Metformin issues

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Hi does anybody have issues with metfirmin, i am on 2x500 per day and it makes me sick to the stomach. I have been on it fir over a year now.....i also take blood pressure tabs and have diviticulitus.....anybidy help ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi does anybody have issues with metfirmin, i am on 2x500 per day and it makes me sick to the stomach. I have been on it fir over a year now.....i also take blood pressure tabs and have diviticulitus.....anybidy help ?
Diverticulitis with metformin thrown upon it? I'm surprised you're not curled up in a miserable ball all day. The metformin side effects should abate in about 2 weeks. If they don't, then metformin isn't really for you, and you should've been taken off of it ages ago. Just my opinion. (I was absolutely miserable while going through Metformin Hell!)

Due to metformin's side effects I was switched to gliclazide instead, which has its own issues here and there... So while I was dealing with all that I decided to try the low carb way of eating, and in a few weeks time I didn't need either one. (And am off the statins for cholesterol too). So... Odds are you can do without met perfectly fine if you low carb from here on in. What's your meter telling you? How are your blood sugars throughout the day and what are you currently eating?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is some talk of metformin being of therapeutic use for diverticular disease.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00365521.2017.1325930?journalCode=igas20

But many people find metformin has some pretty drastic effects and can't tolerate it some find slow release metformin is easier to tolerate but if metformin in all it's forms is not for you then there are alternatives that you should talk over with your doctor.

Many just don't bother with it as it's effects on blood sugars are quite minimal though it is helpful in many other ways such as lowering fasting blood sugar levels by stopping the liver from pushing out too much glucose.

Edit to add

There is of course the fact that if you are not on a diabetes medication such as metformin or a another then you if in the UK will not qualify as far as I'm aware for free prescriptions not necessarily a major consideration but something to be aware of.

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Diverticulitis with metformin thrown upon it? I'm surprised you're not curled up in a miserable ball all day. The metformin side effects should abate in about 2 weeks. If they don't, then metformin isn't really for you, and you should've been taken off of it ages ago. Just my opinion. (I was absolutely miserable while going through Metformin Hell!)

Due to metformin's side effects I was switched to gliclazide instead, which has its own issues here and there... So while I was dealing with all that I decided to try the low carb way of eating, and in a few weeks time I didn't need either one. (And am off the statins for cholesterol too). So... Odds are you can do without met perfectly fine if you low carb from here on in. What's your meter telling you? How are your blood sugars throughout the day and what are you currently eating?

Hello, my 14 day average on 2 chks per day are 7.8.....I'm starting today with just 50 carbs per day to see if that helps. I have lost over 2 stone now so hoping that helps also....I normally take 1 met before bed but may change this as I feel sick on awakening.....after eating it goes to about 9.5 but then returns to mid 7s and sometimes high 6s....will plenty of juice help ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, my 14 day average on 2 chks per day are 7.8.....I'm starting today with just 50 carbs per day to see if that helps. I have lost over 2 stone now so hoping that helps also....I normally take 1 met before bed but may change this as I feel sick on awakening.....after eating it goes to about 9.5 but then returns to mid 7s and sometimes high 6s....will plenty of juice help ?
Woa! Juice?! No, please, no juice! ;)

Your numbers are looking pretty good, and that'll have more to do with your lowering your carb intake than with the metformin. You could drop down a bit lower, maybe? I've just had a very filling breakfast/lunch with about 3 or 4 grams of carbs, that's a can of tuna, mayo, two eggs, capers, olives, and an excellent goat milk-based cappuccino, as cow dairy doesn't agree with me. I won't feel hungry until dinner, or well beyond! Only reason I eat around 5 is because my husband'll want his grub. I could go without longer. just an idea... I think if you get your numbers a TAD bit lower, you can discuss going off met with your doc... You're just a hair's breath away, from the sound of it.

Back to juice: assuming you mean fruit juice. Fruit is jam-packed with sugars (fructose and glucose). That's why the bulk of us avoid all of it save for berries, tomatoes, starfruit and avocado. Vits and mins can be gotten from extra veggies or (organ) meat. Anyway, lots and lots of sugar in fruit. And if you eat the fruit whole, that's bad enough. But if you have it juiced, all the fibres are shredded... And that means they don't slow down the uptake of the sugar in your bloodstream. You'll go VERY high, VERY fast. Don't bother checking bloods 2 hours after juice. Test half an hour afterwards and you'll be in shock. About 2 years after diagnosis I was well on my way with low carb, and during a show's intermission there were drinks... Only things left to choose from were wine and juice, and since I'm rather teetotal these days, I went for the OJ, as a one-off. Within five minutes my heart was racing, my cheeks were flushed and I felt absolutely dreadful. Like I was going to drop dead on the spot. (Could thankfully go back to my seat, but really? I just wanted to go home!). Also.... Fructose is regarded as a toxin by the liver. Not good if you have non alcoholic fatty liver disease and don't want it to get worse.

