Non-scale and Scale Victories!

Tim1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One NSV and one SV

After starting daily walking last September to aid weight loss and Diabetes treatment I have gradually increased my walking from being able to just manage a 2.5km walk at an average pace of 4kph to 16km very brisk walk at an average pace of 6.5 kph however, where I live is on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales(UK) and quite flat. I was a keen Hill walker in my youth but the top of the fells have been quite out of my reach for many years.I

I decided on Tuesday to see if I could manage my regular length walk but with the addition of a big hill added. After a bit of research I decided to tackle a fell called 'Whernside,' the highest of Yorkshire's three peaks. Not huge in the grand scheme of things but it looked extremely intimidating to me as I arrived. Long story short, I completed the walk with no problems, 9 miles, 1700ft of ascent and I was overtaking other folk as I went! The steeps, still felt steep but I could power through and regain my breath quickly after the occasional short stop. My walk information said it should take between 3h45mins and 4h45mins. I managed it 3h50mins including a long photography stop at the top!

Not exactly Everest but 8 months ago it might as well have been!

My SV this week, even though the one above is my most important one, is finally managing to get past the 50kg weight loss mark (only by 0.2kg but hey it counts!) even though it has been quite tough to keep things going through lockdown!

Last edited: