What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC3 - To be honest, I did quite a bit of "normal" baking with the excess whey. It also lasts ages.

Allegedly dogs love it, and allegedly tomatoes, and other "watery veg", like courgettes, also love it. I can't vouch for that for either of those options.

I find I no longer have to strain my yoghurt (I have a batch on now, so hopefully I won't be eating my words tomorrow). On my last batch, I also tried it PIP - albeit only 1 ltr, where I usually make 2ltrs at a time - and that worked very well too, and of course, didn't didn't hog the inner pot for quite so long, although having a second, that's not usually much of an issue here.

Very helpful thank you. I was going to ask about PIP too so that’s answered my question. We have some tomatoes growing so that’s a great tip.
Did you also say you can freeze it and it’ll still work as the starter culture?
I will carry on straining as I gather the whey has a lot of the lactose in it which is a high fodmap food my daughter’s supposed to be avoiding.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I’ve been AWOL recently, but my father was admitted to hospital last week very poorly. I had to come down south to look after my mum. My dad was very quickly diagnosed with widespread cancer which wasn’t treatable. He passed away peacefully in hospital just 48 hours later. We are all in shock and heartbroken :(
Keeping pretty much low carb but blood sugars have gone a bit bonkers! Missing my coconut ‘porridge’, I packed in a hurry so didn’t bring all the weird and wonderful ingredients required for it :grumpy:

I’m so sorry for all of you, what a shock. I’m amazed you are managing to keep low carb in such circumstances, but not at all surprised your blood sugars have gone bonkers.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I’m really glad you were able to visit your mum again, it must have been wonderful for you both.
@Goonergal hugs for the busy workload I can’t believe you started your day at 3:30!
@Annb I’d definitely ask Em about your Tablet. I always find that asking the youngest person in the room about anything techy is the best option.
Lunch today 2 chicken wings air fried ( marinated overnight in garlic, lemon and olive oil) 1DGF salted caramel blondie with clotted cream.
Dinner very late, I should have continued the fast but daughter came home from her first day as a paid nurse ( even though only 2nd yr student) after 12hr shift and I wanted to sit and eat and chat with her while she was having her dinner. I had a cobbled together salad of deli turkey, lettuce, 1/2 avocado and cream cheese. 2 glasses red.
@Brunneria ouch for the knee. Hope it’s better after resting tonight.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I’ve been AWOL recently, but my father was admitted to hospital last week very poorly. I had to come down south to look after my mum. My dad was very quickly diagnosed with widespread cancer which wasn’t treatable. He passed away peacefully in hospital just 48 hours later. We are all in shock and heartbroken :(
Keeping pretty much low carb but blood sugars have gone a bit bonkers! Missing my coconut ‘porridge’, I packed in a hurry so didn’t bring all the weird and wonderful ingredients required for it :grumpy:

So sorry Rachox to read about your father. Hug and deepest sympathy for you and your family.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh crickey! Thanks for the warning. I’d heard dogs love it but thank goodness haven’t given any to Dennis yet. We have cream carpets!

You are brave having cream carpets with a dog!! My dogs all love dairy and a small amount is okay but I've learned to be careful with it. I used to use very small cubes of cheese as a training aide nowadays we use raw carrot or apple instead.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for something ready to eat, I found a pack of haddock right on its use-by date so I thought I'd better use it. I cut it into strips and tossed it in chopped mixed nuts and fried it. Either that fish was very tasteless, or my taste buds have gone AWOL again. Actually, the nuts didn't taste of much either, so maybe it is me.

