Dexcom G6 is chlorinated chicken at a huge price

andrewkoudr

Just about my experience with Dexcom GMS. I paid about 2000 pounds for a year, 2 of 4 transmitters failed, one after one month of work, the second after two weeks of work (instead of 3 months) . My claims for replacement were declined because of use of unofficial software. It is obviuos that this is a hardware failure. So the actual price of Dexcom G6 is twice as high. Be careful.

jsomers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am having similar difficulties with Medtronic com sensor. 3 of my last sensors stop working around day 3 to 5. It will be interesting to hear what other people thing of Dexcon 6 as I am thinking of switching my pump to t slim x2 which uses Dexcon 6

Reactions: donnellysdogs
C

CelalDari

I wish one of the companies would create an accurate and affordable CGM

andrewkoudr

I am having similar difficulties with Medtronic com sensor. 3 of my last sensors stop working around day 3 to 5. It will be interesting to hear what other people thing of Dexcon 6 as I am thinking of switching my pump to t slim x2 which uses Dexcon 6

Hello, some important things regarding Dexcom :

(1) if you sign a contract, read small fonts about replacements
(2) official Dexcom software is installable only on IPhone (specific models) and Samsung (specific models).
(3) You can buy their receiver instead of phone (do not know price)
(4) If you install their software on your phone, it will send all info about your CGM activity (and maybe more) to Dexcom server
(5) Both sensors (cheaper) and transmitters (expensive) break very often : during my 12 months exercise ~10 of 36 sensors and 2 of 4 transmitters broke

AK

Reactions: oldgreymare

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, the most important is glucose alarm which is missing in Libra. AK

The most important to me is that it gives you results that actually work:). Unfortunately after 8 months of using the libre I developed an allergy and despite all my efforts the meter is now completely inaccurate for me (results out by random amounts in either direction, so I can't even use it for trends). Am about to try out the Dexcom g6 to see if it works better, wish me luck!

Reactions: kev-w

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hello, some important things regarding Dexcom :

(1) if you sign a contract, read small fonts about replacements
(2) official Dexcom software is installable only on IPhone (specific models) and Samsung (specific models).
(3) You can buy their receiver instead of phone (do not know price)
(4) If you install their software on your phone, it will send all info about your CGM activity (and maybe more) to Dexcom server
(5) Both sensors (cheaper) and transmitters (expensive) break very often : during my 12 months exercise ~10 of 36 sensors and 2 of 4 transmitters broke

AK
Sorry to hear about your experience with the G6. I'm just under a year of personally funding one and it has made all the difference to my control. That said I've had one transmitter fail and two sensors fail. More recently I've had two sensors fail to insert properly. So far Dexcom have been quick to replace all (I only use linked to an iPhone 8).
My dilemma is now which BG monitor to use to calibrate - my favourite and I think regarded as most accurate was for years OneTouch Ultra, but almost impossible to source strips anymore. Other meters seem to vary +/- 2mol sometimes more.
Will you continue with the G6?

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like @oldgreymare, I've used the G6 with a Samsung S7 since it was brought out, and like @EllieM had horrendous skin issues and poor accuracy with the libre.

In 2 years of using Dexcom products, I've had 2 'fail to insert' sensor losses, both replaced with no problems and the failed sensors returned, post free to Dexcom. Other than that, I had a transmitter that lost it's Bluetooth pairing with my phone, which technical service talked me through the procedure to re-pair after they reset the transmitter.

I've been type 1 for a few years and even in that time the progress in making an accurate CGM at a just affordable price has made all the difference to my control. Hopefully, the next step would be for a closed loop pump/cgm system to be available without having to go through the NHS for it.

Reactions: oldgreymare

andrewkoudr

Sorry to hear about your experience with the G6. I'm just under a year of personally funding one and it has made all the difference to my control. That said I've had one transmitter fail and two sensors fail. More recently I've had two sensors fail to insert properly. So far Dexcom have been quick to replace all (I only use linked to an iPhone 8).
My dilemma is now which BG monitor to use to calibrate - my favourite and I think regarded as most accurate was for years OneTouch Ultra, but almost impossible to source strips anymore. Other meters seem to vary +/- 2mol sometimes more.
Will you continue with the G6?

Hello and thank you. About the meters : yes, looks like One touch is most accurate (it takes more blood) and it meets the current standard to measurements (something like plus-minus 0.5 in the range up to 5 mmol/l - do not remember exactly). Currently I have CareSense from NHS - I compared different meters (One touch, ICom, CareSense) and CarSense definitely does not meet the requirements but it is stable in always showing 0.8-1.0 higher figures - that is, if it shows 3.9 the actual value being 2.9.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Have been using the Dexcom G6 just under 2 years now, no transmitter issues and about 5 replacement sensors which have all been replaced no issues. Customer service is excellent and the G6, it has completely changed my control, I use the clarity software which tells me about trends and helps me with tweaking my ratios, had brought my HbA1c down to 42, it helps me avoid hypos and hypers with the alarm, I exercise for longer now.

It’s worth the cost as far as I am concerned and much more trustworthy than the libre.

Reactions: kev-w

cxl0702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daxcom was the first sensor I used. It was daunting experience after being diagnosed for a week using this huge needle to get a sensor in my stomach. But then having to calibrate every 12 hours and it being way out when doing so. I did not like having something on my stomach just did not look right in a pair of swimming shorts. The Libre on the other hand ticks all the boxes discrete more precise. But you have to flash it so when I am having my sleeping lows which is rather often there is no warning. If libre could use Bluetooth daxcom would end in a day. So yes daxcom is chlorinated chicken But libre is (insert good thing imported from the US). Also to those saying it is the same price as the libre which it almost is to be fair there must be a good reason the nhs don’t opt for it over the libre.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've self funded Dexcom for the last 6 years. It was an absolute revelation to me, suddenly to see what was really going on with my blood sugars, as opposed to the theory.
I find the G6 works very well for me, with hardly any calibrations.
I've only ever had one sensor replaced - it wouldn't release from the inserter. That was painful!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I've self funded Dexcom for the last 6 years. It was an absolute revelation to me, suddenly to see what was really going on with my blood sugars, as opposed to the theory.
I find the G6 works very well for me, with hardly any calibrations.
I've only ever had one sensor replaced - it wouldn't release from the inserter. That was painful!
Recently I've had two inserters fail to retract - challenging to remove! But replaced straight away by Dexcom.