Honeymoon phase

C

CelalDari

I’ve been searching the internet for ages and can’t find what I’m looking for. I’ve been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 5-6 week ago and taking insulin treatment. Because of the whole coronavirus situation the hospital is so unhelpful, I had to teach myself how much bolus to give, how to carb count and using the 1:10 ratio. Obviously I let my medical team know that I am sometimes adjusting my basal and bolus depending on the day. I just have a few questions in mind.

On average what percentage of newly diagnosed T1D experience the honeymoon phase? I’m pretty sure not everyone experiences it. It can be a rough percentage I don’t mind.

How will I know if I’m going through it? Right now my blood glucose management is excellent but I’m not using less insulin. I’m using a 1:10 ratio and it is working out perfectly (sometimes too perfect). When people say you use less insulin during the honeymoon phase do they mean basal or bolus? I suppose my basal is quite low 16 units when my body weight is around 59kg. I’ve heard somewhere that using less than 0.5u of basal/ kg/ day is considered the honeymoon phase but can you guys comment on this?

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
All I can comment on really is my own personal experience. I think most of us experience it but don't know it is over until things start to change.
Like you the type 1 thing seemed a relatively easy beast to control for a few months, while your pancreas it still producing some insulin and it has been kick started so to speak because you are now injecting.
We all are different however and you will hopefully hear from many wiser ones than I.
The fact that you feel control is good is because it is easier during the honeymoon phase. It's when those wild swings hit that you think, aahh, that's what they meant.
Essentially when it becomes more difficult. I suppose to keep on an even keel.
Sorry if this is a rubbish explanation.
Maybe download the Carbs and Cals app, it's a good go too.
It will get easier and hopefully you'll soon get more support, I know it is trickier at the moment.
Good luck.
Hope this helps

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't think that knowing a percentage will be in any way helpful. It could be 99% or it could be 1% . Your diabetes is unique to you so please don't worry about everyone else's

In contrast to @hodders above, my honeymoon phase was characterized by fluctuating blood glucose levels that were difficult to control, because the pancreas can produce insulin when it's not expected. For me, it lasted around 12 weeks.

So if your levels are fairly flat then you may either be producing a little insulin at a constant rate or you are not having a honeymoon phase at all.

I don't know where you got that 0.5u per kg per day figure from. But if it's true then I am still in the honeymoon phase after 6 years, which is unlikely. Again, your basal requirement is different to everyone else's and is dependent on many things.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My LADA had a honeymoon phase of around 7 years (yes!) during which time my Basal needs have gradually increased and my Bolus ratio has changed to needing more insulin per carb unit. So if you are still in the honeymoon and you find your BS creeping up over weeks/months and you may need to increase both Basal and Bolus. I'm not sure why my Basal needs have increased as my BMI is still good and hence not much if any insulin resistance and we are talking about the liver and not the pancreas. We are all different.....

JosieMcGreal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Suffer with OCD and anxiety since age 7
I was diagnosed with Type 1 May 2019 and I'm still in my honeymoon phase. There's been some signs where I've thought that I'm out of it but nope. Still going strong a year later ha ha

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at age 43 and still producing some insulin 3 years later. I was on a trial where they ran glucose tests and my pancreas was described as "sluggish". It takes a long time to wake up but can then sometimes pump out insulin of its own accord - led to some nasty hypos.

I think it's slowing down though because my hypos are a lot less and I'm having to increase my insulin now to keep levels under control.

Bishop

Being on the honeymoon is just helping your treatment. In my case, I needed little to none insulin for some of the meals.
Don't stress too much with details, focus on the great picture which is great blood sugars. If you get that you are good, how you get there and how much insulin you need is less important.

Edited by moderator to remove promotional material

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KK123