Type 1 Type 1, type of insulin you use?

Shaun*

As i am newly diagnosed was wondering how many people in the same category/circumstances as me and if on the same type of medication?

I’m 31, 10 stone 10 lbs, generally fit and healthy.

Currently on daily shot of Tresiba (12 units) and using Fiasp (Adjusted to carb intake) for meals.

Was diagnosed due to being around 25.5mmol/l and emitted to hospital and now use insulin to try and keep them down, anyone else the same I as I notice from reading a lot of posts most people are opposite running low?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect the insulin that newly diagnosed people end up on is dependent on what the local hospital prefers at the time (and this preference I suspect does not change that often).

Personally I am also on Tresiba and Fiasp, but I was diagnosed, ahem, before you were born :) - though only been on those two for about the last 1-2 years after convincing my consultant that I needed to change from the previous two that I'd been on for about 2 decades (give or take).

Most T1's are diagnosed with very high blood sugar levels, and the challenge is to get them down (without hypo'ing)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was diagnosed due to being around 25.5mmol/l and emitted to hospital and now use insulin to try and keep them down, anyone else the same I as I notice from reading a lot of posts most people are opposite running low?
Going low is a result of using insulin. It's a very fine line we have to walk to keep our blood glucose at healthy low levels with insulin but not too low.

For instance: Yesterday I managed to end up at a perfect 5.2 a couple of hours after lunch. I injected for the beer I was going to drink. Looked like it would be an easy managed diabetes day.
Right after injecting I found out the goats had trampled the fence around the chicken/rabbit pen and the rabbits were now loose in the garden. I had to get them back in their pen before they were caught by the dogs or would hide where I wouldn't be able to find them.

A perfect recipe for a low blood sugar. I avoided it by eating half an apple while quickly catching goats, rabbits and chickens, and do a temporary repair job on the fence before drinking my beer. I. My bg was 3.9 at that point, so very close to a hypo. All because of some unplanned activity.

Being newly diagnosed your blood glucose is likely still running a bit higher than nomal because you're still working out the right doses for you. If you're bg is, say, 12, there's a lot more room before you drop below 4 than when you start out with my 5.2.

And I'm also on Tresiba and Fiasp. I like those insulins a lot better than other insulins I have used :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been on a number of insulin regimes in my fifty years of T1, starting with two doses of mixed short and long acting animal insulins, moving to basal/bolus "human" insulins (ultratard? or insulatard and actrapid) and for the last ten years or so, lantus and humalog.
Not really sure that the new insulins are any better, though I much prefer a basal/bolus regime to the fixed dose I had as a child. A cynic might say that the manufacturers just like to keep changing the formulations so that they can keep them in patent....

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , hope all are safe? As ti which type of insulin I have had ,they start of as porcien and then on to Novarapid and levimer , one a fast acting and the other slow release and after 59years and 10 months still breathing!

Reactions: Antje77

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get the impression many GPs and consultants just do a Lucky-Dip when it comes to the insulins they prescribe for Basal/Bolus. Lantus is often the Basal as it's cheap and pretty good. Levemir is very popular and slightly more predictable than Lantus. Tresiba is one of the newer ones. Fiasp is also very new and is an alternative to NovoRapid where you want really fast action. I have only ever used Levemir and NovoRapid.

Shaun*

Did anyone have blurry vision at the start? I feel as if I’ve been wearing 3d glasses for 3 days now

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a pump so only use novorapid. When I was diagnosed and for several years before lantus became available, I was on a variety of mixtards. When I was a teenager and lantus was licenced for children, I went onto that with novorapid and stayed on that until I got my pump

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone have blurry vision at the start? I feel as if I’ve been wearing 3d glasses for 3 days now
Normal and it will settle in a while! Your eyes are used to high levels of glucose, they need to adjust again to healthier levels :)

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had blurry vision but for a little while before I was diagnosed without really noticing as it had gradually developed. I was diagnosed with DKA too so my blood glucose levels were very high and had been for a while. My diabetes team told me they were lowering my blood glucose levels in stages, which is perhaps what your team are doing? I'd check with them what their plan is. I was in hospital for a week when i was diagnosed, but then if I'm remembering correctly, I was told to aim to keep levels at 15 for a week, then 10 for a week, then 8 for a week, before being told to aim for between 4-8 at least a month in. I feel awful if my blood yoyos so I'm glad I was brought to normal levels in stages! My vision was back to what I remember as normal within a fortnight (long distance had returned to normal within a month). Talk to your diabetes team so they're aware of your blurry vision too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there @Shaun* I use NovoRapid x 3 and Tresiba x 1, on 10 units now, previously 12.