Glucose and Saccharose in antibiotics

rubypops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening
I have been prescribed two sachets of an antibiotic (Fosfomycin) in powder which have to be dissolved in water and drunk.

I have seen that the second ingredient is saccharose and the third is glucose.

Is this a sachet of sugar? There is no further information apart from this list of ingredients.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Good evening
I have been prescribed two sachets of an antibiotic (Fosfomycin) in powder which have to be dissolved in water and drunk.

Is this a sachet of sugar? There is no further information apart from this list of ingredients.

Altogether now, "a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down" .

Bearing in mind how the drug is administered I would assume it has been sweetened because it would taste unpleasant otherwise.

Is there no indication of quantity of the contents on the packaging, or on-line?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening

Ingredients have to be listed in order of their proportions in the product, so if the first ingredient is the antibiotic, that's what there'll be more of.

When it comes to something like antibiotics, and the course is short, I tend to just get on with it. I'm a diet controlled T2, so don't have anything (aside from diet and exercise) with which to try to manage any resultant rise, but I tend to think if I need, as in your example, antibiotics, then ridding myself of the infection they have been prescribed fr is more important than a couple of days of erratic sugars, although the infection might be playing havoc with the blood glucose all by itself!.

Obviously, as a T1, the usual suggestion, as I understand it. would be to test plenty and adjust where necessary. If your numbers are very high mid-teens or higher, then testing for ketones is considered prudent.

I hope you feel better soon.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can also ask your doctor if they can prescribe the same antibiotic in tablet or capsule form. That will have a lot less sugars. Or see what happens when taking it and correct.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is not poisonous it is just not suitable in large quantities for diabetics. If this is small sachet, then even if it was all sugar it is not going to do any harm to have sachet or two and certainly better than having an acute infection.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.