I told Neil about my new toy and how I couldn't remember how to get back onto Zoom. He refused to have anything to do with and objected to me using it. Zoom, apparently, is a huge security risk but other people use it, don't they and no-one seems to think it's a problem. "More fool them, then!" says Neil and walked away. No help there, then. I'll try You Tube and, failing that, call for Em or Braidie. Need to sort it out before Saturday because my friend has arranged a Zoom session and is expecting me to join it. Then another one on Monday.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very helpful thank you. I was going to ask about PIP too so that’s answered my question. We have some tomatoes growing so that’s a great tip.
Did you also say you can freeze it and it’ll still work as the starter culture?
I will carry on straining as I gather the whey has a lot of the lactose in it which is a high fodmap food my daughter’s supposed to be avoiding.

Yes, I used a stainless bowl, which is one of a set of three, from Lidl, which happens to have a lid, which is an added convenience, for the chilling part. Straight into the bottom of the inner pot - no water, but make sure you can get it out again at the end! It could also be stored in it too, but I prefer to decant to some tallish, rectangular clip-top containers. They're more space saving in fridges.

I gather you can freeze and wake it up again, although if I were doing that, I'd probably whack in a bit more than usual, just in case.

I found using whey, I reverted to a "traditional" yoghurt started every 6 or so batches.

The reason I was experimenting with PIP is I really should try going lacto-free, so would like to experiment with different milks, initially in smaller batches.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast scrambled eggs with butter on two small slices of pain kapnor toast. CWh&H
CWC
no lunch.
Shopping done. No cauliflower in either shop, or celeriac. Will be eating buttered cabbage instead.
Dinner salmon as yesterday, but with few oven cgips as running out of cauli rice, no pudding but had a chunk of cheese. Glass of white wine.
Later cup of tea.
@Rachox how horrible for you all, sudden death is always such a shock. My sympathies to you and your family.
@Annb I have an Amazon fire and don't get on with it at all. Find it too heavy and the dependence on Wi-Fi is irritating. If I am reading ebooks prefer to use the Amazon kindle app on my phone.
I have been told Zoom is only a security risk if you will be discussing confidential matters...and are likely to be targeted. So not good for industry, ok for family chat.
@Antje77 Not sure if I mentioned this before, Lidl do ground almonds at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I love my Fire tablets but I don't know how to use Zoom on them. Over the years Mr C has got me more modern ones but the old ones are all still function okay. I've got four now plus a PC, a laptop AND a smart phone. (You can tell he really doesn't know what else to get me for birthdays and Christmas.) I can't wait to see what he gets me for my birthday this year - he got me a couple more Amazon Dots at Christmas - I think he's running out of ideas. You can't say the word 'Alexa' in this house without half a dozen pieces of tech all responding at the same time.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and kimchi
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: Greek Butter beans, feta and salad

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb I have an Amazon fire and don't get on with it at all. Find it too heavy and the dependence on Wi-Fi is irritating. If I am reading ebooks prefer to use the Amazon kindle app on my phone.
I have been told Zoom is only a security risk if you will be discussing confidential matters...and are likely to be targeted. So not good for industry, ok for family chat.
@Antje77 Not sure if I mentioned this before, Lidl do ground almonds at a reasonable price.

My friend had actually set up Zoom and the tablet before she left, but I just couldn't get into it. Finally found that by speaking very clearly and deliberately, Alexa would turn it on for me. I don't intend to use it for anything but Zoom, so it should be fine, as long as it recognises my voice.

I had some yoghurt reaching the end of its useful life so decided to try making a lower carb flatbread, using the waterchestnut flour plus salt, plus bicarb and a little olive oil. It wasn't great, but it was bread; had 2 pieces of it with butter and Marmite for a very late breakfast. FBG 7.7 - not bad for me these days - 2 hours after breakfast BG 16.1! I'd taken extra insulin as well, just in case. So, I guess the waterchestnut flour is as bad as any other although it is supposed to be lower in carbs.

