Alternative natural sweeteners

SamD1994

I'm type 1, and trying to kick artificial sweetnerr like sucralose and aspartame. I did try honey in tea and coffee and take a bit more insulin. Any other ways to sweeten tea and coffee without using artificial sweeteners?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar.
If you can adjust your insulin for honey you can dose for sugar as well.

But if you don't want to use quick acting carbs like sugar or honey, and you don't want to use artificial sweeteners I'm afraid the only alternative is getting used to unsweetened coffee and tea.
I did so, after having had 2 sugars in my coffee for 30 years (and before I got diabetes). It took about 2 or 3 months of forcing myself to drink coffee unsweetened before I got used to it, but now I think sweetened coffee or tea tastes vile.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered Stevia aka sweet leaf which is plant based? It's safe for diabetic use, and available in powdered (either own its own or combined with erythritol) or liquid form, or you can grow your own from seed. Erythritol also occurs naturally in some fruits, so comes from natural rather than completely chemicial/arificial sources. I believe monkfruit is another natural option, but I've not researched that one.

Reactions: SamD1994

SamD1994

I'm going to try 'total sweet' from Holland and barrett, says its natural
Have you considered Stevia aka sweet leaf which is plant based? It's safe for diabetic use, and available in powdered (either own its own or combined with erythritol) or liquid form, or you can grow your own from seed. Erythritol also occurs naturally in some fruits, so comes from natural rather than completely chemicial/arificial sources. I believe monkfruit is another natural option, but I've not researched that one.