What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Did I do yesterday’s food? Don’t think so...

B the glorious Bovril and hot choc
L was pulled pork
D was curry with yog and mango chutney. I made a mistake with that batch. Too liquid, and not fragrant enough.

Yesterday was Tescos delivery day.
Supposed to be at 3-4
So at 2.40 I was upstairs getting dressed for public consumption (I had started work at 7am at the computer, but that didn’t mean I was in a fit state to open the front door. Lol)
then the doorbell went.
The rapid stair descent did something ‘orrible to my gammey knee, and I was VERY unimpressed to open the door to find 2 Tescos deliverers (one a trainee) crowding the doorstep, having dumped all our shopping on the ground, 20 mins early.
No phone call, no social distancing, and the trainee was obviously being trained to sloppy standards.

Am considering a complaint.

Because of wrecked knee it then took 40 mins, using crutches, to get shopping into kitchen and packed away. Which left too much of it sitting in sun on doormat, for too long.
plus

Big hug for your knee playing up - same issues here after tripping over a dog.

My shopping arrived early, too, last week. Due last Friday 2-4 and arrived at 1.15 - ten minutes after he left i got a text to say 'Good news! We will be delivering early.'

I must say I don't like this dumping of shopping in the middle of the garden path BEFORE bothering to find out if you are home and i have complained about it mainly because it wasn't done carefully - two dozen eggs taken off the van first with other (heavier) stuff dumped on top. Scrambled eggs! And, again, some strange subs.I

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and kimchi (nice combination)
Lunch: usual Actimel drink and a bit of cheese - the variety box of cheese they subbed me with is horrible but I hate food waste so slowly working my way through it
Dinner: cannellini beans and wilted spinach with pesto

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Yesterday's dinner
Salmon with ginger,garlic,and spring onions.
The chocolate mug cake, cooked in a tapas dish. Would have made a tower in a mug.
20200601_192644.jpeg
20200601_201132.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb -- How is your brother doing? Keeping my fingers crossed for him.

My brother hasn't even had a sniffle. If the covid positive result was correct, he's got away with it (76 on warfarin and rather elderly heart valve replacement). Maybe we both have the sort of genes that are not seriously effected by this virus. He has had another test, but hasn't had any result from it yet.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep going awol on this thread.
Sunday brekkie was usual, Mr PM offered mt bacon & eggs he was having but I just didnt fancy it. Lunch was h/g salad with shop bought toms & cuke and mature cheese.
Supper was boiled and cooled gammon brocolli and fried cubes aubergine, bit of an odd mix using up veg but was tasty.
Monday was usual brekkie. Lunch was tinned mackerel in rich tom sauce and a small avocado, made a nice change. I wish I could love avos!
Supper was a cheese & mushroom omelette.
Today usual brekkie. Lunch will be slice ham, chunk of cheese and salad.
Supper will be tinned salmon and avo salad with mayo.
You can tell I’m due a Sainsbury top up lol.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sounds good, provided I can find affordable almond meal again :)
Just a few questions:
- Is this granulated sugar substitute about as sweet as sugar? I can handle 3 tablespoons of sugar in a recipe with the ingredients adding up to 1000 grams I guess :)
- What does vanilla come like in your country? I can buy either the natural sticks or a sickly sweet vanilla sugar.
- Not a clue what's in this 'mixed spice' but guessing I'll be fine if I just play around with things like cinnamon, 5-spices, nutmeg, chilli, cardamom, ground cloves and such, right?[/Q
Lidl sells the cheapest ground almonds. Try there .

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Think I also didn’t post yesterday - work been crazy busy. Got up at 3am today (couldn’t sleep) and having played fridge Tetris (trying to source appropriate storage containers and organise shelves accordingly), attempted to log on to work around 4.30 am - access denied! Hunted enough down to make progress locally until service was restored around 9.30am.

Yesterday was definitely a ‘feasting’ day. Can’t remember everything I ate, but it went something like this:

Breakfast - whipped cream, yoghurt and 100% chocolate drops; cold deli meats
Lunch - more salami, Parma ham and chorizo
Dinner - carnivore pizza, bag of Awfully Posh Pork crackling

Today has been an OMAD day - dinner was carnivore pizza again. Topped with chorizo and pepperoni. Followed by a small pot of Greek yoghurt.