I have some smoked mackerel that needs using up so it had better be smoked mackerel salad tonight. Still haven't made mayonnaise, but I'll just have a simple dressing on the salad - certainly won't be using the Heinz "light" one. Should just bite the bullet and throw it in the bin, but I do hate throwing food in the bin.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Rachox so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

One proper meal today - dinner of mince fried with onions and 2 eggs. Just realised I forgot the cheese as I was typing!
Earlier in the day ‘lunch’ of Greek yoghurt and almond butter (yes, succumbed again) and then some cream with almond butter.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I used a stainless bowl, which is one of a set of three, from Lidl, which happens to have a lid, which is an added convenience, for the chilling part. Straight into the bottom of the inner pot - no water, but make sure you can get it out again at the end! It could also be stored in it too, but I prefer to decant to some tallish, rectangular clip-top containers. They're more space saving in fridges.

I gather you can freeze and wake it up again, although if I were doing that, I'd probably whack in a bit more than usual, just in case.

I found using whey, I reverted to a "traditional" yoghurt started every 6 or so batches.

The reason I was experimenting with PIP is I really should try going lacto-free, so would like to experiment with different milks, initially in smaller batches.

I have those Lidl bowls too - in fact I think it was you who recommended them! They are brilliant.
I was tutting to myself earlier about the number of different types of milk we now have - lc almond milk for my tea, lacto free for daughter’s dodgy tum, plain fresh milk for Mr C and UHT whole milk for yoghurt.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Rachox so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

One proper meal today - dinner of mince fried with onions and 2 eggs. Just realised I forgot the cheese as I was typing!
Earlier in the day ‘lunch’ of Greek yoghurt and almond butter (yes, succumbed again) and then some cream with almond butter.

I found some almond butter which had miraculously appeared in my cupboard last week too!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found some almond butter which had miraculously appeared in my cupboard last week too!

I wouldn’t mind but I had a 35 minute window between meetings and went on a round trip to drop off parcels at a Hermes point and then a Collect+ point (different directions) and post some cards. Shopping wasn’t on the agenda at all. Was quicker than I thought so popped into a deli and spotted the almond butter. Then managed to find time to pick up cream and arrive home with 3 minutes to spare before the meeting.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have those Lidl bowls too - in fact I think it was you who recommended them! They are brilliant.
I was tutting to myself earlier about the number of different types of milk we now have - lc almond milk for my tea, lacto free for daughter’s dodgy tum, plain fresh milk for Mr C and UHT whole milk for yoghurt.

When I read your milk comments, I was hoping you would mention UHT Goat or Ewe's milk.

Yes, those bowls are about perfect for the job.

Reactions: Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fishy day for me. Usual black coffee this morning.
Lunch; tuna, h/m mayo spring onion, spinach and avocado. Then 2 strawberries and a spoonful of the h/m yoghurt. It really is gorgeous - thicker and creamier than any I’ve tried from a shop.
Dinner - salmon fillet with lemon butter, cauliflower and spinach. 1 DGF salted caramel blondie with a spoonful of clotted cream.
Raspberry gin&soda.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox hugs and kind thoughts heading your way not at all surprised about your bgs stress and upset really mess mine up regardless of what I eat! Take care and be kind to yourself.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg( a double Yoker made my day I’m easily pleased!) and half slice of toasted lc bread
Dinner a few cheesies while cooking - then a pork chop, stuffed mushrooms, celeriac chips and asparagus with glass of dry Soave followed by lc raspberry mousse with one strawberry and spoon of yoghurt.
Persistent rain gave me permission to stay indoors and do loads of outstanding indoors tasks. I feel compelled to be outdoors when the sun shines!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fishy day for me. Usual black coffee this morning.
Lunch; tuna, h/m mayo spring onion, spinach and avocado. Then 2 strawberries and a spoonful of the h/m yoghurt. It really is gorgeous - thicker and creamier than any I’ve tried from a shop.
Dinner - salmon fillet with lemon butter, cauliflower and spinach. 1 DGF salted caramel blondie with a spoonful of clotted cream.
Raspberry gin&soda.

You do realise my regular yoghurt is a reason I have 2 IPs?

Just sayin'