VLCD success so far

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted a few weeks ago about having a sudden increase in blood sugars, and not wanting to do low carb, high fat.

Had a chat with my lovely GP, who first suggested gastric bypass (I can’t do that, I’m way too scared), so we decided I would do VLCD instead in combination with semaglutide.
Well, it’s not easy. But I’ve done it before, and knew what I was letting myself in for.

but I’m now 4 weeks in. I’ve lost 7.5kg (I think about 17lb). I’ve stopped all diabetic meds except semaglutide and metformin. Blood sugars are down from 25 to about 6.5. And as an added bonus my blood pressure has gone from 140/80 medicated, to about 100/70 unmedicated.

so all I have to do now is just carry on, and basically never eat carbs again!

Reactions: JOC4 and Barneyhawk

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gastric bypass!!!!
Good grief - when there is something so glaringly obvious and absolutely basic as a change in diet to try -
Well - I'm not often lost for words, but I think that has done it.

Reactions: Paulwgun

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Have to agree with the above post.... in regards to gastric bypass, good grief.

Congrats on lowering your levels and weight though, you must be pleased!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good work, @RachelN76 .
As someone who has used the VLCD method I understand your euphoria at your success.
Hope you will therefore excuse my candid opinion... Something I picked up on in your post, “But I’ve done it before”. To make sure you never need to do it again, please make sure you have a follow on plan for how you will eat for the rest of your life. You are right that the carbs need to be considered. Not necessarily never eat them again, if that is setting you up to fail, but low carb would do. Though I would add that several members here thrive without carbs.
Oh and I hope you are having a small amount of oil or fat with your VLCD, as this prevents formation or growth of gallstones.
Best wishes with it all.

Reactions: Barneyhawk

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @Pipp - you’re dead right, I do need a follow on plan, or I will just slip back into my old ways. Again.
I’m not sure what that is going to be yet, but maybe some form of intermittent fasting, and low carb something. I’m vegetarian and I try not to eat eggs or dairy if I can. So proper low carb is really hard. So I might have to do the fasting with as low carb as I can manage.
And yes, the gallstones! I got those after my second pregnancy, and had my gallbladder out a few years ago. But I do wonder what my poor liver thinks I’m doing to it this time!

@Tophat1900 and @Resurgam - I was shocked too at the suggestion of gastric bypass. But I genuinely love this GP and possibly that’s exactly what he wanted to do, because I’ve been gently told to lose weight many times before, and it hasn’t worked. So if he was trying to scare me into doing something - then it worked. And he’s right, there is a lot of evidence for gastric bypass, but it’s really not for me I don’t think.

he also mentioned that if I’m going to consider it, then consider it early enough that my pancreas isn’t ‘completely ********’, because that gives the best results. I’m hoping to speak to him soon, so I hope he’s pleased with what I’ve got so far.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rachel, if it helps I have a friend who paid for a private gastric by pass a few years ago. She lost weight initially but it is creeping back on. She chose it because she could eat anything, just small amounts. But I have seen her 1 biscuit with coffee creep up to 2 biscuits twice a day, puddings and quite a lot of sugar. It's not a healthy diet for a diabetic. I think she has put one least a stone if not more, and it is rising. They aren't the panacea they are made out to be.

Reactions: Nodemus

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But most type twos produce abundant insulin - that's part of the problem.
Vegetarians do have problems doing low carb because there isn't a lot to eat once you've hit your daily limit of carbs, but just staying as low as possible should help.