ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wish I could but bad liver... still. I think I loose weight easier on water only. Even without whisky. ;)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal view only is that I may/will drink diet drinks but that will not lead me to consume more carbs-ie I won't then eat more things with sugar. In that case provided it doesn't raise your blood sugar levels I think that in moderation they help give something different to drink. I also think that if you want an alcoholic drink then they help because you can add a carb free alcohol to them.

I am in this mostly to keep my blood sugar levels under control. I like the side effect that is weight loss and have a lot more to lose but this is for life so if the weight loss is slow but a drink helps me cope emotionally then that's what I will do. Having said that I do find them quite sweet so my consumption at the moment (also winter here) is about a third of a can a day. I open a can and it can last for days. In summer I probably have 3 a week or so.

If it doesn't impact may blood sugar levels I am okay with it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Nothing wrong with water unless of course it's got loads of things in it like Fluoride which will definitely mess with your blood sugars

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wary of anything using sweetners (but I am only recently diagnosed, it may change when I get bored! ). I try to keep consumption of anything sweetened to just once a week.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's an individual thing I think, I used to drink them, don't anymore, gave them up around 10 yrs ago. Always felt terrible when I drank them, but then I noticed I felt like this anytime I had something with aspartame in it. I seem to react badly to that stuff. That was the connection I noticed.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some diet clubs encourage them to cook with diet drinks for flavouring. I've never tried it but I can see why.plain chicken can be boring. Beef is too tasty to mess with, in my opinion. Loads of BBQs lately but no flavourings for us. I've cube chilled drinks though.
I feel it can restrict weight loss.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I go through periods of drinking no-sugar carbonated drinks - I guess warm seasons is one of the reasons? Having bottles of spirits that I like to mix carbonated drinks with being another.

I stay away from the aspartame sweetened ones. I try to get the groovy stevia sweetened ones, and a healthy live cultured sodas with a mother etc although that costs - egads NZ$8 a can as opposed to the NZ$2.50-3 a can of the no-sugar coke/sprite/L&P brigade. I have done stints making my own fermented sodas, and that was VERY labour-intensive, so I am reasonably happy to fork out the $8 for the Aussie groovy sodas instead, and see it as a live culture treat.

None of them affect my BG, nor my weight. None of them make me want to eat and drink sugary things as the article suggested. And I already have type 2 so I guess that rules out me being more likely to get diabetes from drinking them :).

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I drink Fanta Orange, and have done for at least 50 years. I suspect there was no diet version when I first started drinking it. I changed to diet Fanta about 25 years ago. At that time I decided to give up sugar as my mother died of type 2 around that time.

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 4 years ago, and I see no reason to stop drinking diet Fanta. I've never detected any adverse effect on my blood sugar from drinking it.

I drink about 2x2 litre bottles per week.

I suppose it's a personal choice.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some diet clubs encourage them to cook with diet drinks for flavouring
Some diet clubs have very little idea about nutrition or metabolism. They just regurgitate eatwell into ever newer and shinier and “easier to follow” packaging