Empagliflozin and infection prevention

Bo_Boughasky

Hi, I just started on that and I'm warned by my GP that it can produce a lot of fungal infections of penis glans. As far as I know best prevention is washing after peeing, every time, then drying thoroughly, but what do I do if I have to pee in a place where I don't have facilities to wash afterwards? Does anybody have any tips, any wet wipes to carry with me?

Lovodale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on canigliflozin just over a year ago and had to be taken off it because my prostate seized up. I have an enlarged prostate which need treatment beyond pull medication but that seems unavailable. Recently I was put on Empaglifozin and the same thing happened. I now no longer trust the nurse to know what is right for me. With a healthy prostate it may have been a good drug, but with a dicky prostate it’s not for me. In desperation, because my BG is elevated, I am going to insist on a referral to an endocrinologist which is what happens automatically in numerous countries. Only the when I believe that my Type II might relieve proper treatment. My practice diabetic nurse had nor even heard of Diabetes.Co.uk. At my wits end here

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on empaglilozin for 1 year, I was told just to make sure I drink plenty, which I do. Have had no problem with fungal infection or prostate.
My bg numbers are much lower than they used to be.
This is as well as sticking to a low carb diet.

• Agree
Reactions: lessci

Belles

I am on empagliaflozin and I’m female, I have had the worst reaction to it! My genital area is inflamed and I often find it hard to walk or even wear underwear. I’m going to ask my doc to take me off it. I think it’s the worst medication that’s out there and I just hate it :(

• Hug
Reactions: SJXX and EllieM

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have twice been put on dapagliflozin for my heart, and both times have been a disaster. It does nothing for my bgl levels, but I had a major fungal infection of candida albicans that needed a powerful antibiotic to shift, and this last time I started getting anal fissures which apparently can become gangrenous with this med and the sugar waste. I have never been so constipated in my long life before meeting up with this med, and I was not impressed. We are not amused however much we wee.