Chromium Picolinate advice please

paulandbez

Hi all

On the diabetes.co.uk website it says the following, "To assess whether to take chromium, patients should discuss their individual situation carefully with a healthcare expert.". This is talking about Chromium Picolinate. I contacted my diabetes nurse and she said she could not give any advice about "herbal supplements". Obviously she did not do any research because she would have known its not herbal! Frustrating. So, I would like to know others experience of using this as a supplement, good or bad when it comes to helping with diabetes type 2. Many thanks. PS I promise I will not take anyone to court or seek any legal advice for any advice given regarding my question :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a supplement, they are not interested unless they were prescribed by them.

Is there a blood test you could have done to identify any deficiencies you may have?

paulandbez

It's a supplement, they are not interested unless they were prescribed by them.

Is there a blood test you could have done to identify any deficiencies you may have?
Hi xfielddok
Thanks for your reply. Thats a good thought about a blood test. I'm not sure so I'll look into that. It would be helpful to see others experiences with this supplement. I suspect that there will be quite difference in the recommended daily dosage and the amount actually taken to make a difference to blood sugar readings.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi xfielddok
Thanks for your reply. Thats a good thought about a blood test. I'm not sure so I'll look into that. It would be helpful to see others experiences with this supplement. I suspect that there will be quite difference in the recommended daily dosage and the amount actually taken to make a difference to blood sugar readings.

Why do you want to take it?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One reason some may want to take it.

"It May Improve Blood Sugar
In healthy people, the hormone insulin has an important role in signaling the body to bring blood sugar into the cells of the body.
In people with diabetes, there are problems with the body’s normal response to insulin.
Several studies have indicated that taking chromium supplements can improve blood sugar for those with diabetes (7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).
One study found that 16 weeks of 200 μg/day of chromium was able to lower blood sugar and insulin while improving the body’s response to insulin (8Trusted Source).
Other research has shown that those with higher blood sugar and lower insulin sensitivity may respond better to chromium supplements (9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).
Additionally, in a large study of over 62,000 adults, the likelihood of having diabetes was 27% lower in those who took dietary supplements containing chromium (11Trusted Source).
However, other studies of three or more months of chromium supplementation have not shown improved blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes (12Trusted Source).
What’s more, research in obese adults without diabetes found that 1,000 μg/day of chromium picolinate did not improve the body’s response to insulin (13Trusted Source).
In fact, a large examination of 425 healthy people found that chromium supplements did not alter sugar or insulin levels (14Trusted Source).
Overall, some benefits of taking these supplements have been seen in those with diabetes but not in every instance."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/chromium-picolinate

Reactions: AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, from me to all of the above! :).

When I was first diagnosed and very sick I figured my poor ol' body was in a very bad way (it sure was), so I got really into nutrition information to try and get the ol' bod functioning well (or - you know - merely better) again.

Yeah - and chromium picolnate was one of the supplements I took, for the reasons @JohnEGreen quotes up there.

To supplement or not is one of THOSE questions though, as there is evidence for and against its use, mainly against? as in scientific evidence arguing against it (it's still pretty early in the morning where I am - give me time to pop in the links to what I was reading... many moons ago...).

I did what the books on nutrition for diabetes said to do - contacted my trusty great-diagnostician- doc and asked her - I think it's the Americans who suggest this? (Yes, for legal reasons as above.) And she said there is not evidence that supplementing with vitamins and minerals does anything, but go ahead. So I did, and stopped bugging the poor woman. I am sure she is grateful these some 6 years later! (Yes, uninterested in supplements, for sure.)

My own attitude is to tank up on what I might have been deficient in, as I had been living on what they call the SAD (Standard American Diet) so obviously malnourished, was my opinion. And as chromium is one of the minerals necessary for good blood glucose regulation, I took that, amongst others. If it was just expensive urine - ie I was just urinating it out - I have no idea, and it may have just been a psychological boost at the time. Who knows! I don't mind, as it was part of a big focus on getting better with good nutrition I was on at the time. (Still am, really, just by food.)

And yes, I did get a lot better, with the focus on good food, supplementing as an aside, and for me - getting regularly active and muscle building. I am not a reversal story though, but I did get much better.

paulandbez

Thanks all for your replies. I'm in a bit of a mess with my diabetes at the moment and I guess that when things are like they are you try anything. I'll get some and try it. The 8 quid to possibly help us worth it.

Reactions: AloeSvea