Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Just received this (authenticated to my satisfaction) email warning about a Track and Trace scam that may snare the unwary.

(obviously, just because I have authenticated it to my satisfaction does NOT mean you should assume the same, so please take your usual precautions when following any link below)

—————————-

We would like to make you aware of the latest scam in relation to the NHS Track and Trace service, where you receive a fake message which may look like this:

upload_2020-6-2_11-9-38.jpeg

This is a perfect opportunity for fraudsters to use this as a means of tricking you to believe it is genuine and attempt to steal your data or install malware onto your devices.

Please also be aware of other related Track and Trace scams which may come from other sources including email, fake websites, and telephone calls.

How to tell if it is genuine
The authentic test and trace website has the address ‘contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/sign-in’. You should always type this into your browser rather than following a link, which may be fake. If someone gives you a different address, it’s probably an attempt at fraud.

For further information relating to NHS Track and Trace https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works

For more information about this scam and other helpful advice to keep you safe on line, visit https://www.getsafeonline.org/news/public-warned-about-test-and-trace-scams/

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thanks for that, the information is useful. I use to take elderly people (>85) shopping in a minibus and they all have computers and smart phones. It's just that there not very 'au fait' so anything like this is useful to me and for me to pass on. Cheers.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I am unable to get this to address to work - address ‘contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/sign-in’.

Could you offer further advice please?

The page opens with the following:

NHS Test and Trace

BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Page not found
If you typed the web address, check it is correct.

If you pasted the web address, check you copied the entire address.

If the web address is correct or you selected a link or button, contact the NHS Test and Trace helpdesk if you need to speak to someone.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am unable to get this to address to work - address ‘contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/sign-in’.

Could you offer further advice please?

The page opens with the following:

NHS Test and Trace

BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

That is probably because the service is still new and getting up and running.
There is mention of ‘beta’ on the page, so probably still testing.

My original post was warning people of a fraudulent scam, not providing, or encouraging, forum members to sign up for beta testing the Track and Trace Setup. Of course, if you want to pursue that, you are welcome to do so, but that is something you can investigate.

dragongirl

Northumbria Police sent this out to us:
If you're worried about fraudsters claiming to be from NHS Test and Trace - take note of this advice.

If NHS Test and Trace calls you it will be from their single number 0300 0135 000

The only website to visit is: contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk

⚠️Contact tracers will never ask you to do the following (see attachment)

If you tell me how to add a screenshot of the attachment I will! But it's the usual no-nos scammers always ask you to do. Such as dialling a premium rate number, asking you to pay, details of bank account, social media identities or logins (ditto of contacts), passwords or PINS, purchase anything, download software to your device, or allow them to access it, or go to another website.

Reactions: Struma

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Northumbria Police sent this out to us:
If you're worried about fraudsters claiming to be from NHS Test and Trace - take note of this advice.

If NHS Test and Trace calls you it will be from their single number 0300 0135 000

The only website to visit is: contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk

⚠️Contact tracers will never ask you to do the following (see attachment)

If you tell me how to add a screenshot of the attachment I will! But it's the usual no-nos scammers always ask you to do. Such as dialling a premium rate number, asking you to pay, details of bank account, social media identities or logins (ditto of contacts), passwords or PINS, purchase anything, download software to your device, or allow them to access it, or go to another website.
Next to the green Post Reply button there is an Upload a File button. There is a limit on the file size though.

D

Deleted member 308541

Just received this (authenticated to my satisfaction) email warning about a Track and Trace scam that may snare the unwary.
This made me wonder how our CovidSafe tracking app reports back to the government, if contact has been made you get a request either by phone or text to upload the data from your phone.

You are given a six digit pin number code to enter into the app, which then allows you to the upload page.

dnALYtT.jpg

We have not had to use it, but it appears to be scam proof to me.

Edit: Resize pix.

Last edited by a moderator: