D