Annual blood test and diabetes checks still happening?

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Hope everyone is safe and keeping well.

I have my yearly blood test/eye check etc in march/april but this year due to situation we all are in, I have not received the letter from NHS.

Just before I contact my GP, can I confirm if you are having your tests done as per normal schedule?

N

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an HbA1c and cholesterol check blood taken last week. Still waiting for the results.
This was a semi annual as I reminded the last doctor I spoke to and the PPG that they should be semi annual according to NICE guidelines.
However I was very surprised to get the call for the blood draw. Surgery had one other patient that looked a bit like an emergency.

Reactions: dbr10

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok then I must contact surgery. Last check I had was last may I think. Nurse at that time said we will move to annual checks now due to my control.

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I had my bloods taken in early March but my review appointment was changed to a telephone call. I'll be interested to hear what they say to you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok then I must contact surgery. Last check I had was last may I think. Nurse at that time said we will move to annual checks now due to my control.
If you want to be difficult (like me)
Then the NICE guidelines are here
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#hba1c-measurement-and-targets
and the relevant part is this
Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 08.37.56.png

I'm booked in for a phone consult tomorrow to "discuss my results" ... which could be interesting..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nsh2111 - To be honest, I think it depends on the surgery. Mine have been particularly unhelpful (in my view) during this period - even refusing to arrange bloods requested by the hospital consultant, until the consultant intervened.

Our local hospital walk in bloods clinic has been open throughout, but my GP would not even issue papers to allow me to go there.

I have no idea when they will adjust their position, so I would asy to contact your GP and take it from there.

Good luck with it all!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My annual eye screening is always in May at our local community hospital. (On the National scheme). So far I have not received an invitation.

My surgery no longer sends out invitations for review blood draws. We have to remember when we are due and phone for an appointment. I am due this month but so far haven't rung the surgery about it.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was due my 6 month check last month but was told by the surgery that they are not doing any diabetic or asthma (for hubby) reviews at the moment but to keep checking.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I always take away blood test forms for my next review and my surgery expects me to remember and call to setup an appointment. I phoned last week and they didn't really know what was going on (!). We agreed I would go to the hospital bloods clinic to get them done and then call to setup a phone review. I look at my results online so even if I have to wait a bit for an appointment I will know how I'm doing. I would complain to the Practice Manager if the surgery said it wasn't doing reviews - they have a duty to do them and no excuse if it's a phone review.

Buzzer81

In have managed to get a blood test for tomorrow at my local gp surgery. I booked it in 10 days ago. It is a follow up to my previous blood test in February. I also have a consultation with the surgery nurse to go through some things so will be interested to hear what she has to say. More interesting will be my blood results, and what effect I have managed to have on them within 4 months.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had bloods done just over 2 weeks ago. You have to go to drs surgery in my area at the minute, as hospital only doing inpatient blood tests. Choice of having blood test in surgery or in the car park if you preferred.

Dark Horse

Diabetic Eye Screening has been suspended for people who were being seen annually (unless pregnant). Some people who were being seen in the digital surveillance arm of the eye screening programme are being offered appointments with special precautions being taken.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hospital appointment has been changed to a phone appointment, I get some blood tests done at my GPs but I'm not sure what's happening with those as they have 2 sites and the one I go to has been closed since March, the other site is still open but I'm not sure what you can make appointments for, I can't get there anyway

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just before I contact my GP, can I confirm if you are having your tests done as per normal schedule?

My regular checkup seems to have gone out the window, maybe because I have a shielding letter so in theory shouldn't be going out. I will remind them soon, I just have to ring to make appointment.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My gp hasnt called me for mine and hospital cancelled my annual appointment. Did not offer telephone appointment either.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All my asthma and diabetic appointments have been cancelled. Including retinopathy check. I was also due to get a hearing aid, but that has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes like many my GP have suspended any routine face to face checkups, but will do phone consultations and of course you can make appointments to see a doctor/nurse if you have any specific concerns. My consultant did a phone consultation a few weeks ago as I was due my annual clinic. I am on a libre so they really easily saw my results, I just hadn't had annual bloods or HbA1c but I didn't have any concerns so no reason to request them.

If you have concerns I'd say ring for an appointment, otherwise I believe all GPs have been asked to suspend routine appointments but could do phone calls still.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my telephone call from the nurse this morning but no results!.. and my surgery wonder why I find them so frustrating..
Results have now appeared online and for the third time my HbA1c is 26.8 mmol/m
That sounds suspiciously like that's the lowest value the test gives to me.. I find it hard to believe my bloods are that steady..
Cholesterol nonsense will no doubt ensue as the bloods were taken after a 4 day fast due to an upset tum (still not quite sure why) trigs elevated as expected.

Reactions: dbr10 and Buzzer81

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m in Scotland , was due a diabetic check at hospital in March it was cancelled due to Covid. I had a telephone call from consultant last week just to see how I was keeping etc. I asked him when things might get back to some sort of normality he said probably 6 months at least. I had a Hb1ac and other bloods taken in March so have not needed blood tests . I normally get toenails cut with chiropodist but obviously that’s not happened not too bad though as I only have 5 toes lol

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP practice text me and asked me to take my blood pressure 3 times at 5 minute intervals and text them the results. Obviously they aren't too worried about my HbA1C or cholesterol or kidneys. Still, hopefully they will be fine.