@Brunneria and @Chook sorry about the food delivery and dog induced injuries.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 18! Took some insulin with nothing to eat and brought it down about an hour later to 14.5. Still not in any way good, but a bit better.
A bit of a grazing morning - bits of cold, sliced lamb, a banana, a strawberry, a digestive biscuit. Didn't check my BG again - didn't dare.
Bits of meaty things from the ends of packs - sausage, bacon, black pudding plus an egg fried in butter. That won't have helped the BG either.
I received a very nice present from a young friend who thinks I need more contact with the outside world - an Amazon Fire Tablet. He's in Laos and clearly thinks his old "auntie" is missing out on something. It was kind, but it's doing my BP no good at all. His mum showed me how to use it, and it worked fine, but since my instructor left, I can't make it do anything! No point asking Neil, he doesn't approve of these gadgets. Maybe ask Em to come and give me a tutorial. I think I'll just find something to eat to comfort me and give up! Not sure what I have ready to eat though. Plenty more eggs but that's not what I want. Chocolate! I do have most of the Montezuma's 100% buttons in the cupboard. But I really shouldn't.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
Lunch was green salad with cold chicken and some cheddar. Plain yogurt and seeds and berries.
D. Invented a fish and prawn curry that went down well with all. Chopped garlic, ginger and chilli, stirred into greek yoghurt with a spoon or 2 of garam masala. Chunks of white fish marinated for a few hours then cooked with prawns and more yog added at the end. Served with microwaved mixed veg which had teaspoon of curry paste added just before serving. Boys had pilau rice.
One strawberry with double cream and 1 square 85% choc to finish.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Will catch up reading all your entries in a bit but wanted to quickly put down last few days food roughly as have just been too busy - all well here though time demands included taking advantage of new rules to drive 120 miles for a care visit to mum in York’s. Only stayed a few hours before turned round and came home but managed her big job list whilst she sat in the sun in the garden. We wiped everything down after doing jobs and had quick catch up in garden at a distance. She seemed to really appreciate it and benefit from it though and I felt good to have done my bit. We did each drive outward and return without any pit stops to make sure we didn’t risk picking anything up to pass on and we’ve isolated a bit more recently to make sure too we are well though too and mum seems remarkably well just now - long may it continue, at 89 she’s doing well.
Two out of past three days no lunch and one day no breakfast. All dinners mainly meat and veg
Today had:
Two boiled eggs and half slice of lc bread toasted
Dinner marinated chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with extra thick cream.
Hoping to be back to normal recording tomorrow and meanwhile will catch up with others entries.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bits of meaty things from the ends of packs - sausage, bacon, black pudding plus an egg fried in butter. That won't have helped the BG either.
This part sounds perfect for bg! No carbs at all, unless there's a little in the black pudding.
The banana and bisuit are less likely to have done you any favours though.
Hope you feel better now!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I’ve been AWOL recently, but my father was admitted to hospital last week very poorly. I had to come down south to look after my mum. My dad was very quickly diagnosed with widespread cancer which wasn’t treatable. He passed away peacefully in hospital just 48 hours later. We are all in shock and heartbroken :(
Keeping pretty much low carb but blood sugars have gone a bit bonkers! Missing my coconut ‘porridge’, I packed in a hurry so didn’t bring all the weird and wonderful ingredients required for it :grumpy:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IP yoghurt seems to have worked well. @DCUKMod I think I remember you saying you use the whey as a starter for the next batch? Are there any other uses for it ( apart from scones - I’m sure it used to be an ingredient to make scones light and fluffy)

DJC3 - To be honest, I did quite a bit of "normal" baking with the excess whey. It also lasts ages.

Allegedly dogs love it, and allegedly tomatoes, and other "watery veg", like courgettes, also love it. I can't vouch for that for either of those options.

I find I no longer have to strain my yoghurt (I have a batch on now, so hopefully I won't be eating my words tomorrow). On my last batch, I also tried it PIP - albeit only 1 ltr, where I usually make 2ltrs at a time - and that worked very well too, and of course, didn't didn't hog the inner pot for quite so long, although having a second, that's not usually much of an issue here.

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 18! Took some insulin with nothing to eat and brought it down about an hour later to 14.5. Still not in any way good, but a bit better.
A bit of a grazing morning - bits of cold, sliced lamb, a banana, a strawberry, a digestive biscuit. Didn't check my BG again - didn't dare.
I received a very nice present from a young friend who thinks I need more contact with the outside world - an Amazon Fire Tablet. He's in Laos and clearly thinks his old "auntie" is missing out on something. It was kind, but it's doing my BP no good at all. His mum showed me how to use it, and it worked fine, but since my instructor left, I can't make it do anything! No point asking Neil, he doesn't approve of these gadgets. Maybe ask Em to come and give me a tutorial. I think I'll just find something to eat to comfort me and give up! Not sure what I have ready to eat though. Plenty more eggs but that's not what I want. Chocolate! I do have most of the Montezuma's 100% buttons in the cupboard. But I really shouldn't.

YouTube is your friend for tutorials.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I’ve been AWOL recently, but my father was admitted to hospital last week very poorly. I had to come down south to look after my mum. My dad was very quickly diagnosed with widespread cancer which wasn’t treatable. He passed away peacefully in hospital just 48 hours later. We are all in shock and heartbroken :(
Keeping pretty much low carb but blood sugars have gone a bit bonkers! Missing my coconut ‘porridge’, I packed in a hurry so didn’t bring all the weird and wonderful ingredients required for it :grumpy:

Rachox, don't underestimate the power of stress in these circumstances. Your mind and body will be all over the place.

My condolences to you all.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a prize for 4 posts in a row?

In keeping with the thread, dinner this evening was cold cuts from our Sunday roast, accompanied by a huge salad. I may hev swiped a couple of MrB's chips. I just have the scrawny little things that become almost like shrapnel. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I am so, so sorry about your father. My thoughts are with you and you're family at this dreadful time. xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DJC3 - To be honest, I did quite a bit of "normal" baking with the excess whey. It also lasts ages.

Allegedly dogs love it, and allegedly tomatoes, and other "watery veg", like courgettes, also love it. I can't vouch for that for either of those options.

I find I no longer have to strain my yoghurt (I have a batch on now, so hopefully I won't be eating my words tomorrow). On my last batch, I also tried it PIP - albeit only 1 ltr, where I usually make 2ltrs at a time - and that worked very well too, and of course, didn't didn't hog the inner pot for quite so long, although having a second, that's not usually much of an issue here.

Dogs love it but too much has an 'unpleasant ' affect on their digestive systems.... from experience more than half a small mug not a great idea unless you've got a washable floor.... just sayin'

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dogs love it but too much has an 'unpleasant ' affect on their digestive systems.... from experience more than half a small mug not a great idea unless you've got a washable floor.... just sayin'

Blimey. Sometimes being a dog-free zone is a silver lining after all

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh crickey! Thanks for the warning. I’d heard dogs love it but thank goodness haven’t given any to Dennis yet. We have cream carpets!

Reactions: maglil55