Just something to consider. You're better off with tea, coffee or water. Or hey.... Cappuccino. ;)

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Woa! Juice?! No, please, no juice! ;)

Your numbers are looking pretty good, and that'll have more to do with your lowering your carb intake than with the metformin. You could drop down a bit lower, maybe? I've just had a very filling breakfast/lunch with about 3 or 4 grams of carbs, that's a can of tuna, mayo, two eggs, capers, olives, and an excellent goat milk-based cappuccino, as cow dairy doesn't agree with me. I won't feel hungry until dinner, or well beyond! Only reason I eat around 5 is because my husband'll want his grub. I could go without longer. just an idea... I think if you get your numbers a TAD bit lower, you can discuss going off met with your doc... You're just a hair's breath away, from the sound of it.

Back to juice: assuming you mean fruit juice. Fruit is jam-packed with sugars (fructose and glucose). That's why the bulk of us avoid all of it save for berries, tomatoes, starfruit and avocado. Vits and mins can be gotten from extra veggies or (organ) meat. Anyway, lots and lots of sugar in fruit. And if you eat the fruit whole, that's bad enough. But if you have it juiced, all the fibres are shredded... And that means they don't slow down the uptake of the sugar in your bloodstream. You'll go VERY high, VERY fast. Don't bother checking bloods 2 hours after juice. Test half an hour afterwards and you'll be in shock. About 2 years after diagnosis I was well on my way with low carb, and during a show's intermission there were drinks... Only things left to choose from were wine and juice, and since I'm rather teetotal these days, I went for the OJ, as a one-off. Within five minutes my heart was racing, my cheeks were flushed and I felt absolutely dreadful. Like I was going to drop dead on the spot. (Could thankfully go back to my seat, but really? I just wanted to go home!). Also.... Fructose is regarded as a toxin by the liver. Not good if you have non alcoholic fatty liver disease and don't want it to get worse.

Just something to consider. You're better off with tea, coffee or water. Or hey.... Cappuccino. ;)
Haha no juice then, I actually ment no added sugar water added soft juice, the metformin does not give me tummy issues as such but a feeling of car sickness and a bit of off baĺance....I was thinking of dropping back to 1 a day and watch my numbers....I think you are correct tho the carbs and weight loss should all help, I was around 25 stone a month ago and now down to under 23.....long road hey

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha no juice then, I actually ment no added sugar water added soft juice, the metformin does not give me tummy issues as such but a feeling of car sickness and a bit of off baĺance....I was thinking of dropping back to 1 a day and watch my numbers....I think you are correct tho the carbs and weight loss should all help, I was around 25 stone a month ago and now down to under 23.....long road hey
It is a long road, but you are making quite a bit of progress! Don't underestimate the mountains you're moving right now. Aaaand I don't know what soft juice is (I'm Dutch, sorry), so without a brand I can't look up the nutritional information/ingredients, and cheat everyone into thinking I actually am this great diabetes-sage-guru-type. ;) The metformin can certainly cause that car-sickness-y sensation, so cutting back a bit while keeping an eye on your numbers could well be worth a shot. As you lose weight, your insulin sensitivity should gradually improve as it is, so yeah... I think metformin won't be required as much, or at all, in the near future. ;)

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
It's no added sugar vimto squash, and around 4 large glasses per day?....

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to ask the GP for Metformin SR (Slow Release). As you have Diverticulitis the GP should have prescribed that anyway and not the standard version. If you are on the SR version, I would ask the GP to stop it as it doesn't help BS that much and a low-carb diet is far more important.

Reactions: Gricep

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's no added sugar vimto squash, and around 4 large glasses per day?....
Vimto is fine, just keep in mind that if you start experiencing bloating or constipation, it could be down to the artificial sweeteners. (Too much of them are toxic to gut bacteria, and you need those little ones to live!). If it gives no issues at all though, have at it! :)

Reactions: Gricep

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Vimto is fine, just keep in mind that if you start experiencing bloating or constipation, it could be down to the artificial sweeteners. (Too much of them are toxic to gut bacteria, and you need those little ones to live!). If it gives no issues at all though, have at it! :)
Thank you x